US Air Force Confirms Existence of "Brony" Squadron

GryffinDarkBreed

Jul 21, 2008
Timedraven 117 said:
Worgen said:
Genocidicles said:
Worgen said:
So your saying the pilots in your country are too wussy to like ponies? Its ok, not every county can be manly.
Oh here we go...

The old "You're just too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colourful ponies" argument.

I'm sorry, but no. It's a show that is literally made to sell little plastic horses to little girls. Like it if you want, but don't act like you're some kind of paragon of masculinity for doing so.
It does sounds like you are too insecure in your masculinity to appreciate some colorful ponies. Seriously, that sounds like your argument. "Men should only like manly things." My argument is "if you always take the path of least resistance, are you really a man?"

Newsflash, everything is designed to make money. The new mlp was actually designed around that a bit less than most toyetic things. It was greenlit to sell toys but the creative team behind it was interested in more.

I would pay money for this. No joke i would pay for a kickstarter of this. :D

Anyways OT:

Its interesting to see, i was expecting a different patch but it was chosen ironically, although i wonder if any of them have actually seen Rainbow Dash. All honesty in real life she would be with the Blue Angels I think.
*AHEM.* Blue Angels are Navy. Thunderbirds are USAF. Rainbow Dash wouldn't be some chicken-spit ship-bound punk too scared of mortar shells to set foot on land.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
It saddens me that there are still people on here who view the show's fans in a negative light. I mean, it's cool if you don't care for the show, but don't insult people who do like it.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011

I really don't see how anyone, but 10 year old girls and their mothers can like this show.
It's not funny, it's not clever, it's just dumb. It's nothing but a overglorified toy commercial.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dalisclock said:
I'm amused by the fact that either the base CO or XO approved this at some point.
I'd like to think that he or she didn't know what it was, and was told they were getting an Equestiarn themed logo because fighter squadrons are sorta like cavalry squadrons.

stormeris said:
I really don't see how anyone, but 10 year old girls and their mothers can like this show.
It's not funny, it's not clever, it's just dumb. It's nothing but a overglorified toy commercial.
TBH, I agree, but then I'd say that about most stuff on TV. I don't have a problem with people watching shows I don't like. Unless it's reality TV. Or shows where they glamourise real violent criminals.

Actually, there's a lot of things I think people shouldn't be watching, but MLP would be buried pretty fair down that list if I bothered adding it at all.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Dalisclock said:
I'm amused by the fact that either the base CO or XO approved this at some point.
I'd like to think that he or she didn't know what it was, and was told they were getting an Equestiarn themed logo because fighter squadrons are sorta like cavalry squadrons.

stormeris said:
TBH, I agree, but then I'd say that about most stuff on TV. I don't have a problem with people watching shows I don't like. Unless it's reality TV. Or shows where they glamourise real violent criminals.

Actually, there's a lot of things I think people shouldn't be watching, but MLP would be buried pretty fair down that list if I bothered adding it at all.
Agreed.
The first thing on my list of shows that should be nuked from orbit is probably that "Honey boo boo" thing... And every single Pregnant Teen show on MTV... Does anyone remember the good 'ol days, when MTV actually played music?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Maybe it would be best if the mods just locked this thread? Unless it's an experiment to see how much mod wrath one thread can accumulate.
gmaverick019 said:
I will agree in that people love using the "straw man!/poes law!/logical fallacy!/ad hominem!/ /thread" reply to things, it can get a little old to see it as frequently as it is used to make the person feel like they won the "argument", even if they are right/factually true.
I'll echo what NameIsRobertPaulson said, and say that strawman arguments need to called out.

It's incredibly annoying and frustrating trying to discuss something with someone, and they keep twisting your words into things you're not actually saying.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
it doesn't resort to annoying humor
That's subjective. Personally my desire to kill another living thing increases rapidly if I'm am exposed to pinky pie for more than a few nanoseconds. On the plus side, the creepy fandom obligingly produces a great number of pictures where she dies in horrible ways.

