Updated: First PS4 Games Shown at PlayStation Meeting

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Updated: First PS4 Games Shown at PlayStation Meeting

Bungie's Destiny, Ubisoft's Watch Dogs, and new inFamous and Killzone titles are among the first PS4 games shown revealed at Sony's PlayStation Meeting.

During Sony's much-anticipated PlayStation Meeting event in NYC this evening, the publisher finally officially announced the PlayStation 4. Among the talk of specs, hardware, controllers, and cloud gaming, a few PS4 games were also revealed.

[gallery=1060]

The first actual game shown at the PlayStation Meeting was Knack, a cartoony title in which a robot named Mac is the key to helping humans defeat orcs. Knack is directed by Mark Cerny, whose previous work includes Killzone 3 and God of War III, and it will also be playable on the Vita via Cross-Play.

Killzone: Shadow Fall [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122267-The-Helghast-Come-Knocking-in-Killzone-Shadow-Fall] was introduced by Guerilla Games' Hermen Hulst. The next game in the long-running Killzone series has a conflict that draws parallels to Cold War Berlin, with the Helghast fighting for their right to exist while the Vektans are fighting for survival. A trailer showed a huge explosion in Vekta City and several minutes of gameplay.

Matt Southern from Evolution Studios showed off Driveclub, which the developer "literally waited for the technology to be available" to make. Players can race asynchronously against others in real time, customizing the vehicle, time of day, weather, and time of each challenge. In addition to setting this up on the PS4, you can use the Driveclub app on your phone or tablet to send out a challenge. Southern promised extremely detailed vehicles, down to the rainbows you get when you wax the plastic headlamp covers.

Nate Fox came onstage to introduce Sucker Punch's PS4-exclusive inFamous: Second Son, stating "our security comes at a high price: our freedom." What happens when super-powered humans become a threat to security? We got a glimpse in a trailer.

Up next was The Witness [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93646-Braid-Creator-Teases-New-Game-The-Witness] from Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid. The puzzle game, which was announced in 2009, will be exclusive to the PS4 for its launch window, and feature 25 hours of gameplay.

Sony also promised plenty of third-party support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122268-These-Are-The-PS4s-Promised-3rd-Party-Developers], and said it was just scratching the surface of the PS4 line-up, more of which will be revealed throughout the year. The first third-party game shown off at the PlayStation Meeting was Capcom's deep down, revealed by Yoshinori Ono. It utilizes a new engine, codenamed Panta Rhei, designed to take advantage of the PS4's technology. The game and engine are being developed concurrently.

After another look at the Agni's Philosophy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117723-Behold-the-Next-Generation-of-Final-Fantasy] tech demo, Square Enix's Final Fantasy Brand Director Shinji Hashimoto said that the developer was working on a Final Fantasy title, but divulged no information. Hashimoto promised more at E3 2013.

Yves Guillemot of Ubisoft said that players would be "super excited by the PlayStation 4" before bringing out Jonathan Morin to talk about Watch Dogs, which was announced at E3 2012. A new live demo showed what exploring the open world of Watch Dogs would look like on the PS4.

In a first for a console presentation, Blizzard's Chris Metzen took the stage to announce that "Blizzard and Sony have entered into a strategic partnership through which we will take over the world." He then announced Diablo III [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122269-Blizzard-Bringing-Diablo-III-to-PlayStation] for the PlayStation 4 AND PS3. More information is coming next month at PAX East.

Finally, Activision officially announced that Bungie's Destiny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10196-Bungies-Words-of-Destiny] is coming to the PS4. There will be exclusive content for the PlayStation community.

We'll have more PS4 news as it's announced.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"Helghast fighting for their right to exist while the Vektans are fighting for survival."

This exact line has been used several times without quotes... and it's just WEIRD.

