US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, I have no problem with people watching the show. That said, I am kind of looking forward to when I don't hear about it anymore without looking for it. It's mostly because 4 years is a long time for anything to stay in the spotlight, especially a niche show.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Personally I'm waiting for other squads to be named after parts of other TV shows.

The "I Just Blue Myself" Bomb Squad, for example.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Worgen said:
So your saying the pilots in your country are too wussy to like ponies? Its ok, not every county can be manly.
Oh here we go...

The old "You're just too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colourful ponies" argument.

I'm sorry, but no. It's a show that is literally made to sell little plastic horses to little girls. Like it if you want, but don't act like you're some kind of paragon of masculinity for doing so.
It does sounds like you are too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colorful ponies. Seriously, that sounds like your argument. "Men should only like manly things." My argument is "if you always take the path of least resistance, are you really a man?"

Newsflash, everything is designed to make money. The new mlp was actually designed around that a bit less than most toyetic things. It was greenlit to sell toys but the creative team behind it was interested in more.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Compatriot Block said:
Honestly, I have no problem with people watching the show. That said, I am kind of looking forward to when I don't hear about it anymore without looking for it. It's mostly because 4 years is a long time for anything to stay in the spotlight, especially a niche show.
I think the size of that spotlight thing was always a bit overstated.

There were a few months back in spring 2011, when bronies were actually pretty loud about spreading the word, and making sure that as many potential future bronies as possible hear about it.

Since then, I would even say that's compared to it's recent significance in online geek culture, the fandom's presence was relatively subdued compared to others, due to hater oversensitivity. Basically every time anyone would even try to post a pony-themed image macro in a thread that is already full of Futurama/Star Wars/Spiderman/anime/etc. image macros, and someone will lose his mind about bronies overtaking the Internet.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Entitled said:
Compatriot Block said:
I think the size of that spotlight thing was always a bit overstated.

There were a few months back in spring 2011, when bronies were actually pretty loud about spreading the word, and making sure that as many potential future bronies as possible hear about it.

Since then, I would even say that's compared to it's recent significance in online geek culture, the fandom's presence was relatively subdued compared to others, due to hater oversensitivity. Basically every time anyone would even try to post a pony-themed image macro in a thread that is already full of Futurama/Star Wars/Spiderman/anime/etc. image macros, and someone will lose his mind about bronies overtaking the Internet.
And I think the viciousness in the vast majority of cases is overstated. Obviously there are people who flip out when it's mentioned, but a lot of people I see seem to cap out at "Oh come on man, the show's really not so amazing."

And the whole image posting thing would be just as annoying as the Sonic OC fad, but those people tend to keep to themselves from what I've seen.

I think some people just take issue with people defining themselves as "bronies" instead of MLP fans. Just like they might consider Avatar fans calling themselves Brorra's or something.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
At first I was bewildered at this.

Then I actually read the article and found out the students chose the patches "ironically". That's actually kind of funny.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Worgen said:
It does sounds like you are too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colorful ponies. Seriously, that sounds like your argument. "Men should only like manly things." My argument is "if you always take the path of least resistance, are you really a man?"
I watched a couple of episodes, and I found it to be a boring piece of shit that is too girly to the detriment of the plot.

Oh they stop the bad guy by making friends with him. Well that was sure worth the twenty minutes building it up. /sarcasm

And what's the point of bringing up some fan video? You can't count that for anything, otherwise I could say Harry Potter is the darkest literary work made by mankind because of all the inevitable gore-fics out there on the internet.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It warrants a face-palm, but, I guess they are students, and I suppose it's an interesting "FU" to the enemy.

Kinda like a bunch of infantry with Barbie as a logo, it's embarrassing for the enemy to see that fighting them is thought of so trivially.

That's without getting into the creepy "Brony" thing. The less said about that, the better.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
I think some people just take issue with people defining themselves as "bronies" instead of MLP fans. Just like they might consider Avatar fans calling themselves Brorra's or something.
seems a bit of an odd complaint to me

Whovians
Trekkies
Browncoats
Potterheads
Sherlockians

it's not like it's the only fandom that does that.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Compatriot Block said:
Though that itself just seems to be another example of random cherry-picking and getting obsessed with a detail of his particular fandom instead of any other, without people having to admit what their real problem is.

Fandoms picking up a unique nickname has been a pretty well-established tradition ever since around... The Baker Street Irregulars, I guess? TvTropes has a prtty long list for Fan community Nicknames [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanCommunityNicknames]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Not a fan of the show but that's pretty cool.

Innegativeion said:
Genocidicles said:
Oh here we go...

The old "You're just too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colourful ponies" argument.
Nice straw-man you have there.
Before I came to be a regular forum goer, I had never heard of the straw-man argument before. By now it should have it's own logo since it's used so much.

Something like this.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Not a fan of the show but that's pretty cool.

Innegativeion said:
Genocidicles said:
Oh here we go...

Nice straw-man you have there.
Before I came to be a regular forum goer, I had never heard of the straw-man argument before. By now it should have it's own logo since it's used so much.

Something like this.
how about this one?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Worgen said:
I watched a couple of episodes, and I found it to be a boring piece of shit that is too girly to the detriment of the plot.

Oh they stop the bad guy by making friends with him. Well that was sure worth the twenty minutes building it up. /sarcasm

And what's the point of bringing up some fan video? You can't count that for anything, otherwise I could say Harry Potter is the darkest literary work made by mankind because of all the inevitable gore-fics out there on the internet.
Ha, I was right, not manly enough to be able to enjoy ponies.

So you're incapable of liking anything unless its got a head on a pike? What a sad way to live your life. You seem to have a very juvenile idea of manly, I image you think that god of war is the most manly thing ever created.

That video wasn't for you, that was for people with taste. I just didn't feel like making multiple posts.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Oh my goodness, that is awesome.
It' nice to hear that everybody was actually into it. Well, some are into it because they're legitimately into it and the rest are into it for the humor and irony, but hey, either way's a win in my book.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Ishal said:
I'm starting to see regular posters come into threads like this and post snarky one sentence quips... because reasons. They think they are funny I guess. He and a few others are regulars for this sort of thing.
I agree. It's disappointing how that kind of passive-aggressive snark is allowed by the mods.

Actually, had this thread been posted in Off-Topic, it would've been locked by now because of all the arguments and derailments.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Anyone care to enlighten me why the Escapist forums seems unable to discuss this topic civilly?

I mean, it's a fucking TV show. We all watch TV shows. There's no reason why THIS particular TV show should spark so much vitriol.

EDIT: And just to prove my point, look at the next post.