Username Origins

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
Back around 1990, I wrote a poem about mother dying during childbirth and the newborn's name was Evenest (just a name I made up. I liked the way it sounded within the tempo of the poem).

When I was trying to set up an email address, I found that everything I chose relating to my actual name required a number at the end. I wanted something without a number and that name I created popped into my head. I had not realized then how difficult it would be to tell people my email address as the letters S, T, and N are often confused with F, D, and M.

Of course, since the creation and popularization of the band Evanescence, I've found that I can't create a gmail account with my handle without having to add a number at the end.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Mine came from about 2000, when I bought a copy of RPG Maker for the Playstation 1 when I was 10 off of Ebay.

I had a plan for a video game (before I actually tried playing it and finding it damn near impenetrable to use) called Shogun Blade. I wrote sketches of characters, planned names of weapons, maps, hidden spells and upgrades (I was heavy into Final Fantasy 8 and 9 at the time), stories and timelines were irrelevant, because I was more excited about making a game rather than a good game.

The game never came through (Sad panda was I), but I kept all my original plans. I bought a copy about two years later, found I couldn't play it (The instruction booklet reads like Stereo Instructions), still have it, but I have found I'm better at story writing than programming.

But yes, Shogunblade was Originally two words, and it stemmed from an RPG idea I had (and still kind of want to make one day), but I haven't got the talent to program it (Even PC versions of RPG Maker are too hard to look at without making my eyes hurt).

Noetherian

Hermits United
May 3, 2012
Copper Zen said:
Curse your Too Cute Avatar! I recognize the cat+collar picture but I can't place the name of the movie!

You will tell me what the name of the movie is! Do it! I must know!!!

EDIT: It's not Escape to Witch Mountain. Is it Return to Witch Mountain? It has 1960's or 1970's Disney aliens in it, if I recall correctly.
It's not anything Witch Mountain (though I remember enjoying those, too), although you're spot on with the oldschool Disney aliens. The cat in question just so happens to be one of those aliens. Sure you want me to give it away?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
A nickname from high school. Also when I first started getting into the internet at the age of 17. A friend of mine called me 'otakon' from MGS since I was into anime a lot back then.

corvuscorrax

Sep 20, 2012
Corvus Corrax: Scientific name for the common raven

Also the name of the Progentitor and Primarch of the XIX legion astartes

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Growing up I was a big Metroid fan, still am. But being a guy, I didn't want to use Samus's name in any way, didn't want to use numbers either.

So I had a long think and came up with Chozo Hybrid, it's essentially what Samus is, a combination of human and chozo.

Had it for almost 12 years now, and it's a username that I hold very dear :)

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
My friend was getting me into WoW and I was having trouble thinking of a name. He grabbed a random book off the shelf, opened to a random page and saw Yassen. It's the name of a russian assassin in the Alex Rider series, it seemed pretty good so I used it. And since I completely lack originality I just use it as my online alias for everything.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I made it the night my family had gotten Xbox Gold and it asked me for a username. I decided to put my name along with 2019 (which is hopefully my college graduate class). It had already been taken. I tried my full name. Taken. InvaderZim2019? Taken. I tried everything. It came to a point where (mind you I was about 11 or 12), I just said "Dangit2019" as a joke, and it finally registered permanently. I decided to just make light of the crappy name, and it's stuck ever since.

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
Hmmmm, the old days when I got hotmail, Windows Live wouldn't let me have just "acer" and it recommended me a few names as well as "acer840". That's how I got my old online name. My new name I got while I used to Scrim in Counter Strike Souce, I was using akspray, and I told my team the enemies had gone towards Short A (Dust 2) and to loop around behind them through tunnels. Bad idea as there were 3 T's with Paras just in case. My team mate said I was just full of Bad Intel. I changed my name to "Bad Intel" the next round and it stayed.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
After lurking for about a year I decided to make an account. My characters name in WoW was Dugraka but everyone just calls me Dug. Then it got me thinking of Dig Dug and whether or not he was a robot of some sort... so I put Machine and pressed enter.

Soooo birth of DugMachine. The name that makes no sense and honestly I don't even like but whatever!

Aug 7, 2012
I was bored, had the username "NightWingX3" on a couple things (still do), and I was sitting around thinking, "I want an original name." and my friend and I later made a joke about the power of elephants, The Elephant of Power (on The Escapist anyway, fits some places, but not most), didn't fit, so I changed it to lies, because, well, why not.

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
Haunted for my sleep is alway ethier nightmares or dreams that wake me and Serenity for as that is what sleep is supposed to be. Came about afetr a long talk with a friend trying to describe my prediciment and she said oh kinda a haunted sereinty huh.

It was ethier that or DeathByFriction when it came time to make a X-box live account so it has and forever will be HauntedSerenity.

Except starcraft2 where I am Backfire for my plans aways Backfire...

Avatar Pic comes from Ctrl-Alt-Del forum pic files because it describes how I feel with most days

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
When I was a weee little lad and watched the superman cartoon... I couldn't pronounce a certain gents name. A fine man by the name of Mxyzptlk.

I pronounced it as Mixelpixel. Then, I decided to call myself that on the interwebs,when I found out that wasn't his name. I thought it sounded original...

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Mine emerges from my Youtube username: my original username on YT was carp(numbers I forget), due to my last name being Carpenter. Later, I had to create a new profile, and wanted to go with a similar name. Due to assosciation with the fish, I thought the name "Big fat carp" would be funny. 93 is my birth year. When I set up my Escapist profile, I just decided to reuse the same name.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I wanted neontime but that sounded cheesy. Then I realized I could put neo in the name to spell neo on time. Not cheesy at all.

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
Okay Username origin
Xbox live came up Merciless Almond Seemed okay changed a couple of times the current iteration is Almondy but due to the no username change i'm stuck on ScaryAlmond

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
My names comes from the Batman villian of the same name. Since then I've made it my own through...means.

As for my avatar, it's the vampire clan symbol from "Legacy of Khan: Soul Reaver", a great PS1 game.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I had a lot of usernames, then I decided "I'm going to think of something that sounds cool and spell it so that people have trouble pronouncing it". Add that to my fondness for robots/machines/mecha, and you have MeChaNiZ3D. So no real significance.

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
Miria -> Name of my favorite Anime character at the time and a recurring joke that my play styles often matched up with the characters fighting style.

Jiyuu -> Japanese for freedom, something I believe in.

If any of my friends want to find me, this is the name they search for.