US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Genocidicles said:
I watched a couple of episodes, and I found it to be a boring piece of shit that is too girly to the detriment of the plot.

Oh they stop the bad guy by making friends with him. Well that was sure worth the twenty minutes building it up. /sarcasm
Hmm, Discord got turned to stone and then later Fluttershy tamed him so it couldn't be him, Sombra got blown the fuck up, Nightmare Moon, Queen Chrysalis, and Sunset Shimmer are all women so you can't be talking about main villains.
Iron Will was more just a force than a villain and wasn't befriended, the red dragon got kicked out of his house and not befriended, Rainbow's bullies weren't befriended and also weren't really villains, just a source to voice her insecurities...

I mean, not to call you a liar or anything, maybe I'm just sleepy and can't remember, but I can't think of a single male villain that gets befriended by the Mane Six at any point in the course of the three seasons and one movie that have happened thus far. Care to explain what episodes in specific you've watched?

OT: Good for them, I guess, though that badge is pretty weaksauce.
Though military bronies aren't really all that newsy, since back when I first joined there were Rainbow Dashes drawn onto military bunks in Germany and the like.

Though the fact that someone in the chain of command was brought this request and approved it is very lol worthy.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Muh, they can do as they please I guess =p. Seems pretty much in line with the wacky stories from my friend who just came back from working for the Norwegian Military Police. The nonsense that goes on in army bases... The same day they got their handcuffs half the base ended up cuffed to fences, beds and lockers... It seems they aren't even fans of the show really, just having fun and being silly. Sounds about right to me X3.

I don't mind MLP fans or any other fandom really, they can like what they like as long as nobody gets hurt! I do mind it a bit when people mistake me for one, becuase I just like plain old regular ponies! I don't want people asuming I know what it's all about because I haven't seen a single episode, and I don't want people "hating" (uugh) on me for being a Brony or whatever the female equivalent is.

bibblles said:
OMG your big burly supersoldier toys killing the shit out of those cartoon pony toys is so manly D=. Let's be perfectly honest here, 40k is a 10-year-olds idea of mature and grown up, seriously... I have no problem with Warhammer fans, like I said they can like what they like, but lets not dress it up as the ultimate manly hobby. It's painting plastic miniatures, playing tabletop games and reading bad fiction! It's fun, certainly, I even have a little Tau army of plastic toys that get destroyed by better players, and I'm having a good time doing that.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Worgen said:
It does sounds like you are too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colorful ponies. Seriously, that sounds like your argument. "Men should only like manly things." My argument is "if you always take the path of least resistance, are you really a man?"
Yes. Either way, you're still a man. Do you identify as male? Then you're a bloke whether you like ponies or, fuck knows, drinking beer and rasslin' in the nude with other guys in a totally heterosexual way.

The whole idea that "X is manly, Y is not" spawns a lot of the stupid shit surrounding the Bronomenon, as defenders and detractors both make assertions that their masculinity is greater/lesser because they watch/don't watch the show. This is why you get people like the users on Conservapedia claiming that atheists aren't real men and that they "lack machismo"; some silly need to prove that what someone likes makes them more or less of a man and therefore being more closely identified with your traditional gender role makes you a better human being.

It's silly, and it ought to stop. Watching ponies makes you no more nor less of a man, it just makes you a man who likes to watch ponies.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Radoh said:
It was one of the Discord ones. It didn't end with him being turned to stone.

They made friends at the end and he turned good, or less evil. At least that's what it looked like to me. I'm not in a hurry to re watch it any time soon.

Worgen said:
Ha, I was right, not manly enough to be able to enjoy ponies.

So you're incapable of liking anything unless its got a head on a pike? What a sad way to live your life. You seem to have a very juvenile idea of manly, I image you think that god of war is the most manly thing ever created.
No, it doesn't have to be filled to the brim with gore and violence for me to watch it. It just needs to have some decent conflict resolution. Making friends with the bad guy is not that.

MoeMints

Apr 30, 2013
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
You realize you picked two of three best animated programs on the planet (Phineas and Ferb being the third)... not the other 90% of the dreck, right? Should I have clarified that MLP's faults can be found in 90% of all children's programs, and almost 99% for the intended age group?
I don't see how that isn't downplaying his legitimacy for what's already a subjective opinion regardless.

I watch a series where the embodiment fuel of the main villain and monster of the weeks are even the vaguest and most human of faults.

Guy who was never introduced besides a background character : "Oh, I really dislike that this line is taking so dang long, but that would rather be selfish, wouldn't it?"
Recurring Villain Summoner :"HHE ALREADY CORRECTED HERSELF? Eh, for some strange reason, that's still enough to get a GIANT ENEMY CRAB out of the utter hate of inconvenience."

I don't mind if people dislike it for the technicolor designs which aren't even my favorite of the franchise, the hammy friendship obsession, and the busybody lead character. Since even if someone does the exact same thing like Kamen Rider or Power Rangers/Super Sentai, the execution and combination of the same faults have different context and appeal.

