US Army Tests Super Strong Exoskeleton

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
R&D, regardless if its for military, commercial, or academical endeavors often times end up resulting in advancements in other fields and being applied in civilian and military usages. Until humanity can "evolve" to a state beyond the need for violence (and i don't see that happening.) there is going to be research into how to better kill the enemy and protect/support your own troops. Honestly i rather see research into stuff like this because its not about directly killing but instead helping humans (soldiers in this case) carry heavy loads without slow downs and self injury. Once the technology is refined though military R&D and there is a commercial demand for power assisted harness then we could see this stuff in the civilian market for industrial, medical, or even recreational usages.

On the subject of power armor i think this type of technology is viable because the #1 reason people don't wear super heavy armor is because it weighs you down and limits mobility. Imagine heavy class IV or bomb suit thickness armor mounted on an exoskeleton frame covering the bulk of your body except thinner areas around the joints for mobility. Having protection from small arms fire and grenade fragmentation is quite valuable IMO to a soldier and with increased carrying ability with frames like these. Having this level of heavy armor could be possible and still keep a soldier combat effective. Trying to have armor that can take hits from heavier weapons like anti-material rounds, cannon rounds, etc isn't something your going to see from technology like this.
This tech is some very cool stuff and has far reaching possibilities for both military and civilian applications.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
hmmmm...

I wish people would consider the benefits of this technology for medical purposes rather than military...

I mean, how much help would this exoskeleton be if, say, it was used to support a person who could not have otherwise walked?

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
You know they've been testing this for long before this. The military doesn't just release ultra high tech military technology if they haven't finished the initial stages yet.

swolf

May 3, 2010
WanderFreak said:
I lost my train of thought. My point being, can they shoot lasers?
Why add lasers when bullets are effective? I mean, yeah, that would be cool but many bullets now have various effects that tear up soft and hard tissue. Some are designed to break upon impact sending fragments, some which "spin" upon impact which cause it to tear a hole through practically everything in it's path and out the exit wound, and some ricochet around inside the body (by that, I mean that it may enter in the shoulder, ricochet off the shoulder blade or some other bone, tear through everything in it's path, bust open the femoral artery, and fly out a leg.) By the way, that last one is a nightmare scenario for medical personnel as I'm sure you can imagine.

olicon

May 8, 2008
I wish they would apply this to people with disabilities. It would help improve a lot of lives.

Also, it would make working with heavy objects a lot easier.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Military acronyms have funny resemblances to comic books because comic book geeks designed them. As for the power armor from what I read they haven't solved the power supply issue so if they ever get implemented than it will probably be first seen aboard cargo carriers and docks to aid in loading and unloading ordinance.

Now repeat after me
[HEADING=2]You get away from her YOU *****![/HEADING]

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
olicon said:
I wish they would apply this to people with disabilities. It would help improve a lot of lives.

There is a Japanese company called Cyberdyne (yes it is named after the one that made Skynet in the movies!) that are making exoskeletons for nurses to aid them in lifting patients. Eventually they plan to aid the disabled once they figure out how to control it properly.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Interesting company name. I have seen the exoskeleton that you are talking about. But I haven't heard much about its applications. I wonder how many hospitals actually use those.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Frog_Girl said:
Khaiseri said:
Am I the only one who is against all of these things made by the military? Yes, I can see it's uses for other things rather than the military, but that's the thing, it's prime use will be for that: soldiers.
Why do you have an issue with the military producing thing for the men and women fighting in a war. Reguardless on how you feel about the war, don't you think these people should be equiped with the best technology they can get to do their job? I'm not trying to belittle you I'm just trying to understand why this is an issue.
Soldiers fighting a war deserve the very best but to give them the very best money is taking away from the budgets for intelligence and law enforcement agencies that could prevent an attack, funding for disease research or fixing that god damn pothole on the road that gets bigger year after year.

At least in the US the military budget is becoming the black hole Medicare, Social Security and educational funding is disappearing into. That's why Democrats are trying so hard to kill certain military projects that have dragged on for years like the F-22 Raptor or the stealth boat. Heck the XM-29 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM29_OICW] ran for years before Iraq proved all that tech would kill more soldiers than it would save.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
First thing I think of when I see this is a soldier carrying weapons normally only available mounted on vehicles or static emplacements. Maybe even something that kicks out a stand in the rear so you can sprint with and fire something crazy like an M-134 with a large ammo case on your back and not break a sweat.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
olicon said:

Actually they just gave a human some experimental bionic legs (within a week or two ago). I think Escapist even ran an article on it.