US Military Confident it Could Stop a Real-Life Godzilla Attack

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I guess the Sgt. wants to say: "Yes, in the movies he's depictet as a complete immovable object, but in real life even a 100m big lizard would die to weapons that apply X-amount of kinetic force"
Or you could probably toast him with an insane appliance of heat. It lives, so it burns.

If you go with the premise that he's undefeatable anyway then he becomes monster-superman and is as tough as he needs to be, but that's boring as hell.
I'd rather have the "Waht if... 100m giant lizard attacks!" with real life approximations on his power, durability etc. At least that's way cooler to me.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
Zeren said:
They can't stop a bunch of farmers with 80 year old AKs an no training, I doubt they could stop that.
To be fair though, you can't shoot any 80-year-old you see just in case he has a gun.
If you're the US Mil itary or Law Enfo rcement you can. If they couldn't then there wouldn't be all those incidents where entire groups of children gathering firewood were shot up because our soldiers with their amazing surv eillance technology, super mega-ultra-zoom binoculars and "can spot a fly on a monkey's butt at 500 miles away" dro nes all mistook those kids as 80 year old men with guns.

Or in the case of our own law enfo rcement we have kids with wii-motes in their hands being shot cause "I thought it was a gun", people being shot in their own homes cause the cops went to the wrong address, homeless people being shot cause the cops got tired of talking to them, innocent ladies being shot up in their newspaper delivery trucks because their truck looked kinda similar to a fugitive's truck the cops were looking for, etc. etc.

Edit: And to comment on the topic at hand the US Mili tary would not WANT to stop Godzilla. They would either try to find a way to use him as our own weapon or most likely keep him alive and rampaging so they can keep us afraid all the time to fear-monger us into increasing their budgets.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I really don't share the same confident as that guy. Ok sure I can easily see the bombardment would harm it but chances are the giant monster would had a hard hide to withstand it.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
As previously stated, in real life, he wouldn't exist because his body would collapse under it's own weight. So the military wouldn't have to fight anything.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Kuala BangoDango said:
Compatriot Block said:
Zeren said:
They can't stop a bunch of farmers with 80 year old AKs an no training, I doubt they could stop that.
To be fair though, you can't shoot any 80-year-old you see just in case he has a gun.
If you're the US Mil itary or Law Enfo rcement you can. If they couldn't then there wouldn't be all those incidents where entire groups of children gathering firewood were shot up because our soldiers with their amazing surv eillance technology, super mega-ultra-zoom binoculars and "can spot a fly on a monkey's butt at 500 miles away" dro nes all mistook those kids as 80 year old men with guns.

Or in the case of our own law enfo rcement we have kids with wii-motes in their hands being shot cause "I thought it was a gun", people being shot in their own homes cause the cops went to the wrong address, homeless people being shot cause the cops got tired of talking to them, innocent ladies being shot up in their newspaper delivery trucks because their truck looked kinda similar to a fugitive's truck the cops were looking for, etc. etc.
I can't say much for the way some police situations are handled as I have never been a cop, but if you think U.S. soldiers can just shoot whoever they want with 0 repercussions, I can assure you you are wrong. I'm not saying there aren't soldiers who do awful things and don't get away with them, but to pretend like soldiers just shoot up kids for the lulz with impunity is detached from reality. You talk as if every grunt on the ground has some sort of perfect intelligence on everything that's going on around him, and that's an absurd notion. I've seen this play out a thousand times with someone woefully malinformed using rare incidents to paint every operation like it's a shot em up and let god sort em out kind of thing. It's ridiculous, it lacks any understanding of how we actually operate and it's completely facile. In short, you're using a few facts about bad incidents to back up an absurd level of bias and over-simplification. I used to do this shit for a living, and tend to take it very personally.

EDIT: As for your edit, it's equally nonsense.

1deano1

Oct 6, 2008
What about shoving something down it's throat? Possibly some sort of explosives that would mangle it's innards if at all possible?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Right.

If there is one constant in geek culture it's that Godzilla pretty much trumps everything. Jason Voorhees would wet his pants if Big G showed up.

I'm not an unpatriotic American by any stretch of the imagination. But c'mon duder, Godzilla would melt us all.

