Utah creates 5 person commission to regulate one trans girl playing sports

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If they know what is good for them, they'll remove it. This is something that will fail immediately. These people clearly have no consicense, or feel that since they're trans, the kids/teens "don't count as real people". Freaking monsters in human clothing is what those "law makers" are. Wannabe demons that will claim humanity for every shitty justification and action.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, wonder what the people supporting this bill will say once people starting doing the same checks to cis kids. Suddenly this will be a bad thing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Also, empowing random high school coaches to be genital inspectors that are immune to lawsuits.
Hey, remember that fear mongering comic strip that shows a guy claiming to be a woman in the women's bathroom inspecting the genitals of a little girl and telling the mom 'it's okay, I'm a woman', and how it claimed this is what would happen to cis-gendered women if trans women were allowed access to women's bathrooms?

Yeah.
Yeah, wonder what the people supporting this bill will say once people starting doing the same checks to cis kids. Suddenly this will be a bad thing.
Or how 3-year old kids shouldn't have any say in what gender they are, right Bill Maher? Except when they're cis ofcourse; then a 3-year old boy can call himself a boy and a 3-year old girl can call herself a girl.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Also, empowing random high school coaches to be genital inspectors that are immune to lawsuits.

Definitely not something that will go *horribly* wrong.
Sure. But until it goes wrong, it's a tasty opportunity to look good in front of their voter base on a current moral panic that's extraordinarily cheap to run.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Sure. But until it goes wrong, it's a tasty opportunity to look good in front of their voter base on a current moral panic that's extraordinarily cheap to run.
I mean, Jim Jordan and Matt Gaetz are still respected members of the GOP establishment. Decent chance they wouldn't have a problem with the obvious happening

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

Would you guess, there's nothing in that bill that empowers anyone to inspect people's bodies?

What does this commission do then? " (A) hear the information that supports the student's eligibility; " That's all. What information are they hearing? "Any information the student wishes to disclose to the commission that may be relevant to the commission's eligibility determination," and/or from any medical professionals or other witnesses the student chooses to include to support the student's eligibility."

You're all way too gullible.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Would you guess, there's nothing in that bill that empowers anyone to inspect people's bodies?

What does this commission do then? " (A) hear the information that supports the student's eligibility; " That's all. What information are they hearing? "Any information the student wishes to disclose to the commission that may be relevant to the commission's eligibility determination," and/or from any medical professionals or other witnesses the student chooses to include to support the student's eligibility."

Before I go through this one, is it gonna be like the last one where you can't hold more than two sentences in your head at a time so everything looks kosher in sound bites?

But hey, closed door meetings involving young kids, sports, and coaches immune to reprisal have never been hotbeds of sexual abuse before, right?

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Before I go through this one, is it gonna be like the last one where you can't hold more than two sentences in your head at a time so everything looks kosher in sound bites?

But hey, closed door meetings involving young kids, sports, and coaches immune to reprisal have never been hotbeds of sexual abuse before, right?
It doesn't count as sexual abuse if tstorm can look the other way while it happens.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

He's certainly appears right that the bill does not obviously grant any of the Commission members the personal right to inspect bodies.

They can demand an inspection is done by an appropriate expert of the student's choosing. It may give them wiggle room to de facto demand their own in certain ways: for instance "We don't like your expert go get a new one we approve of". We also have to question what happens if a case goes to legal challenge, which may also involve a right to demand physical inspections.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Everyone who voted in favor of the bill ought to be investigated for child abuse.

Meanwhile, the governor's veto letter is well worth a read: https://governor.utah.gov/2022/03/24/gov-cox-why-im-vetoing-hb11/

Props where they are due. He called out his party on how utterly asinine and cruel it is.

Four kids and only one of them playing girls sports. That’s what all of this is about. Four kids who aren’t dominating or winning trophies or taking scholarships. Four kids who are just trying to find some friends and feel like they are a part of something. Four kids trying to get through each day. Rarely has so much fear and anger been directed at so few. I don’t understand what they are going through or why they feel the way they do. But I want them to live. And all the research shows that even a little acceptance and connection can reduce suicidality significantly. For that reason, as much as any other, I have taken this action in the hope that we can continue to work together and find a better way. If a veto override occurs, I hope we can work to find ways to show these four kids that we love them and they have a place in our state.

I recognize the political realities of my decision. Politically, it would be much easier and better for me to simply sign the bill. I have always tried to do what I feel is the right thing regardless of the consequences. Sometimes I don’t get it right, and I do not fault those who disagree with me. But even if you disagree with me, I hope this letter helps you understand the reasons for my decision.
Welp, he probably won't get re-elected. He'll get primaried and replaced... sad

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Maybe you could help me out here. Why is there a commission at all? Why couldn't this be done a letter of the expert of the students choosing?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Maybe you could help me out here. Why is there a commission at all? Why couldn't this be done a letter of the expert of the students choosing?
Because the function is to place oversight of trans people in sport under political control (of Republicans).

The commission's members are appointed by varied elements of the Utah government all of whom are solidly Republican. So Republicans appoint commission members guaranteed to come out with the right opinions, whilst also keeping themselves at a safe remove from controversy because the commission is "independent". The commission members being immune from legal suits leaves them more free to rule as they please.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So... the expert can give them a piece of paper?
Which they then say isn't good enough and reject the student. Or give them the run around and demand more and more invasive tests, which never quite hit the standard they're looking for.

The important thing to remember is that they don't actually care about fairness: the GOP would shutter girls sports in a heartbeat to save a dollar if it weren't for Title 9