Utah Man Jailed For Alleged Wiimote Rape

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Someone should buy the kid an XBox 360 and a Playstation 3, because I have serious doubts he'll ever be able to play the Wii again.

Also, and I believe someone else pointed this out already, this crime doesn't sound like an act of pedophilia at all, it sounds like an act of violent rage. If the man was satisfying pedophillic urges, he probably would have been penetrating the boy with himself, not a video game controller.

I'm really happy he was caught, though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
"This week in gaming news!" Jesus this is meant to be a gaming news website. Do you think gun websites post every time a guy is killed with a gun?
But that's a common and expected thing. No one expects a Wii-mote rape any more than they expect the Spanish Inquisition.

OT: WAT AM I READ

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
jawakiller said:
I thought this was going to be a story about a man repeatedly pressing the "a" button...

The title mislead me, I am forever disgraced.

Oh, and who the fuck even owns a Wii anymore? Hate to say this but it sounds like the guy threatened the kid he would shove the controller up his ass if he didn't shut up... The kid said bullshit. Dude proved he wasn't bullshitting. End of story. Not a pedophile, a very literal man who takes his threats seriously.
But he did it again the next morning.

How to explain that?

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
lacktheknack said:
jawakiller said:
Not a pedophile, a very literal man who takes his threats seriously.

How to explain that?
The OP said he "attacked" the kid the next morning. He was prolly still really pissed. Now I'm not saying I know the whole story but what from what I've heard... Anger, not pedophilia drove this man to do this. Wouldn't he just have raped the kid the good ole fashioned way if he really did want to sexually assault him?

Just food for thought.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
jawakiller said:
lacktheknack said:
jawakiller said:
Not a pedophile, a very literal man who takes his threats seriously.

How to explain that?
The OP said he "attacked" the kid the next morning. He was prolly still really pissed. Now I'm not saying I know the whole story but what from what I've heard... Anger, not pedophilia drove this man to do this. Wouldn't he just have raped the kid the good ole fashioned way if he really did want to sexually assault him?

Just food for thought.
Eh, fair enough.

Still, he probably shouldn't have been dead drunk at a sleepover.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
Megacherv said:
I...wait...did I just read...he did...I...who in the...

...WHAT?!
I totally read that in Twilight's voice. XD

OT: He deserves to go to prison for however long he can. I'm guessing his attorney will argue not guilty by reason of mental illness, which will probably be backed up by a history of alcohol/substance abuse, and the sheer fact that he was hanging around a 12-13 year old's slumber party when he wasn't the owner of the house as it states the parents of the kids.

Overall, it's an odd situation, but he'll get some time, serve half, and be on probation for the rest of it.

ephesus64

Sep 16, 2010
With respect to the editors,

I am donating another page-view to this sad and disgusting story. I hope Escapist staff will show some discretion in their choices for news stories in the future. I work with emotionally unstable youth, many of whom have been sexually and physically abused, and I come here for an escape from that reality, not an anonymous-like troll-fest exploiting the worst aspects of humanity.

I enjoy The Escapist and its unique news feed, and I visit regularly. If any editors ever bother to read the comment sections of their site, keep up the good work. I consider this a fairly unique indiscretion and I will continue to enjoy your site.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Richardplex said:
So pedophilia, a serious mental condition of which the person suffering from it has no choice in the matter, should be punished by death. We should kill homosexuals, retards and those sort of people, like that paragon of justice did. We all know he was the good guy.

Man needs THERAPY, not prison.
Inflammatory headlines aside, his "rape" was provoked by anger while he was intoxicated; while it doesn't justify what he did whatsoever, it ISN'T HIS NORMAL STATE OF MIND. The method; exotic as it is, suggests that it was more of an act of malice/aggression rather than one of sexual urge.
When he sobered up, he attacked the kid; he didn't rape him again. This suggests to me at least some degree of doubt about him being a pedophile.

Like as not, he's probably not into kids but just your garden-variety drunk, violent asshole.

Jimi Bove

Jan 29, 2011
When I read about what the guy did, I thought, well, that sucks. That guy should not be such an ass. I also thought calling it rape is silly. The man didn't get any sexual pleasure from the event. He didn't think the boy was sexy or make him do disturbing, scarring things. He just stuck an object up his ass. I have pretty sensitive bowels, so I know how much that can hurt and how horrible it can be, but that's all it is. A minute of physical pain.