And just for funsies, here's Blue Oyster Cult's "Go Go Godzilla". Enjoy!

Yes, I think they miss the point entirely, in Godzilla the military is always confident, and half the problem is that he's basically invulnerable (similsr to say a giant version of Superman) it takes very intense things to hurt him, and bombs, missiles, etc... they just pretty much hit him, explode, and have no real effect. Granted this not realistic given that he's corporeal (ie anything physical could be decimated by the kind of force put out) but then again Godzilla has never been a realistic concept.

As far as the Jason Voorhees comparison, just to nerd out, I'd say he'd have little to worry about from Godzilla, but given that he's a local terror for the most part Godzilla would probably just stomp over his territory and neither would seriously confront each other.

The reason I say Jason wouldn't have to worry about him is that Jason isn't really a "thing" he's the physical manifestation of a curse. As long as the curse/spirit remains he's pretty much going to come back from anything, one way or another, and being what he is (supernatural, common sense doesn't really apply) it for the most part doesn't matter what you hit him with... unless of course your defining him differently for the purposes of a given movie like "Freddie Vs. Jason" which they set up to have two contradictory characters fight each other without making the outcome predictable. Using one of the more high powered versions of Jason, we could see a serious "WTF Nerdgasm" if the two ever met, Godzilla stepped on Jason or something, and then Jason possessed Godzilla and then created "Jasezilla" a new, supernatural (as opposed to hypernatural) version of Godzilla combining both of their motives, and extending Jason's desire to kill and punish sin to the entire world... increasing Godzilla's durability by the factor of Jason's you could say have him fight an entire army of other super-monsters, perhaps even hunting them down and seriel-murdering them pre-emptively to remove the threat before purging the world of humanity.... Of course they might have to say have Gamera and King Ghidrah find magic of their own to eventually put him down.... You know, now that I think about this, someone has to make this movie... it's academy award material for sure! You need some busty teenage girls, a bunch of rubber monster suits, a hockey mask and machete, and a supertanker full of fake blood.... well and a camera of course. :)

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Therumancer said:
Jason possessing Big G and going on a Monster Island murder spree? I'm there.

Of course I've said for a while now, both on these forums, other forums, and in real life, that no matter what they do with Jason I'll show up and buy a ticket. If they gave him an enchanted machete with time travel powers and sent him to ancient Egypt to fight mummies, I'll still show up.

The only problem I see is this: Jason typically "awakens" to punish sinning teenagers. So unless King Ghidorah is going to grow a huge golden rack, take off his scales and get busy with Jet Jaguar... I'm not sure what Jaszilla's motivation might be. Unless Monster Island was actually a rift in the tectonic plates that shifted Crystal Lake to whatever pacific island cluster in which Monster Island was supposed to be located.

But clearly I'm over thinking something that doesn't deserve such mental gymnastics to try and accommodate. Jason needs no motivation to go on a rampage, nor does Godzilla. They are both, essentially, forces of nature. Cautionary tales against fun party times for teens and the threat of the nuclear age respectively.

Still, it's fun to gab about. :)

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
I do believe the military could stop Godzilla. A lot of these movies depict the armed forces just tossing men and machine alike against their foe without much coordination. I think once the military began a serious engagement against a kaiju like the King of the Monsters they'd soon find a weakness through coordinated effort and eventually bring him down without the need of an overwhelming nuclear strike. But honestly, that's no fun. The "point" of Godzilla IMO is to hold mankind accountable for its hubris and irresponsibility with great power. I think it's a really good modern fable.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
This logic was, in part, why the 98 Godzilla was so bad.

Godzilla cannot be beaten by conventional weapon. When he woke up from his sleep in a Volcano in Biollante the magma didn't kill him. He can literally bathe in lava as if it were a Japanese Hot Spring. There isn't any conventional bomb that would work.

Now an H-Bomb might, but that's a big might.

