Utah Man Jailed For Alleged Wiimote Rape

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Upon reading headline link: "WAT"

Upon reading article and responses: "*frown* Wii-motes don't go there, sir."

And then it hits me how unbelievably horrible and painful that experience would have been. Now I'm just nauseous. Especially since there were supposed witnesses and no one stepped in and stopped it or thought to maybe scream and wake the sleeping parents... who slept through the kid screaming while being sodomized by a Wii-mote.... uh... you know what? No.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The saddest part: the only reason this story is here is because it involves a Wii remote.

Poor kid. I hope the punk goes to jail for that.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
This might be tasteless but...at least it wasn't an N64 controller.

Also, with or without the foam grip?

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Fawxy said:
minuialear said:
Fawxy said:
I essentially said Pedophiles deserve to die; That statement is incorrect and not a reflection of my beliefs. I was angry and upset, and used the terms "pedophile" and "child rapist" interchangeably. That is my mistake.

As I've said in previous threads dealing with the issue, pedophiles who haven't harmed any children should be encouraged to seek therapy and support for their illness.

Child rapists, however, deserve no sympathy and are who I'm really targeting. Like this man, who will (hopefully, hopefully) be punished to the full extent of the law (and deserves much worse).
You're implying that it's not possible to be mentally imbalanced but "fixable" through therapy after committing an act like rape.

I'm not saying that this guy necessarily falls into that category (he very well could be hopeless), or that all rapists should be deemed insane and sent to mental institutions rather than serving time (because many do know exactly what they're doing and aren't mentally incapacitated in any sense)...but come on. The fact that he actually harmed someone doesn't rule out the possibility that he's got some deep-rooted mental issues that need to (and could possibly) be resolved through therapy/meds that he may not be getting now. You don't know enough about this guy to be claiming he's beyond help/that he wouldn't also benefit from therapy.
I don't know enough about him? I know that he raped a child, is that enough? Or are we going to excuse the fact that he egregiously violated this child's rights as a human being simply because he might be "mentally imbalanced"?

If he really is insane, he needs to be institutionalized. If not, he deserves the maximum amount of punishment that the law can provide. Coddling and protecting him because he doesn't think he gets hugged enough does jack shit, and is fucking disgusting to me.
Wow, there are so many strawman arguments in this post that I am baffled. Truly baffled.

No one said it's an excuse for the act, first of all, so stop with that strawman argument. The point is that by saying that pedophiles should be encouraged to get therapy, but that this guy ought to be punished by the law and get "much worse," you implied that you felt him beyond the point of pedophiles in terms of ability to learn how to function through therapy/etc, which doesn't make any sense. Just because someone commits a horrible act, doesn't mean they're not also mentally imbalanced, and doesn't mean they aren't capable of being rehabilitated.

And if you had actually read my post properly, you'd have noticed this bit:

minuialear said:
I'm not saying that this guy necessarily falls into that category (he very well could be hopeless), or that all rapists should be deemed insane and sent to mental institutions rather than serving time (because many do know exactly what they're doing and aren't mentally incapacitated in any sense)
And thus you'd have realized that I'm not "coddling" or "protecting" him. In fact I specifically allow for the fact that he's not imbalanced at all, or that even if he is, therapy wouldn't do him any good. Your entire last paragraph is yet another strawman argument.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Fawxy said:
Massive snip

So, now that I've attempted to clarify any misunderstandings that existed, am I still worse than both child rapists and Hitler?
I went too far in my last paragraph, I overreacted to seeing the Godwins law thing. I apologise for that. And no, after clarifying yourself, you are not, because I have judged it so =D

A LargePlatypus said:
...this is why the Wii is bad. Why else would Nintendo design the Wii-Motes like that? Also,what kind of 12 year old boy owns a Wii?! Get a manlier system.
You mean like, a Playstation Move?

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Though KSL claims that "object rape" is the key crime Parry is being charged with, the state of Utah defines that act [http://corrections.utah.gov/community/sexoffenders/76-5-402.2.html] as only technically possible with a victim "who is 14 years of age or older."
... why would anyone define a law like that ... you would have to explicitly decide for the age limit to be 14, which means that you would have to explicitly say, `if the victim is like ten or whatever then it doesn't count,' or something along those lines ...