When I read the comments here, I was a LOT more disgusted. I think it's pretty sick that so many people think someone should die for a simple act of drunken anger. What's next? Hang any teacher who has an angry outburst at his class? One of the best teachers I've seen/had has a lot of anger issues, but he still manages to be a great teacher. Perhaps we should electrify-to-death anyone who knocks a guy out for insulting him. You know, I had a lot of anger issues when I was little because of genes. Maybe we should've killed me right then because I was sick of my class bullying me to the point of exploding multiple times. Maybe we should've never let me grown into a mature, responsible young man and just ended my life right there because I deserved it.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Fawxy said:
Richardplex said:
So pedophilia, a serious mental condition of which the person suffering from it has no choice in the matter, should be punished by death. We should kill homosexuals, retards and those sort of people, like that paragon of justice did. We all know he was the good guy.

Man needs THERAPY, not prison.
Well... fuck. This opened a can of worms that I never intended to be opened. You're obviously kind of upset at me (and rightfully so), but allow me to at least explain a bit.

I essentially said Pedophiles deserve to die; That statement is incorrect and not a reflection of my beliefs. I was angry and upset, and used the terms "pedophile" and "child rapist" interchangeably. That is my mistake.

As I've said in previous threads dealing with the issue, pedophiles who haven't harmed any children should be encouraged to seek therapy and support for their illness.

Child rapists, however, deserve no sympathy and are who I'm really targeting. Like this man, who will (hopefully, hopefully) be punished to the full extent of the law (and deserves much worse).
You're implying that it's not possible to be mentally imbalanced but "fixable" through therapy after committing an act like rape.

I'm not saying that this guy necessarily falls into that category (he very well could be hopeless), or that all rapists should be deemed insane and sent to mental institutions rather than serving time (because many do know exactly what they're doing and aren't mentally incapacitated in any sense)...but come on. The fact that he actually harmed someone doesn't rule out the possibility that he's got some deep-rooted mental issues that need to (and could possibly) be resolved through therapy/meds that he may not be getting now. You don't know enough about this guy to be claiming he's beyond help/that he wouldn't also benefit from therapy.

Jimi Bove said:
When I read about what the guy did, I thought, well, that sucks. That guy should not be such an ass. I also thought calling it rape is silly. The man didn't get any sexual pleasure from the event. He didn't think the boy was sexy or make him do disturbing, scarring things. He just stuck an object up his ass. I have pretty sensitive bowels, so I know how much that can hurt and how horrible it can be, but that's all it is. A minute of physical pain.
Rape is rarely if ever actually about "sexual pleasure" or thinking the victim is "sexy"; it's almost always about power. The article pretty clearly shows that a desire for power was very much tied into the act.

Now I agree it's not "rape" per se, because rape implies actual intercourse; this was a "sexual assault." But the latter is no less scarring or painful than the former, and can often be more so.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Dr. wonderful said:
dagens24 said:
Good. I hope he gets raped with a shiv in prison; a little ironic justice.
No. That is both stupid and wrong.

He should just be taken to jail. That's it.
This is the internet: the same force that will hunt you down and completely ruin your entire life (family and possibly neighborhood) if you do something that can be in any way interpreted as cruel to a cat. Logical justice doesn't apply.

Seems like more fuel for the whole "The Wii is for pedophiles" thing they had going a few years back.

ipitydaf00l

Sep 11, 2011
I'm sorry that I haven't finished reading 4 pages worth of posts, but I have questions:

1.) Why was there a 26 year old at a sleepover for 12 year old or so boys?
2.) Why didn't any of the other kids get the parents?!?
3.) Why on Earth did he do it in the first place?
4.) Why did he feel the need to attack the kid again?!?
5.) Where were the parents the second time?!?
6.) Does that mean he's not really going to be charged if the law states that rape with an object only applies to people 14 or older? REALLY?! *headdesk*

I had to edit this after rereading the article. I'm just at a loss for words. I just have a hard time understanding why there were other boys around witnessing these acts and at no time the parents were woken up and informed.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
At least the controller has a condom included...

I just hope that asshole gets raped with this controller:

A LargePlatypus

May 30, 2011
...this is why the Wii is bad. Why else would Nintendo design the Wii-Motes like that? Also,what kind of 12 year old boy owns a Wii?! Get a manlier system.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
This isn't the same as simply overreacting to a video game loss. If anything, the game seems like a coincidence or excuse to do something he probably would've done anyway.

That's the only vaguely relevant thing I can add outside of a rant about how horrible this person must be and why they deserve the slow-suffering of a life sentence.