This is why to beat Godzilla, even though temporary, you need a macguffin. Some non-existent weapon like the Oxygen Destroyer, or something like that. A-Bombs wont work because he eats those for breakfast.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
What I really want to know is whether the US military feels they could stop a real-life Independence Day alien attack. Especially given the issues surrounding the F-35 program, and whether Apple's new generation of laptops would be able to successfully network with an alien vessel.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Zontar said:
AJey said:
Zontar said:
AJey said:
Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.
I think the estimated 60 000 Taliban and Al-Qaeda killed in Afghanistan compared to NATO's 3424 speaks volumes of out ability to defeat sheepherders in caves.
And yet you still haven't defeated them...
Well it's an insurgency, Russia hasn't fully put down their own at home that started over 20 years ago. You don't defeat insurgencies militarily, you just use the military to thin out their numbers while the real work of destroying them once and for all is done by forming a stabile government and military/police force (which, given how the afghan security force and police have been doing most of the fighting in recent years and with good success, coupled with a falling recruitment level for both insurgencies, it's working). Really the only way to say the war isn't working/didn't work is to misinterpret the numbers and go with it.
And yet neither government nor military is in any way stable, which, by your own definition, means that the whole operation has been a failure. Look, I can appreciate silver linings, I really can. But for crying out loud, you dont go saying "You don't defeat insurgencies militarily", and then turn around and claim "afghan security force and police have been doing most of the fighting in recent years". You seem like a knowledgeable man, which means you know exactly what kind of fight it is. And that kind of fight is not won by good intentions and spread of democracy.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Riiiiight. If Godzilla showed up in New York, I'd be happy I live in the Midwest, because at least Godzilla would be bored from swatting away the military and would probably wander back into the ocean before reaching us.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Hello, Escapists, long time reader, first time writer, but I believe this gentleman's knowledge of the subject matter is sufficient to resolve the discussion and as such, I've registered to point out the following:

Efrit_ said:
-a black hole being creating above him, which he also destroyed with his atomic breath
This settles it, really. Black holes are pretty much the universe's way of taking stuff behind the shed and giving it the Ol' Yeller treatment - once it's past the distance called the "event horizon", nothing, energy or matter, light included, can escape the black hole's gravitational pull (as the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light) - it just gets added to the mass of the singularity, squashed by forces beyond imagination inside a zone, that even light cannot escape, meaning no-one will even see the final moments of the object in question. The "blackness", being a side effect of light getting caught in the hole's gravitational field is relevant here - Godzilla's unusual properties, such as size, which are impossible in our universe could potentially be explained by diffrent in-universe physics. Godzilla's ability to destroy a black hole (by means other than facilitating black hole evaporation, apparently), however, means he is either capable of breaking the basic laws of physics at will or in-universe physics allow for speeds greater than the speed of light and the big G is capable of accelerating matter belonging to a relatively small, hypermassive singularity to speeds greater than the speed of light by projecting a directional beam focused tightly enough not to ravage the entire Sol system, not to mention vaporizing Earth. Frankly, I'm not sure which is more impressive, but as things stand, it would appear Godzilla is more "God" than "zilla" (possibly the second coming of Christ, depending on your religious beliefs, considering his physical manifestation?). I imagine this divine nature of Godzilla got overlooked in the analysis, as it is not readily apparent to a layman and thus, I would like to offer a corrected answer:

U.S. military is capable of neutralizing a threat posed by a giant (up to about 107m tall) radioactive mutant lizard with beam weapons, so long as that lizard does not display divine or magical powers.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
AJey said:
Zontar said:
AJey said:
Zontar said:
AJey said:
Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.
I think the estimated 60 000 Taliban and Al-Qaeda killed in Afghanistan compared to NATO's 3424 speaks volumes of out ability to defeat sheepherders in caves.
And yet you still haven't defeated them...
Well it's an insurgency, Russia hasn't fully put down their own at home that started over 20 years ago. You don't defeat insurgencies militarily, you just use the military to thin out their numbers while the real work of destroying them once and for all is done by forming a stabile government and military/police force (which, given how the afghan security force and police have been doing most of the fighting in recent years and with good success, coupled with a falling recruitment level for both insurgencies, it's working). Really the only way to say the war isn't working/didn't work is to misinterpret the numbers and go with it.
And yet neither government nor military is in any way stable, which, by your own definition, means that the whole operation has been a failure. Look, I can appreciate silver linings, I really can. But for crying out loud, you dont go saying "You don't defeat insurgencies militarily", and then turn around and claim "afghan security force and police have been doing most of the fighting in recent years". You seem like a knowledgeable man, which means you know exactly what kind of fight it is. And that kind of fight is not won by good intentions and spread of democracy.
I was speaking in terms relative to what came about before it. Comparing Afghanistan from the pre-Soviet invasion until now, things have generally improved as a whole. The real means of winning would be to whittle the ability of insurgents to get new members by a combination of destroying their ability to train them (physically destroying their hideouts) coupled with the destruction of the circumstances which allow them to gain new members (democracy doesn't do this inherently, but stability and improvement of quality of life tend to work). The war will probably continue long after we leave, though the major engagements are probably a thing of the past, and it's unlikely that the insurgency will be much more of a threat to the country then it is now. In my unprofessional opinion, I expect the civilian casualties to decrease in a half life curve until it gets to the point of being negligible.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
and here i was expecting he is going to share some actual thoughts on tactics other than "Were going to overwhelm him". you donty need a military sergant to say that. heck, the comments here provided more insight than the article, as often ends up the case lately sadly.

