USA - Police State here we come!

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
im getting a lot of use out of this video:

whenever i see or read about some American saying/complaining about their rights, i just laugh nowadays about his/her stupidity.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
kebab4you said:
He also backed down on his veto against SOPA, so I really hope he doesn't get re-elected, but then again, what sane person do the US got left then to represent them?
In all honesty? About the only candidate who doesn't have their head jammed so far up their ass they can see daylight is Ron Paul.

And Ron Paul is never going to win an American election. For better or worse, he's too honest and frequently alienates either/both parties. It's kinda sad, because I'd really like him to win once.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Samuel Henson said:
I would be killed by Republicans, because I believe that communism is the right idea.
It's a great idea. All you need for it to work in real life is remove the human element from the equation...

Oh, Wait...

As for this bill, meh, doesn't affect me personally, however I would suggest that if there wasn't an element of the population hell bent on the destruction of the Western way of life, then western governments would not feel the need to create legislature restricting rights in order to guarantee security.

Not to say that I agree with this kind of legislation, because I ultimately believe in a laissez-faire attitude to interfering with peoples lives (and with that, I believe in a transparent system of justice in which everyone is guaranteed a fair and speedy trial), but we can't just sit and bleat that our governments are oppressing peoples rights, when there are people going out of their way to kill us (and those like us), because we give people too many rights, and they'd much rather we lived by their rather strict version of religious law.

Which as an Atheist, I'm FAR more against than simply the idea of a government holding criminal suspects without trial.

TL;DR: Yeah, this legislation sucks, but I'd blame international terrorists for causing fear-based reactionary legislation, before blaming our democratically elected governments who are just trying to do what they think their voters want.

Sjakie said:
This.

Favorited.

The Dutchess said:
I may be being pessimisstic or over-dramatic but I seriously think humanity is in a huge downward spiral right now. Every day on the news I hear of some guy going nuts and killing his family, some new natural disaster and the economy is still in the crapper despite everything.
You're wrong.

Want proof? Read a history book. Any damned history book.

Humanity, as a whole, is a damned sight better off than we have been at any point in our miserable existence on this planet. And that multiplies hundreds of times for those of us living in the western world. You can bleat as much as you want about how you feel the economy is fucked and the news is depressing, but the fact is that you live in a world where you don't have to fight daily for your very survival.

Economic recessions are no new thing. We've had them throughout the course of history, and we've always bounced back. We'll bounce back out of this - and keep in mind that in this economic recession we are still getting new technology, science continues to advance, and the standard of living (despite what a lot of people thing), remains incredibly high.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
xvbones said:
Move to China if you want to see what life in an actual police state resembles, k.
I don't think anyone suggested that this would make America the same as China, but it's certainly a step in that direction.

xvbones said:
The fact that you are even capable of levying such claims without breaking the law sort of proves that America is not, in fact, a police state.

K?
So we should only start to worry when we're being arrested? You're in a car hurtling toward a cliff at 150mph, at what point should you begin to worry about things? Yeah sure, the situation doesn't resemble a car crash [yet], but if it DID it'd kind of be a bit late to do anything about it right?

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
Sjakie said:
im getting a lot of use out of this video:

whenever i see or read about some American saying/complaining about their rights, i just laugh nowadays about his/her stupidity.

George Carlin was a very, very funny man.

One of my favorites, even.

But only very, very ignorant ones take his words as gospel.

You can sit on your hands and roll your eyes and make all the jokes in the world you want... but if you want to effect any kind of change, if you want to uphold any semblance of civilization, then you have to accept the philosophy that there are such things as 'intangibles'.

You can't see or touch or taste or smell them. We've "made them all up", as Carlin would say.

But they have significance and meaning. They're there, and disregarding them isn't the same thing as disregarding religions' "morality" because these are things we have all agreed on and signed into practice and made a part of our lives.

And you can strip all the significance away, if you like. You can make it seem pointless to ever care about anything or anyone and to just go about your merry day being a predictable ass.

But that doesn't do any good for anyone.

You have rights assigned to you by law. Laws which are broken ever day, because people are inherently dicks... but laws all the same. And like predictable asses, dickish laws can be fought and overturned with enough support. Sometimes it's a revolution, sometimes it's just a lot of protests and rioting in the streets.

But the one thing that doesn't fix anything?

Laughing and calling everyone who actually does give a fuck stupid.

Even Carlin didn't call them stupid. Crazy? Sure... but what human isn't!? We're pretty much designed to be completely batshit mental!