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Lono Shrugged said:
Fawxy said:
Makes perfect sense to me. What would you do with him, might I ask?
Might sound the cop out answer but I am not really qualified to make that decision. If I figured out how to successfully punish/rehabilitate a child abuser I guess I would publish a paper on it. I DO know however that satisfying my own selfish need for revenge and satisfaction while blindly missing the inherent irony of that is a bit childish.

Look for at least the last hundred years child rapists are generally reviled by most people and have the toughest time in prison and out of prison. For me it's a case of eating chickens but not eating cats because they are cute. I am fucking certain that if this was a woman who suffered this that people would not get so worked up about it and that disgusts me the most about this case. So I find it hard to swallow when a woman gets raped and there is an element of "she deserved it" and when a child gets raped morality goes out the window and it's ok to want them dead. Yeah it's a child. But so fucking what? I don't see anyone crying about the kid soldiers in Uganda or the 8 year old girls being sold as wives to old men.
This prick obviously didn't care about human rights, why should he be given what he denied everyone else?.

People talk about revenge like it makes you just as bad as the person you're getting revenge on, but their crime were against innocents and unprovoked.

Let me harp on this whole judgement thing.

The ability to judge is a function of survival, it's not about making assumptions, it's just about being smart.

Being able to analyze a person and/or situation is not malicious, it's just useful. Not being able to do so does not make you an understanding or compassionate person, it just makes you confused about your definitions of right and wrong, or stupid.

You could say that you simply value all people equally, but "Judging" works both ways, if you can't think of anyone differently, you can't value anyone above anyone else, regardless of how blatantly different the two people might be.

If the parent of this child wanted this man dead, could you really blame them?. Anger isn't an unnatural poison, it's just as real an emotion as any other. Yes, it can hurt you, but so can love. Wanting to hurt something because it harmed something you hold dear is one of the most natural thing on earth.

They want revenge?, who could blame them?. As far as I'm concerned, if you have no regard for someones well being, they have no obligation to be merciful towards you. They want to use him as a punching bag, he's got no right to complain.

Yes, it has a component of selfishness, it could even be a little bit crazy, but so the fuck what?. If we should all act selflessly all the time then we better get started on the extermination of humanity, we've sure as hell done a lot more harm to the planet then help, who's to say we're more important then every other living thing, polar bears for instance.

We better hope we have a right to be selfish within reason, because lord knows we've been doing a lot worse then that in the time we've been here.

And don't even get me started on crazy, I've yet to meat anyone I wouldn't call crazy.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
I heard the kid was playing Wii Tennis, If so he got Served!
I guess you could say that the rapist got him self a hole in one, after losing that Wii Golf Tournament.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
This is terrible. But look on the bright side, at least the kid didn't own a Playstation Move...

...Or a Kinect

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Fawxy said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Awful case, but all this talk of the death sentence for this crime. I though the whole moral concept for the death penalty was an 'eye for an eye' old testament style. When did it start coming up that the death penalty was acceptable for crime (even though very horrible) that did not involve death.

That just kicks any moral justification for the death penalty out the window and you are now just being a lynch mob. That's not civilisation. Shame on you....

"You don't think these families would rather see the sick fucker dead, unable to harm another person ever again?"

Duh, that's why you have a justice system (which yes could be better) rather than letting a victim decide the punishment. They are hardly going to be objective.
I don't want an "eye for an eye". I want this sick fucker completely removed from society for the rest of their lives, along with every other child rapist so that they don't harm anyone ever again. Be it through death (preferably) or life in prison, they don't deserve to be a part of society.

Yes we have the justice system, I was never advocating that families or victims decide the punishment, merely that the victim/victim's family could take consolation in the punishment that the assailant was given. I believe the punishment in question should be death.
Hence my point you and others now want more than an eye for an eye. I am with you about removing these type of people for as long as possible as I don't think they can reform. But putting them to death because keeping them off the streets for the rest of their lives is too expensive or because of some sense of exacting revenge. No, you an I could not disagree more.

The idea of exacting a worse punishment than the original crime is abhorrent and something, I thought, as a society we were past. What makes you any different than the lynch mobs who decided the crime of being of a different race was something that should be punished by death. And no I am not saying anyone is racist, this is just an example of what lynch mobs do and the danger of the action you are advocating. Being British I am sure I would have been stung up last year in the gulf states after the oil spill if mob rule was allowed to prevail....

