Used Games and Why they sell...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
A point to bring up in the used vs. new debate, is simply this: Using the Gamestop model for used games, you can buy one and if you don't like it trade it back within 7 days for your MONEY BACK. Not a gift card, not the same game, but you can get a refund.
New games, once they're opened are basically shot to hell. You can't return them for your money back, you can't exchange them for a different game. You can only get the same exact game in trade. This is not a store policy, this is a nationwide policy that also applies to CD's, DVD's and BluRay. This effectively shuts out the people who don't get a chance to play the game beforehand; whether there be no demo, they can't afford to rent games at video stores or RedBox (or Gamefly). And seriously with the prices for rentals, you can't enjoy a game for 2 days at those prices.
Topic Deviance Ahead!!
PC Games were the first to implement the open box theory, thus making it impossible to return PC games due to the product codes contained inside. Once used, they cannot be used again on another computer unless the first PC no longer has it installed (I'm aware of cracks and stuff, I'm not mentioning those for many reasons because I believe cracking/false serial #'s is just plain stealing). And yet PC Gamers still buy games new, don't yak about the serials they have to enter in. Its been around for years and yet when the console market decides they want to implement the same tactics, suddenly its wrong? There's a strong disconnect there. And no I'm not going to get into DRM.

TL;DR:Back to my original point. Used games sell better (at Gamestop at least) because it gives a customer a chance to say "I made a bad decision, I don't like this" and return it after playing it for a full refund. If NEW Games were also allowed to do this, there might be a spike in new game sales (and a drop in used game trade-ins). Why do I post this theory? Because then people can get a chance to see if they like the game they spent $60 on. This would also eliminate the need for Online Codes as returns can be repackaged as new games (who can tell the difference at Gamestop, where EMPLOYEES TAKE HOME NEW COPIES TO PLAY THAT EVENTUALLY GET SOLD AS NEW TO CUSTOMERS. So... what do you think?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
Because then people can get a chance to see if they like the game they spent $60 on.
I know you mentioned that rentals are expensive, but in the absence of a demo they're the next best (legal) thing. At Blockbuster I can pay £8 for a month of unlimited rentals or it's £5 for 5 nights.

Used games sell because they're cheaper, usually significantly so. Though under your proposed scheme there'd be a hell of a lot of used games being put on shelves that's for sure. As Matthew94 posted above, if more games were released with more substantial demos then maybe new sales would go up.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
amaranth_dru said:
Because then people can get a chance to see if they like the game they spent $60 on.
I know you mentioned that rentals are expensive, but in the absence of a demo they're the next best (legal) thing. At Blockbuster I can pay £8 for a month of unlimited rentals or it's £5 for 5 nights.

Used games sell because they're cheaper, usually significantly so. Though under your proposed scheme there'd be a hell of a lot of used games being put on shelves that's for sure. As Matthew94 posted above, if more games were released with more substantial demos then maybe new sales would go up.
See the thing is, without the Online Passes (if that were to happen) and the return new games policy redacted, there wouldn't be used games going on the shelf when new games are returned.
You don't see retail clothing outlets putting returned clothes on the used shelves, nor do you see walmart putting canned foods that are returned on the used racks (since there are none).
Mind you, this is a fantasy topic because it would never happen. But this is a solution to the Gaming Industry's issue with used game sales and the "loss of sale" whining, along with perhaps reducing the price of new games.
Which brings me to another point. Its a known fact that games sell better at reduced prices (see used games) and if Publishers were to drop the $60 US price tag mandates for their games I guarantee they'd see an increase in overall profit as more people would buy new games at full price. This would also lower the used game sales profit by eliminating the higher cost of games.
Example: Today Gamestop sells used games for new releases at around $5.01 US less than the price of a new game (e.g. $54.99 vs. $60.00). If publishers were to drop the price of games to say $45.00 new, then used game stores (e.g. Gamestop) would have to reduce their used prices as well. And in addition, allowing customers to return opened merchandise (which Gamestop does anyway prior to customers buying the game thus making it already open, even though they seal it with a sticker). Also Gamestop opens PC Games (including collectors editions) which sometimes have things missing (especially form collectors editions. So how exactly are we buying new games unless we buy from Best Buy or some other retailer?

TL;DR - Publishers lower prices and allow customers to return new merchandise for whatever reason, even if it is opened, and I guarantee a profit for the Publishers (also eliminating Online Passes). If there are pre-order bonuses for said games, then customers should have to give the gamertag/PSN (for console owners) to get said pre-order bonuses so if the game is returned, that particular code can be locked out and the player cannot receive said bonus due to returning game. It may solve problems, it may turn out to be profitable. IT won't stop piracy but it may go a long way to healing rifts between gamers and publishers and publishers may make more money from NEW sales and see a decline in used sales (except perhaps for older games that aren't published anymore).

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Somonah said:
The used game debate is bullshit. No other industry in the world (that i can think of) makes money off a product they already sold, being sold again.
Genetically modified crops do, also the finicial sector. And the industry doesnt make money off a product they already sold; it's the middle man, which in this sector as in all other can DIAF for all i care.

Edit: And well, they sell because they are a cheaper way to get the games and the middle man is very good at exploiting the system. Anything else IMO is just a rationalization, which i dont mind but... well, whatever.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
FelixG said:
Pro-tip that's not illegal: Take a game you are unsatisfied with back to the retailer where you purchased it from, claim that the game is not functioning properly and that you want one that will work.

