US Snatches Pokemon World Championship from Japan

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Optimystic said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Excuse me?
I meant that your post was funny. (If one laughs while drinking a beverage, it can sometimes exit through unplanned orifices.)
Oh, it just how you worded "I snorted coke on my desktop" sounded like it was... something else.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Pretty interesting. I am slightly surprised that the winner wasn't some older dude who has been playing Pokemon since "Red" and training intensely for this day through every edition or something....

All I can say is "Booyah" America, and that it's kind of neat that they have a world championship for this.... I don't play Pokemon really, so I had no idea.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
can someone please tell me in detail why nobody used a team that you would actually play the game with? I mean seriously, My little brother owns pokémon platinum with all 3 starters, Giritina,haunter and I think he ported over a blaziken and he could probably beat them

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Josh12345 said:
can someone please tell me in detail why nobody used a team that you would actually play the game with? I mean seriously, My little brother owns pokémon platinum with all 3 starters, Giritina,haunter and I think he ported over a blaziken and he could probably beat them
Because when playing the game against the computer, all you want is a team of six sweepers (fast, hard-hitting guys). In the competitive game, six sweepers is a quick way to losing because players can predict and outthink you in a way that the AI never can.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Why was I not informed of this sooner!? Now I want to go to this and hopefully can next year.

El_Moss

Jul 21, 2009
wordsmith said:
Normal games need 6 sweepers (pokes that hit hard and have a high HP/Defence combo)
Actually that would be tanks. Sweepers have high Attack/Sp. Attack combined with a high Speed.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
El_Moss said:
wordsmith said:
Normal games need 6 sweepers (pokes that hit hard and have a high HP/Defence combo)
Actually that would be tanks. Sweepers have high Attack/Sp. Attack combined with a high Speed.
Typically, although for a few attacks/Pokemon, they want to attack second. Or Trick Room could be up. But, yeah. A good team would ideally use a mix of Sweepers, Tanks, and Walls. Look at me, speaking like Pokemons a sport =P

Ive been big into the competitive crowd, and Im kinda happy to see the USA grab the championship. Pokemon is my favorite series, it mixes friendliness with deep strategy. Not many games can pull off a game that offers a challenge to kids and adults; yet I still struggle with the Elite 4 on a new playthrough.

This is the first step. We got Pokemon, lets go for Soccer next, speed eating second, and finish it off with rebounding the economy. USA, USA.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Optimystic said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Excuse me?
I meant that your post was funny. (If one laughs while drinking a beverage, it can sometimes exit through unplanned orifices.)
Oh, it just how you worded "I snorted coke on my desktop" sounded like it was... something else.
That's why I said "keyboard" rather than "desktop." :p

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
You know, I've never liked competitive gaming, since it's mainly been socially maladjusted dullards trying to squeeze the fun out of games, but Pokemon has always to me been the worst, since it takes the great casual system of pokemon and turns it into an aggressive environment of psuedo-legendaries and abusive metagaming taking the colorful diverse world and reducing it to the 6 competitive entries.

Enjoy your victories you joyless freaks, my Snowlass may not be in your tier, but she's cooler than all yall.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Optimystic said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Optimystic said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Excuse me?
That's why I said "keyboard" rather than "desktop." :p
But you still can see where my confusion came from.