US lawmakers introduce bill to ban TikTok

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Okay I will be real I am trolling people on TikTok about this, but make no mistake this is very authoritarian, and will give Republicans an iron grip on social media, and news in general. MSNBC and CNN can have a temper tantrum all they want if Trump gets elected, then quiet down when a mainstream Democrat wins. Still, their donors will skew to the right more and more alongside their nepo-baby children given that no billionaire under 30 is self-made due to tech companies buying out their competition.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Okay I will be real I am trolling people on TikTok about this, but make no mistake this is very authoritarian, and will give Republicans an iron grip on social media, and news in general. MSNBC and CNN can have a temper tantrum all they want if Trump gets elected, then quiet down when a mainstream Democrat wins. Still, their donors will skew to the right more and more alongside their nepo-baby children given that no billionaire under 30 is self-made due to tech companies buying out their competition.
It's never been about authoritarianism or China stealing secrets

Other social media companies like Facebook and X don't want the competition and have been bank rolling by people like Zuck

Things like constitutions dont matter when dollar dollar bills are on the line

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So what was the financial reason India banned TikTok? Along with all the other countries that add up to over 3 billion people?

The fact that you guys can't see the massive issue with TikTok is beyond me.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
So what was the financial reason India banned TikTok? Along with all the other countries that add up to over 3 billion people?

The fact that you guys can't see the massive issue with TikTok is beyond me.
Generally, I would rather beat China, Russia, and Iran at the free speech game vs put up walls to free speech like what China's doing. Because that builds up resentment in your population and makes you less economically dynamic which kills innovation in other areas like AI.

It's not fun to be in China right now, the government doesn't care about your economic prosperity(yes just like the US somewhat with the low wages, and delayed interest rate cuts), and you have no way to express any creativity and yes you can vent about the government in non-group based and non-electronic means the leadership doesn't know what's wrong with the economy and social life. They are primed for a rebellion. No wonder anyone who can leave is leaving for Anglo/English-speaking countries.

China is increasing military spending at the cost of innovation and the economy which will only leave them behind in the future and later they won't have either.

We should not copy them. I get it the US spent too much on nation-building which should have gone into future goods(like investments in R&D and infrastructure), and peer-to-peer military spending(I still won't forget the 44th president(Obama), axing the F-22 and a whole host of innovative weapons programs), and the remainder could have went to paying off debt, current spendings like Social security, Medicaid, and medicare alongside education.

But to mirror China in banning TikTok, and likely Chinese & Russian internet products, software, etc will be counterproductive. Why can't we pay people in our own country in college to build AI tools to spam them back? Why can't we build a regulatory environment where un-productive and large current companies(Meta for example) can't just buy off an innovative startup, by the way, Facebook killed off Vine which would have been a better version of Tik Tok.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I don't care much for Tiktok. Even aside from the shady aspects I think the premise of super short video's in general is just dumb.

But given the alternative to Biden proudly boasts about betraying Europe to the Kremlin I do somewhat worry about this affecting the youth vote for Biden.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Given the fact that I like Joe Biden, and won't vote against him, that doesn't mean I like the democratic party as a whole.

The snake Elizabeth Warren, Bory Cooker, and Markey are cowards.

Also, guess whose not going to vote for Sherrod Brown in the senate in 2024? Have fun losing the senate Dems.

Edit: I have a theory that China could use the fact that Americans aren't on the platform to create a platform where countries other than India, the US, and maybe Europe could enjoy a social media platform where anti-American sentiment could flourish.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Generally, I would rather beat China, Russia, and Iran at the free speech game vs put up walls to free speech like what China's doing. Because that builds up resentment in your population and makes you less economically dynamic which kills innovation in other areas like AI.

It's not fun to be in China right now, the government doesn't care about your economic prosperity(yes just like the US somewhat with the low wages, and delayed interest rate cuts), and you have no way to express any creativity and yes you can vent about the government in non-group based and non-electronic means the leadership doesn't know what's wrong with the economy and social life. They are primed for a rebellion. No wonder anyone who can leave is leaving for Anglo/English-speaking countries.

China is increasing military spending at the cost of innovation and the economy which will only leave them behind in the future and later they won't have either.

