US Snatches Pokemon World Championship from Japan

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
US Snatches Pokemon World Championship from Japan

The world's best Pokemon masters converged on Hawaii, but in the end there could be only one.

I'm going to be honest here: I think competitive Pokemon battling is really cool. There's an incredibly deep and strategic game beneath the surface, a game where it ceases to be "my Charizard uses Fire Blast on your Bayleef" and becomes "I use SubSeed!Jumpluff with Sunny Day in the Uber tier to take advantage of its low base HP to sustain itself indefinitely." It's essentially that one scene in The Princess Bride [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUee1WvtQZU], with adorable little monsters instead of poison.

Hundreds of would-be Pokemon trainers converged on Hawaii for the finale in this year's World Championship series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100007-Pokemon-World-Championship-Qualifiers-Begin-in-May] for battles in both the Trading Card Game and the handheld titles.

One can imagine that the competition was fierce at all levels of play, but the main event is the Senior Division of the videogame tournament (that is, competitors who were born before 1997. Wow, does that make me feel old). In a "shocking" upset, the New-Jersey-born Ray Rizzo triumphed over Japan's Yasuki Tochigi to take the title. Presumably he gets a cool trophy belt with Pikachu on the front or something.

All of the other champions were from Japan with the exception of the winner of the TCG Senior Division, Jacob Lesage of Canada.

Congratulations, Ray. I consider myself to be a pretty darn decent Pokemon battler, but I tip my hat to you.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
The woman talking over it sounds bored out of her skull, she sounds like shes about to fall asleep.

There are so many chances to make Yugioh abridged references so ill make one.

"I challenge you to a childrens card game!"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its amazing what some people can make a sport out of, but, if they can do well at it, and, come out on top...dosnt matter what it is, deserves applause!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
The DSM said:
The woman talking over it sounds bored out of her skull, she sounds like shes about to fall asleep.

Wait, why can they just beat the shit out of other people? I mean, they have invisible guns, right? Should be a lot simpler.

Jaredin said:
Its amazing what some people can make a sport out of, but, if they can do well at it, and, come out on top...dosnt matter what it is, deserves applause!
Except I would probably rather die than have thousands of strangers look at me wearing a Pokemon hat, with a dancing over-sized Pikachu next to me and a bunch of kids.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
THE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

And a terrible sequel...

And another sequel...

And a cartoon...

And a bad television series...

And a direct to TV film...

And an anime...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Edit: The pokemon thing... right... umm... congradulations I guess?

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
I got involved in the metagame a while ago... it's scary how deep it gets. Normal games need 6 sweepers (pokes that hit hard and have a high HP/Defence combo), varying types is about as detailed as you need to get tactics wise. In the meta, 6 sweepers is one of the quickest ways to get wiped out

Apr 28, 2008
Abedeus said:
The DSM said:

Wait, why can they just beat the shit out of other people? I mean, they have invisible guns, right? Should be a lot simpler.
Screw simplicity they have money!

OT: Huh, forgot about all the competitive play. Sounds interesting, but I would get destroyed.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The difference is that in Japan, when you're geeky, its socially acceptable as long as you persue your interests with a noble passion. In America, you have to fight tooth-and-nail, because the more you get into something, the more it makes you a social minority. And America doesn't like minorities.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The DSM said:

LMAO there was barely any teens playing it just a bunch of kids with too much time on their hands.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The DSM said:

Once those computer voice speaking things get better I figure they'll sound exactly like her.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Well, that kinda cool really.

Does thinking that make me a nerd?

Probably.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
So do they different division for the different generations or something? Or is there a set one that must be used?

I'd love to take part, but I'm not a nerd enough to travel to Japan or wherever to find I'm a whole load worse than I thought. But if I won... the first ever Irish Pokemon world champion? Christ, that's just wrong.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
I think the guy in that Princes Bride clip starved to death after eating all the scenery in the world.

OT: Congratulations, Ray, you are now king of card games nerds. Come up and claim your prize of being famous on the internet.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TheRightToArmBears said:
So do they different division for the different generations or something? Or is there a set one that must be used?

I'd love to take part, but I'm not a nerd enough to travel to Japan or wherever to find I'm a whole load worse than I thought. But if I won... the first ever Irish Pokemon world champion? Christ, that's just wrong.
Probably for the card games. For the handheld, it's the latest generation. Right now that means Gen4 (HG/SS/D/P/Pt), it'll probably mean Gen5 next year with B/W.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
John Funk said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

Probably for the card games. For the handheld, it's the latest generation. Right now that means Gen4 (HG/SS/D/P/Pt), it'll probably mean Gen5 next year with B/W.

Well damn. The most up-to-date games I have are Gold and Silver.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
...People do competitive world Pokemon games...?

...This is a whole new level of sad...

I hope for their sake the game has evolved something since red and blue (which honestly doesn't seem like). Back then it was all about having a level 100, then being the first to play.