I mean "right to exist" and "survival" mean the same thing in this context.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I don't think Square Enix has yet to realize that "we're working on a new Final Fantasy title" is a statement that has lost a good deal of weight in recent years. Show me, don't tell me. And also don't show me a trailer you've already shown before.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Wow, Diablo 3; I'd be so excited if it hadn't already been out for a year and was good!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
dagens24 said:
Wow, Diablo 3; I'd be so excited if it hadn't already been out for a year and was good!
I saw your quote and immediately re-read the article. I apparently missed that. I, for one, am excited about this because I could not get the thing to run on any of my computers. It just sat at the install screen saying 0% while the text that Cain was suppose to be reading scrolled across my screen.

Another inFamous game...hm. I wonder how Yahtzee's going to take that. He was very pleased that they had the nerve to end it with just two games. Guess not anymore.
Sheo_Dagana said:
I don't think Square Enix has yet to realize that "we're working on a new Final Fantasy title" is a statement that has lost a good deal of weight in recent years. Show me, don't tell me. And also don't show me a trailer you've already shown before.
What if...what if this new console is finally powerful enough that they can officially say they are remaking Final Fantasy VII? Would that be good? I'd be excited for that, or pretty much any of the old games being remade.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Have to say it was interesting but nothing i'm really excited about. also, anyone else feel that Destiny looked and felt a bit too Halo?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
The Witness now a (even temporary) PS4 exclusive?

SONY! I've been waiting for that game for YEARS now. This is not making me want to buy your goram console. This is making me furious at everyone involved.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like that Jonathan Blow has been making Myst for the last three and a half years.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Going game by game...

Well, Diablo III is certainly their "Armored Edition" for the PS4...
Capcom and Squeenix just showed off tech demos for their new engines.
InFamous got me excited, but there wasn't any gameplay. Knack looked like fun, good to see a new IP.
Watch_Dogs was easily best of the night. Shame for Sony it's a multiplatform title. Still, it brought the hype.
Destiny was good, and I'll take this chance to express my dislike of console-exclusive DLC.

Killzone was MVP for being exclusive, having gameplay and looking good doing so. A mixed bag overall, I'll wait for E3 before condoning or condemning.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
...So a Bungie game is coming to PS4? Hell, color me intrigued. I thought it was going to be another Xbox Exclusive.

It's not enough to make me want the console at launch. (I learned the hard way with the PS3). But when I do eventually get it, preferably after a price drop or two, I'll probably grab Destiny along with it. It looks like a pretty awesome game!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
InFAMOUS and Killzone eh? Intrigued be I but probably not £400 intrigued. We shall see how the coming months unfold.

Though will say right now: If Guerilla games gives me as full Helghast campaign, I will buy it. Day 1. It will be mine to slaghter the ISA scum.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
omicron1 said:
The Witness now a (even temporary) PS4 exclusive?

SONY! I've been waiting for that game for YEARS now. This is not making me want to buy your goram console. This is making me furious at everyone involved.
This was about my reaction.

Needs my Myst clones.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Ok, I kinda saw the Watch Dogs one going into the PS4. Kinda dissapointed about it, though. But overall, I'm more interested in the PS4 so far than I ever was inerested on the WiiU.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Another inFamous game? What in the actual fuck?
And here I was thinking that Sucker Punch were pretty awesome for ending the series with such a phenomenal endings. Guess that goes out the window. Seriously, how are they going to explain this?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
What if...what if this new console is finally powerful enough that they can officially say they are remaking Final Fantasy VII? Would that be good? I'd be excited for that, or pretty much any of the old games being remade.
The PS3 was powerful enough to remake Final Fantasy VII. I would rather they focus their efforts on making a new Final Fantasy title that's actually good. Regardless of how powerful the machine is, if this new Final Fantasy is all flare and no substance, like their last few debacles, it won't matter how many they make, the franchise will still be dead to me.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Hmm. Going to have to find some video now.

Those screenshots are really rather underwhelming. Maybe I've been spoiled by owning a 3 year old mid-range PC, but that statement in and of itself should be a cause for concern...

Or maybe it's that old diminishing returns thing.
It's been a long time since I've really been impressed with anything graphically...