My suggestion is bunker busters. they can piece tons of concrete, so they cna pierce godzila skin, and thne they can blow its insides to smithereens.

Sir Shockwave said:
...Except for the fact that Godzilla has...y'know...the extremely minor and overlooked detail of surviving the point blank detonation of NUCLEAR WEAPONS, the most powerful and destructive ordnance known to man. It wouldn't help if the US had any Tzar Bomba's in their possession.
Except that, you know, nuclear weapon isnt the most pwoerful ordinance we have. for one as pointed above bunker busters do far better at piercing skin than nuclear blasts. for two, hydrogen bombs are far more powerful than regular nuclear weapons. regualr sized hydrogen bomb will do more damage than Tzar Bomba.

Zeren said:
they can stop them. they arent trying to exterminate them.

Happiness Assassin said:
Please, there is no way we could realistically take on something like Godzilla. Now, zombies. That is a much more realistic opponent. After all the US Military has actually put to together a report in order to deal with an actual zombie apocalypse.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/223872345/CONPLAN-8888

This is real. Your tax dollars at work.
thats because zombie threat is actually a possibility. not so much in the traditional "raise from the dead" sense but more of a "virus that raises adrenaline and adresiveness to make them wnat to kill everything" sense. its also dealing with masses of people, so riot destruction can also apply here.

Efrit_ said:
-a black hole being creating above him, which he also destroyed with his atomic breath
well, obviuosly, anyone that can close black homes with atomic lasers obviuosly does not follow our physics. for all we know he could be immortal god at this point.

medv4380 said:
Godzilla cannot be beaten by conventional weapon. When he woke up from his sleep in a Volcano in Biollante the magma didn't kill him. He can literally bathe in lava as if it were a Japanese Hot Spring. There isn't any conventional bomb that would work.
ypou overestimate lava. lava is not all that hot actually. our explosions from conventional bombs are far hotter.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm not really that confident that I could take down something that is capable of staying submerged in magma for a few days, without surfacing, and battling another monster without any real damage taken.

medv4380 said:
This logic was, in part, why the 98 Godzilla was so bad.

Now an H-Bomb might, but that's a big might.

This is why to beat Godzilla, even though temporary, you need a macguffin. Some non-existent weapon like the Oxygen Destroyer, or something like that. A-Bombs wont work because he eats those for breakfast.
Good example, but I was thinking more about the vs Mothra movie, in which Godzilla fights worm Battra for a few days in a lava tube, then bursts out of effing Mount Fuji like a boss.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Here's a question, now knowing what Godzilla has thought and survived, do we actually have any stats on his enemies impact forces and heat attacks?

Because if I'm honest there is only one way I can think of to take out Godzilla and it would involve a Sentai Team of:

Bruce Campbell,
Nathan Fillion,
Jeremy Irons,
Willem DaFoe,
Tom Hardy (but only when wearing a sweater),
Sigourney Weaver.

Only those powers combined would have enough to scare off Godzilla through sheer terror, snark and ballsy-ness... followed up by a high velocity impact from Bruce Campbells chin.

FUCK I WANNA SEE THAT MOVIE!

As an aside, does the US military also have a plan for Third Impact?