Useless Facts, The Best Kind of Facts

Krafty_Krocodile

Jul 6, 2010
Sonic the hedgehog originally was supposed to have fangs and a girl friend called Madonna, this was supposed to be implemented to make him more accepted to America.
There is a breed of turtle named after Steve Irwin.
One of Jupiter's moons is called IO, this stands for Inside Out. It is called that because there is so much volcanic activity happening on it that it looks Inside out.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
kurupt87 said:
You only ever breathe through one nostril at a time, never both.
Lies.

If Bill Gates were to stash his money under his mattress and fall out of bed, his interest would mean he'd never hit the floor - assuming of course the interest pushed the floor downwards in stead of pushing the mattress upwards.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
The bullshit "fact" that humans only use 10%, 20%, or 35% of our brains is, well, bullshit. We use around 60% at one time, but put together, we use a full 90% of our brain. The last 10% is either nothing special, or the ability to transform into cars.

zombiestrangler

Sep 3, 2009
viper3 said:
The phrase: "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically valid sentence. Don't believe me? Look it up.
I lol'd.
Let's see....
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch as Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

spidermounky

Nov 8, 2010
LuckyClover95 said:
Rockchimp69 said:
Talal Provides said:
Rockchimp69 said:
Out of the millions of races of animal on our planet, only 1 known race has biological immortality. That is to say, it can keep on living forever as long as it isn't killed or doesn't run out of food.
And they're immortal because every time they have sex, they revert back to being a child.
Although most of them never survive much longer than the average human, between 40 and 70 years I believe but I can't really remember.
What creature is that?
"Turritopsis nutricula" its a type of jellyfish

mindlessvulgarity

Aug 23, 2009
BlastedTheWorm said:
It's believed that Tyrannosaurus had a poisonous bite. So if the massive punctures or crushed bones didn't kill you...
The bite itself wasn't poisonous, it was the fact that the teeth and saliva would have been riddled with germs, bites recieved from the T-Rex would become quickly infected.

rescuer86

Apr 12, 2010
Stormz said:
DarkRyter said:
People with green eyes can't see dogs.
So THAT'S why I have never seen a dog before!
Who told you what a dog was? And how would you know you have never seen one unless you saw one one day. Owww, my head hurts.

Flig

Nov 24, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
The voice acting who played ducky in the land before time was murdered by her abusive dad
I don't really have any useless facts I can call up offhand...but that one just ruined the rest of my night...it's just so...depressing.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
ghstman said:
Echer123 said:
That's just one star in one galaxy. I give you the Hubble Deep Field image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HubbleDeepField.800px.jpg

In it are almost three thousand galaxies. Not stars. GALAXIES. The kicker though is that this image was taken of a section of sky only 2.5 arcminutes across. (An arcminute is 1/60th of a degree). That's a dot roughly about as big as a tennis ball would appear as from a little over a football field away (~100m). It covers about .0002% of the sky.

If we assume the distribution of galaxies in the HDF picture to be roughly representative of the whole, then 3,000 galaxies x 500,000 (# of HDF pics to cover the whole sky) = ~1,500,000,000 galaxies total.

There are about 3x10^11 stars in the Milky Way Galaxy. If we assume this to be about average for a galaxy, that means there are a total of about 4.5x10^20 (450,000,000,000,000,000,000) stars in the universe.

You live on a tiny speck of dust floating around just one of them. The next nearest star, Proxima Centauri is 4.218 light years, or 24,800,000,000,000 (24.8 trillion) miles away.

To the universe, you are nothing.

And just for kicks and giggles, here's the Hubble ULTRA deep field, where they did another one, this time with better technology and for a longer period of time to let the dimmer galaxies show up. There are about 10,000 galaxies in this one and it covers 20 square arcminutes of sky.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/Hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg
Thanks for making my very existence feel even more obsolete than it did before I came into this thread.

As for my fact...
If you hold your left arm out straight and hold your thumb tightly inside your first then stick your right thumb down your throat, you have no gag reflex. (I can't get it to work, but it works for everyone I tell it to)

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Yay! Fart facts! Because I have great taste:

-The temperature of a fart at the time of its release is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
-Farts have been clocked at a speed of 10 feet per second.
-On average, a person produces half a litre of farts per day.

[email protected]

Jun 24, 2009
Talal Provides said:
Rockchimp69 said:
Talal Provides said:
Rockchimp69 said:
Talal Provides said:
Sharks have seven senses.
That isn't actually that many, we have loads, for example:
Touch,Pressure ,Pain (Damage), Temperature, Balance, Hearing, Vision, Taste, Smell, Sexual Pleasure, Hunger, Thirst etc..
Well, they have everything we have, plus they can detect motion and electricity.
Fair point, you don't happen to know how they detect electricity do you?
They have a series of receptors on their nose, they're the little black dots you see when you look at a shark's face up close, and they're sensitive enough to detect the electricity traveling through the nervous system of a small fish. That's the scariest thing about sharks to me, they have receptors that are there to detect living things.

Another thing about sharks that's kind of scary, the sharks that are alive today have remained fundamentally unchanged for 300 million years. They're such perfect animals that they have had no need to evolve.
they have a jelly like substance in there nose that allows them to feel or sense the electro pulses given off by all living things, the main reason they can do this to hunt and pinpoint there prey AKA you=] is because the water amplifys the strength of aforementioned pulses

AtheistAndProud

Apr 25, 2010
A man once died because he attempted to french-kiss a rattlesnake.
The Companion Cube, in Portal, only exists because the average person couldn't remember to carry it along unless it had a name like "Companion"

Ultraman950

Oct 17, 2010
The first voice of Piglet in the Winnie the Pooh cartoons was one of the first Twelve Angry Men.

The budget for The Room was six million dollars. Which Tommy Wiseau raised by himself.

Speaking of, Wiseau wants to make a video game and kid's cartoon show based on the movie.

The game Ninja Ninja Revolution, seen in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, is not an actual arcade game.