OT: What is this I don't even. Also gotta love the bronies doing that lovely "I dismiss your opinion because you must be too insecure in your masculinity to like girly things" thing. No I don't hate your show because I'm "insecure in my masculinity", I hate it because it doesn't give me a reason to watch it. its not funny, there is no drama, no tension, no character development, just an annoying one note cast and "plots" that I can predict in detail from the start. And lets not get into the animation errors so glaring and constant that my 13 year old sister can point them out several times per episode. Although I will say the contrast of the motto of "love and tolerate" and the MO of hostility makes the fandom amusing to me.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
That's pretty epic. I'm glad that they can appreciate the message even if they don't appreciate the show. I wish more people were like that.

This news genuinely put a smile on my face. Fans, able to take a joke/see the humor, or willing to tolerate it, the Squad's pretty awesome. I'm actually pretty proud.

Also, good on Hasbro for approving it! Can't say why they did, but I'm glad they did.

The level of hatred towards the show, and the people that watch it is expected, and still doesn't cease to dissapoint.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:

It's whimsical, it doesn't resort to annoying humor (Annoying Orange) or ridiculous gags (Spongebob post 2009). It has good music, and the characters are fun. Sorry you don't like it, but that's no reason to insult people.
I guess our definition for "good music" and "fun characters" differ.
However, i do not see the point in arguing. And I wasn't insulting people, i was genuinely interested how anyone can like it, because i've tried watching it and i simply hated it. The characters felt so bland,one dimensional and unmemorable, and most of its humour was just pop culture references. I hate pop culture references.
But, in my opinion, people hate this fandom, not because the show is abhorrent, but because the fans are. The way they go everywhere announcing themselves as bronies and pegasisters (i think that's how girls call themselves, right?), i mean people who like transformers don't actually go around posting them on every forum. They keep to themselves, the thing that is alien to this fandom. If they kept to themselves and watched the show without shoving their fandom down everyone's throats, noone would even care enough to hate them...

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Worgen said:
bibblles said:

I don't care about any argument made in favor of this bullshit. The ponies are an infectious plague, and will be dealt with as such.
Inquisitor Applejack frowns upon on your shenanigans.

No matter how much 40k stuff you post, I can counter it with cooler pony 40k stuff, its fun.
This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about, you infect something and force ponies on everything you find. It's why I don't go to conventions for fear of losing control and winding up in prison.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
the clockmaker said:
Annnnnnd this is why the rest of the military makes fun of the air force.
I thought the Puddle Pirate Yatch Club (Coast Guard) was the one that was made the most fun of?

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
the clockmaker said:
Annnnnnd this is why the rest of the military makes fun of the air force.
I thought the Puddle Pirate Yatch Club (Coast Guard) was the one that was made the most fun of?
Hmmm... you may have a point there mate, honestly, I'm Australian and we don't have a coast guard as such, I mean there is the Border protection guys, but they don't even pretend to be military. Alls I know is that when all three services of the ADF get together, the soldier and the sailors make fun of the Raafies.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
stormeris said:
If they kept to themselves and watched the show without shoving their fandom down everyone's throats, noone would even care enough to hate them...
Ahh, the old "shove it down throats" argument. I love that one!

Tell me, who was it that forced you to click on this thread? Was it a brony?
Because the simple solution is to just not click on threads about things you don't like. No "throat shoving" involved.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
I don't care much for ponies or bronies or whatever, I'm just wondering everything mlp related is still such a big deal. It's been like 3 years? you'd think the respective parties in the "debate" would have settled down by now. I mean every time mlp stuff get's posted both sides brings out the usual and old arguments; "it's a show for girls" "you're just to insecure to like it" "it's gay" "you just don't get it" and so on and so on. Are we not bored of this yet?

GryffinDarkBreed said:
Pff. Just means 'your' country's airmen are too insecure in their masculinity to admit to watching ponies. Which they do. I can guarantee it.
I thought we already had this argument a page ago, why did you feel the need to kick the hornet's nest again?

OT: That's cool, whatever floats their boats I guess. They're being "ironic" so it's all fine for both sides then. As long as they do their job and fly like everyone else I don't see why this is such a big deal.