But he most certainly never called them stupid.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Darth_Dude said:
Well that's depressing. I would hope that our politicians wouldn't vote something so blatantly unconstitutional, but there I go being optimistic again.

Also, this may already have been said, butI didn't see it on the first page so here goes:

This thread probably should have been posted in the Religion and Politics thread. That's what it's there for, after all! :)

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
"Hurr durr we have gans so werr freeeee"

You know, all this time on the internet I have heard the american wet dream of taking their AR15s and fight jet CAS/bombers, tanks and APCs, artillery crews and take on the tyrants in the government.

They have been getting these assaults on their freedom but have done nothing so far.

All you 2nd Amendment lovers are a shame. You have it, and like I always said, never put it on actions instead of words.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
ElPatron said:
"Hurr durr we have gans so werr freeeee"

You know, all this time on the internet I have heard the american wet dream of taking their AR15s and fight jet CAS/bombers, tanks and APCs, artillery crews and take on the tyrants in the government.

They have been getting these assaults on their freedom but have done nothing so far.

All you 2nd Amendment lovers are a shame. You have it, and like I always said, never put it on actions instead of words.

The reason you don't hear much more than that... is that any organization that professes to be a militant armed force against the government gets promptly dismantled. So it's probably best for them all to not go around advertising their information on forums.

Especially forums where, you know, they're not really the important news of the day?

Eh. Meh. Doesn't matter. I mostly agree with you anyways. It's time for folks to start putting their money where their mouths are.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
mxfox408 said:
It's funny cuz most Americans whine about this and that yet they don't vote these assholes out of office, so quite frankly the idiots are not just the politicians, but the dummies are the people who keep re-electing these no good pos politicians. Those who whine about it but do nothing are part of the problem.
No, I'd say the problem is in part a two party system which leaves those who want to do something about it no real option to actually vote for change. Republican, Democrat, it's all the same shit just in different piles, and they have the political system so locked down that no other party or independent candidate will ever have a chance.

Lionsfan said:
Is this the bill Anon has been going on about? My guess is that it's not as bad as people are making it, otherwise it never would have passed with such flying colors.
And the other half of the problem are people so unbelievably naive that they actually suggest this can't be that bad or it wouldn't have passed so easily.

This bill is such an offensive assault on the rights of US citizens that if there were any justice in the world Americans would be taking to the streets in mass protest at the very least.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Zen Toombs said:
Darth_Dude said:

This thread probably should have been posted in the Religion and Politics thread. That's what it's there for, after all! :)
I know, and I probably broke some rules by doing that, but threads in the Religion and Politics section dont show up in the Forum thingy on the main page, and I wanted this thread to get more publicity, for obvious reasons.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
All I can say to this is, I'm glad I don't live in America. Seems like all I ever hear about these days is the US government tightening its grip on the balls of its citizens.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Varanfan9 said:
Actually Obama said he is going to Veto it. So theres that.
He said that but now reports are showing that's he's backed off from that statement and is going to sign it into law

Mr.Tophat

May 18, 2011
Well isn't it nice that 9 members of the supreme court all openly stated they would *****-slap it back into the dark pits of non existence that is so justly belongs in.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Except that Obama can and probably will (if he's sane) Veto this.
EDIT: And in the off chance he doesn't and this become law, then I can pretty much say we'll be having a Civil war by the end of either 2012 or Mid-2013. :/ Most likely because cops will try to use Protestors as 'terrorist' and detain them without any sort of trial.

Congrats Washington, hell of a country you've founded.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
As a below-poverty-level white American, the chances I'll be directly affected by this are slim to none. So I guess what I'm saying is "I don't care, and I won't as long as I'm not directly affected.".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth_Dude said:
ointment?

Source:

[link]http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2011/12/2011121544018945737.html[/link]
'Course, you can find it on the BBC, as well as domestic sites. I'm sure the al Jazeera source was for the lulz or whatever, but's not like they're the only ones reporting it or it's somehow less true.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
Lionsfan said:
Is this the bill Anon has been going on about? My guess is that it's not as bad as people are making it, otherwise it never would have passed with such flying colors.

And plus, if the government wants to imprison/interrogate you, well they'll do it anyways regardless of whatever bill is out there
Was that the video with the theme tune and masked man with several different computerised voices? I'm 90% sure that wasn't the "real" Anonymous (the 40 or so members at the core, who are actually dangerous). In fact, I think it was somebody trying to imitate and discredit Anonymous by making a ridiculously terrible video.
.... what.

You don't have the faintest idea of what anonymous is do you