We should not copy them. I get it the US spent too much on nation-building which should have gone into future goods(like investments in R&D and infrastructure), and peer-to-peer military spending(I still won't forget the 44th president(Obama), axing the F-22 and a whole host of innovative weapons programs), and the remainder could have went to paying off debt, current spendings like Social security, Medicaid, and medicare alongside education.

But to mirror China in banning TikTok, and likely Chinese & Russian internet products, software, etc will be counterproductive. Why can't we pay people in our own country in college to build AI tools to spam them back? Why can't we build a regulatory environment where un-productive and large current companies(Meta for example) can't just buy off an innovative startup, by the way, Facebook killed off Vine which would have been a better version of Tik Tok.
Here's your mistake:

America is not a Free Speech country, despite the claims

And

The people who scream Free Speech use their Free Speech to stop others from having any Free Speech

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Here's your mistake:

America is not a Free Speech country, despite the claims

And

The people who scream Free Speech use their Free Speech to stop others from having any Free Speech
The consequences for anti-government/anti-social/anti-mainstream free speech are lower in the US. I can say fuck Joe Biden or Donald Trump on X/Twitter, Facebook, etc with my name and I may not get hired at many companies, but I won't die or get arrested. Try doing that in China.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The consequences for anti-government/anti-social/anti-mainstream free speech are lower in the US. I can say fuck Joe Biden or Donald Trump on X/Twitter, Facebook, etc with my name and I may not get hired at many companies, but I won't die or get arrested. Try doing that in China.
I would check out college campus at the moment. A lot of people are getting arrested. Same with BLM protests, including being picked up in unmarked cars

No. You are unlikely to die. Arrested? By the thousands

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I would check out college campus at the moment. A lot of people are getting arrested. Same with BLM protests, including being picked up in unmarked cars

No. You are unlikely to die. Arrested? By the thousands
So you are just allowed to violate school policy and make encampments and nothing is supposed to happen to you?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So you are just allowed to violate school policy and make encampments and nothing is supposed to happen to you?

It's Vietnam all over again. Also Occupy

I can't wait for the National Guard to show up

So much for 'Free Speech'

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It's Vietnam all over again. Also Occupy

I can't wait for the National Guard to show up

So much for 'Free Speech'
When was anyone on a college campus stopped from saying what they want to say? Oh yeah, when students protest against a speaker they don't like and the school cancels their speech. I don't see you complaining about that.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
When was anyone on a college campus stopped from saying what they want to say? Oh yeah, when students protest against a speaker they don't like and the school cancels their speech. I don't see you complaining about that.
There has been 900 arrests in the last few weeks

A valedictorian has been stripped of that status and ability to speak at the end of the year

Faculty members have been fired.

Communists and Marxist are generally persona non grata at most university

You've been watching Fox News who pretends that it only happens to "one side.'

It does not

Edit: I'll note that Centrist do not in any shape or form care about Free Speech They call everyone else extreme so they can stay in control.. Leftes care about Free Speech until it turns into the Hate Speech. That line between the two Speeches is ill defined. Righties pretend they want Free Speech due to identity politics but never follow the principals of Free Speech

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
There has been 900 arrests in the last few weeks

A valedictorian has been stripped of that status and ability to speak at the end of the year

Faculty members have been fired.

Communists and Marxist are generally persona non grata at most university

You've been watching Fox News who pretends that it only happens to "one side.'

It does not

Edit: I'll note that Centrist do not in any shape or form care about Free Speech They call everyone else extreme so they can stay in control.. Leftes care about Free Speech until it turns into the Hate Speech. That line between the two Speeches is ill defined. Righties pretend they want Free Speech due to identity politics but never follow the principals of Free Speech
What were the arrests for? I'm betting none of them were for speaking.

I saw a story on the valedictorian. You guys don't seem to ever complain when someone that doesn't agree with you gets barred from speaking officially.

Any proof of that?

I don't watch any network news or live TV of any kind. I mainly check-in on Rising or Breaking Points.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What were the arrests for? I'm betting none of them were for speaking.
Holding hands

I saw a story on the valedictorian. You guys don't seem to ever complain when someone that doesn't agree with you gets barred from speaking officially.
I didnt on the valedictorian either... I was pointing out that it happens to both side

Any proof of that?
Do you have any proof that they are allowed to speak? Do you know how many Marxist speakers are there?

I don't watch any network news or live TV of any kind. I mainly check-in on Rising or Breaking Points.
Well, Krystal and Sangaar do go out of their way to get things wrong