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
sumanoskae said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Fawxy said:
Makes perfect sense to me. What would you do with him, might I ask?
Might sound the cop out answer but I am not really qualified to make that decision. If I figured out how to successfully punish/rehabilitate a child abuser I guess I would publish a paper on it. I DO know however that satisfying my own selfish need for revenge and satisfaction while blindly missing the inherent irony of that is a bit childish.

Look for at least the last hundred years child rapists are generally reviled by most people and have the toughest time in prison and out of prison. For me it's a case of eating chickens but not eating cats because they are cute. I am fucking certain that if this was a woman who suffered this that people would not get so worked up about it and that disgusts me the most about this case. So I find it hard to swallow when a woman gets raped and there is an element of "she deserved it" and when a child gets raped morality goes out the window and it's ok to want them dead. Yeah it's a child. But so fucking what? I don't see anyone crying about the kid soldiers in Uganda or the 8 year old girls being sold as wives to old men.
This prick obviously didn't care about human rights, why should he be given what he denied everyone else?.

People talk about revenge like it makes you just as bad as the person you're getting revenge on, but their crime were against innocents and unprovoked.

Let me harp on this whole judgement thing.

The ability to judge is a function of survival, it's not about making assumptions, it's just about being smart.

Being able to analyze a person and/or situation is not malicious, it's just useful. Not being able to do so does not make you an understanding or compassionate person, it just makes you confused about your definitions of right and wrong, or stupid.

You could say that you simply value all people equally, but "Judging" works both ways, if you can't think of anyone differently, you can't value anyone above anyone else, regardless of how blatantly different the two people might be.

If the parent of this child wanted this man dead, could you really blame them?. Anger isn't an unnatural poison, it's just as real an emotion as any other. Yes, it can hurt you, but so can love. Wanting to hurt something because it harmed something you hold dear is one of the most natural thing on earth.

They want revenge?, who could blame them?. As far as I'm concerned, if you have no regard for someones well being, they have no obligation to be merciful towards you. They want to use him as a punching bag, he's got no right to complain.

Yes, it has a component of selfishness, it could even be a little bit crazy, but so the fuck what?. If we should all act selflessly all the time then we better get started on the extermination of humanity, we've sure as hell done a lot more harm to the planet then help, who's to say we're more important then every other living thing, polar bears for instance.

We better hope we have a right to be selfish within reason, because lord knows we've been doing a lot worse then that in the time we've been here.

And don't even get me started on crazy, I've yet to meat anyone I wouldn't call crazy.
What you are advocating with having punishment enacted as revenge, is the same system that had families killing each other off in a spiral of revenge killings off the back of one murder a long time ago. Wars have started over this behaviour. This is why we have a justice system for better or worse that punishes rather than goes for revenge.

A justice system where the victims don't choose the punishment because they are obviously going to be biased. And where the punishment is no worse than the original crime.

To do anything less is to bring back lynch mobs who can decide anything is worth killing over from being the wrong skin colour to being accused of being a witch. Welcome to the civilized world.

drizzt102

Jan 20, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Utah Man Jailed For Alleged Wiimote Rape

Nicholas Perry is currently being held by authorities who allege he forcibly sodomized a 12-year-old boy with a Wiimote.

Utah's KSL news reports:

Investigators say Parry was at a house where four boys, ages 12 and 13, were having a sleepover. Parry became drunk during the course of the evening, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.

At some point he apparently became angry that the young boys were teasing him, Hoyal said. He reacted by grabbing a 12-year-old boy and sexually abusing him using a Wii game controller, Hoyal said.

The act was witnessed by the other boys. The parents of the boy who was having the sleepover were asleep upstairs, he said.

In the morning, when Parry had sobered up, he attacked the 12-year-old boy again, Hoyal said.

Parry later confessed the assault to a neighbor and was subsequently arrested. As the investigation is still in the early stages, it is unknown what kind of penalties the 26-year-old might face.

Though KSL claims that "object rape" is the key crime Parry is being charged with, the state of Utah defines that act [http://corrections.utah.gov/community/sexoffenders/76-5-402.2.html] as only technically possible with a victim "who is 14 years of age or older."

Though it remains to be seen how Parry will be charged, presumably the boy's young age will only serve to make the crime even more grievous.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17530465]

I have a problem with the idea that 'rape' is only possible on a subject of 14 years or older'. WAT THE HELL IS IT THEN!?!?!? If it was a sexual crime, its a sexual crime, so charge, try and prosecute him like it!!! It shouldn't be that difficult!!!