Then you wait a day and go back, return the now unopened game for refund.
Many retailers counter that with opening the new game for you (to ensure this disc isn't scratched).

Further, big box stores keep a record of everything you bring back so chances are bringing the same unopened game back a day later would raise a flag. You may get away with it once but no more than that.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
amaranth_dru said:
EMPLOYEES TAKE HOME NEW COPIES TO PLAY THAT EVENTUALLY GET SOLD AS NEW TO CUSTOMERS. So... what do you think?
first according to gamestop policy that should not be happening. they are allowed to take home a used copy for a set number of days and only if multiple copies of the game are available.

on topic: I buy used games because they are cheaper. not much to say about that. I dont have sixty dollars to spend on a new game every month. but I can afford to splurge and buy three for roughly fifty dollars when they are having a sale and be set for at least three months. I know not all games sell for sixty dollars new, but if they are selling for less new that means the used version is even cheaper and im a cheap asshole.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Basically the solution is that all games should have demos that arrive before launch
This. And the demo should be more than fifteen minutes long, and not specifically made to usually show off the best bits. For games like Skyrim, Fallout and most RPG games, give the player the tutorial levels, which are usually decent length anyway. And then be able to port the created character over so you don't have to replay the tutorial level or create a new character.

As for most FPSs though....well, give us the first hour. And then make your games longer so you're not giving us the first entire quarter of the game.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Does your gamestop really do that? Is it a new policy, cause I'm pretty sure mine didn't when I still bought stuff there? Shit what's to stop someone from taking the game beating it then trading it back in that window?

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
There's also the issue of company loyalty. I bought a used copy of Rayman today instead of the new one (which was only a couple extra bucks) because I am mad at Ubisoft, and I don't want them to have my money (I bought AC:Revelations new so don't worry... I'm a total hypocrite). I did it deliberately to shaft them out of a sale while still allowing ME to play a good game.

I am having my cake and eating it and also shitting it out and leaving it on Ubisoft's doorstep... or I would if they hadn't revoked my passport for doing that to Bioware after Dragon Age 2 (which I bought new).

Yes, it is absolutely true that if you buy a used game when you could have bought a new one, you are not helping the developer in any way (leaving aside the issue of a potential future sale. That's a pretty nebulous concept, especially when it's most likely you'll buy the sequel used anyway), but I think it's too extreme to say you are actively HURTING the industry. It's (effectively) no different than if you bought a game from a friend instead of new from Best Buy (or wherever), except that your friend is your friend and Gamestop is more like the cold unfeeling robot arm from Invader Zim.

amaranth_dru said:
EMPLOYEES TAKE HOME NEW COPIES TO PLAY THAT EVENTUALLY GET SOLD AS NEW TO CUSTOMERS.
Also, I worked at Game Crazy before the Hollywood execs ran their company into the ground, and I can say at least for our store, that never happened, and if it did, you would be terminated. It was okay to open stuff in the store and play it there, but we were limited to one ("display") copy of the game. I can't speak for Gamestop's policies though, or indeed for the individual policies of other store managers at other Game Crazies.

I will say, though, I think it is bogus that either place would sell people a game that has been opened at the full 60 dollar price, even if the disc has never left the store. They don't do that with, like, strawberry jam or band-aids at the grocery store.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
NightHawk21 said:
Does your gamestop really do that? Is it a new policy, cause I'm pretty sure mine didn't when I still bought stuff there? Shit what's to stop someone from taking the game beating it then trading it back in that window?
Nothing. It's just a technique of sales rapport and impulse. Many stores just need a reason to bring your butt into the store and they know you will spend money. How many times have you went to Wal-Mart for AV cables and end up spending $30-40 on a bunch of other crap too? Gamestop isn't worried about it I guarantee. The used merchandise moves itself and when it slows they have buy 2 get one free sales and then it does again.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I buy used games.
There I said it.
I also buy new games.

The difference?
The games I buy used are based of 2 types.

1)The old games I just can't get my hands on new. Like for instance, I bought Pokemon LeafGreen the other day. Couldn't find a new copy anywhere.

2)So-so games.
You know, those games that MIGHT be fun, but you're not sure, you've never played anything from that series. Too high of a gamble for 60 euro's, but if I spot it for 20 in the used game list, I'm taking my chances.
This had lead to my love for [PROTOTYPE], Dragonball Raging Blast 2, Saints Row 2 and a few more. And this also made sure that I will probably get [PROTOTYPE2] and Saints Row 3 new.
Yes, yes, I know Saints Row 3 is already in stores, but I'm just too busy with my Charmander and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Well, as someone who has gotten into the used market last year, I have to say that it totally depends on the game. I do extensive research on whether the game is good or not, I find price drops and most importantly, figure out if the game is worth buying on day one. Games like Arkham City and Mass Effect 2 will either have DLC that is not vital to the main game or won't plan to release a GOTY version.

Gamers these days lack patience. I waited 1 year and half for Fallout 3 GOTY and almost 2 years for RDR GOTY. And it paid off. What games to play until then ? Well, PS2 has quite a library. The other day I bought Burnout Revenge (E3 promo edition, only 500 exist on the planet) and Final Fantasy X for 20 euros. And let's not forget about the PSone. Symphony Of The Night is fucking incredible.