There's a point where you're also giving no reason to not just watch the shows with the same faults and why it shouldn't be considered this amazing thing.

Also I liked Kick Buttowski, Sym-bionic Titan, and Motorcity WAAAAAAAY more than Phineas and Ferb.

EDIT: Also numerous experiences has told me just holding hands and expecting happiness throughout has lead to the most dreadful things I've witness.
For example, just about every anime club I've been apart of.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
I think its an interesting development for the air force, and to be honest, if it helps inspire a sense of community, cooperation, and a better attitude, who are we to say whats right or wrong?

As a kind of off-topic bit, this post reminded me of one of the first games (and by extension anime) I ended up playing. My dad was waaay into military games and bought U.N. Squadron for the SNES in my youth. I loved that game and found out later it was a localization of the game based on an anime called Area 88.

ANYWAY, to the point, the main character painted the following image on his plane.

Kinda funny when I thought about it. When I rediscovered this game, I grabbed my current avatar and replaced my steam avatar with it, you'd be surprised how many peeps assumed it had to do with MLP and took exception to that during Team Fortress 2 games

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Worgen said:
So your saying the pilots in your country are too wussy to like ponies? Its ok, not every county can be manly.
Oh here we go...

The old "You're just too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colourful ponies" argument.

I'm sorry, but no. It's a show that is literally made to sell little plastic horses to little girls. Like it if you want, but don't act like you're some kind of paragon of masculinity for doing so.
I am not going through pages of posts to see if I am repeating someone else. If I am, I am sorry.

The 1980s TV show was cheaply made to sell cheaply made plastic ponies.

The 2010s show is a well written show created by one of the most talented animation writers in recent history. It has high production values, and even higher writing standards.

I can understand the error, you might not have known about the new show. I normally do not say this (piracy is wrong) go to YouTube and look it up. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING LABELED AS "CUPCAKES" (the horror, the horror)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Fanghawk said:
US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

[img_source="http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/07/nightly-roundup-703.html" site="Equestria Daily"]

Source: <a href=https://medium.com/war-is-boring/1ce5ba1c074b>Medium

I think I'm enjoying the fact that this has happened WAY more than I actually should. A funny aside in the rigours of a day spent flying planes and life in general, I like it :)

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
No wonder the USA didn't send any aircraft to the RIAT this year - they would have been laughed off the runway!

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Whoa, some people react so violently to this topic. Way to go. How easy you are to manipulate.

Maybe I should hope for some horrible tragedy to befall them so that they may learn to prioritise actual problems over stuff that doesn't involve them in any way.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Ferisar said:
Y...ay. I guess.

I won't be impressed until their planes shoot rainbows out as exhaust.
You mean like this? :D

www.thehighdefinite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/BMalfitano_F-22-Condensation-Rainbow.jpg

www.thehighdefinite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/BMalfitano_F-22-Condensation-Rainbow.jpg

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
At first, I sighed.
Then, I got angry.
Soon after, I laughed at the heresy.
Finally, I asked myself:
"Why is this a newstory?"

If bronies are tired of being victimised, could they please stop trying to be such a HUGE target. I am not fine with the MLP fanbase existing at such a size it is, amalgamating other fanbases into itself; but at the very least I don't want it in my face.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
JenSeven said:
Great news!
The dacia ... I mean the US airforce has a squadron consisting entirely out of furries.
You know like in that weird CSI episode with those disgusting animal suit people yiffing all over each other.
I'm sure if you're aware, but most furries aren't bronies; some might say that bronies are more extreme versions of furries, but I would like to distance myself from them.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
TheOrb said:
but at the very least I don't want it in my face.
This is the most common complaint of them all, but I have to ask...

Who exactly is putting it in your face?

The guys in the news article certainly aren't. The people in this thread aren't, and even if they were, you could just simply NOT click on this thread, and it would no longer be in your face.

So who then?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
TheOrb said:
JenSeven said:
Great news!
The dacia ... I mean the US airforce has a squadron consisting entirely out of furries.
You know like in that weird CSI episode with those disgusting animal suit people yiffing all over each other.
I'm sure if you're aware, but most furries aren't bronies; some might say that bronies are more extreme versions of furries, but I would like to distance myself from them.
Well, let's look at some MLP fanart...

Nope, can't show that...
No...
Wait, what?
That's an "interesting" crossover..
No
With urotsukidoji? Seriously?
What's ... I don't even...
*turns it sideways* With a melon?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
JenSeven said:
Well, let's look at some MLP fanart...

Nope, can't show that...
No...
Wait, what?
That's an "interesting" crossover..
No
With urotsukidoji? Seriously?
What's ... I don't even...
*turns it sideways* With a melon?
Just to let you know, there's been a bit of fan art already posted in this thread. And there's been no problems with it whatsoever.