Uwe Boll Launches Postal 2 Kickstarter

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I could care less about his movies, but that half-assed presentation of his kickstarter project was hilarious.
However shitty a director he is or was, you have to respect how hard he's owning the shitstorms people call down around him.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Postal is probably one of my favorite video game movies. I am generally kind to video game movies because I realize that a crappy movie about a beloved game doesn't make the game any worse.

Postal (The movie) followed a silly plot adding in references to the game and managed to channel the random and disturbing ideology behind the original game itself. It didn't match up perfectly, a big idea in Postal 2 (Game) is that the Postal Dude is only as violent as you are and it puts the amount of immaturity and cruelty into the player's hands, which I found extremely interesting.

That said, unless Boll is going to follow the plot of Postal 3 (haven't played it, sorta want to), I think hes gonna have to make up an even more random storyline so I don't see how this movie could work. The first movie made an entire plot out of a single mission, adding in characters from other missions for support, and then ended with the same way the expansion pack for P2 ended.

I am curious to see how this movie would work and would definitely watch it.

I'd prefer a Hitman sequel, getting rid of the love interest and focusing on the cat and mouse aspect from the first film, and maybe another big battle between various Hitmans.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Postal isn't even relevant anymore; the third game barely existed and most people probably wish it hadn't, the studio is probably well into bankruptcy by now, and in the meantime the Saints Row series has taken its place as the token off-the-wall, over-the-top sandbox game for people with a sick sense of humor.

I mean, kudos to the man for recognizing what the one good movie on his resume was and trying to salvage his legacy by turning it into a franchise, but it's just not happening. Ironic as it sounds, Uwe Boll's career prospects have been ruined by someone other than Uwe Boll.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
How was Postal horrible?

I thought it was an amazing movie.

I would love to see a postal 2, I would be willing to pay a bit to see it get made. You people act like his movies are just so horrible yet you have clearly never even given them a chance.

Yeah most of his movies are not that good but their not as insultingly bad as people always make them out to be. They're still above "Fast and furious" as for as writing goes.

Seems this is another case of internet majority deciding people's opinions for them. Watch a movie before hating on it you tools.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Leviano said:
This guy has got to be the worst choice for any game related tie-in. He should not be allowed near any beloved franchise ever again. Better still, cut out his tongue so he can't keep telling people what he does.
What beloved franchise? His movie adaptations have been of nothing but crappy games. Who cares if Boll continues making them? I don't get what the whole fuss is all about.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
Postal isn't even relevant anymore; the third game barely existed and most people probably wish it hadn't, the studio is probably well into bankruptcy by now, and in the meantime the Saints Row series has taken its place as the token off-the-wall, over-the-top sandbox game for people with a sick sense of humor.

I mean, kudos to the man for recognizing what the one good movie on his resume was and trying to salvage his legacy by turning it into a franchise, but it's just not happening. Ironic as it sounds, Uwe Boll's career prospects have been ruined by someone other than Uwe Boll.
Saints row hasn't "taken it's place" because it's not similar in the slightest.

It's stuff like this, I wish people would at least watch a youtube video of a game before acting like they know something about it.

Postal 1, 2, and 3 are all very different games with very different styles.

Saints row hasn't taken the place of anything because it's just went from being a GTA ripoff to a crackdown ripoff with a good story.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Smertnik said:
Leviano said:
This guy has got to be the worst choice for any game related tie-in. He should not be allowed near any beloved franchise ever again. Better still, cut out his tongue so he can't keep telling people what he does.
What beloved franchise? His movie adaptations have been of nothing but crappy games. Who cares if Boll continues making them? I don't get what the whole fuss is all about.
You have no idea that he tries to grab every franchise that is possible. He always puts forward proposals for games, this isn't to say that he gets them. He asked to do the WoW movie ffs. The man lives in a fantasy land where he can actually do his job.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/04/21/blizzard-to-boll-thanks-but-no-thanks/

Has worked with Robin Morningstar on a proposed film of Konami property Contra

Far Cry, of course, been made into a film already, thanks to the mighty powers of Uwe Boll

The man is a hack and should find something he's actually good at.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Vrach said:
He should put two Kickstarters, one to make the film and the other not to and see which ones wins. I'm betting he makes millions on the latter for doing nothing.
Why stop there? Somebody should start a Kickstarter campaign to bribe Uwe Boll into retirement. The only difficulty I see with this is whether or not Uwe Boll's live, internet streamed suicide by seppuku would be permitted as a stretch goal.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Smertnik said:
Leviano said:
The deep storyline of house of the dead and bloodrayne were not well represented.

Ok that is funny but I have to say farcry had a pretty good story, at least for a silly action movie. I wish he would have used that story instead of making it guy vs super soldiers.

Still, with postal and Rampage it seemed like he really found his groove.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Carpenter said:
Yeah most of his movies are not that good but their not as insultingly bad as people always make them out to be. They're still above "Fast and furious" as for as writing goes.
YOU...

You leave now!!!!

:p

Travesty!

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
But if you don't support this Kickstarter wales are going to dies, banks are going to anslave humanity and aliens are going to mind controll you! Did any of you see his promotional videos? They are cracktastic!

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Makabriel said:
Carpenter said:
YOU...

You leave now!!!!

:p

Travesty!
Yes how dare I not take internet consensus as my own opinion!

Did you see postal or rampage before deciding they were shit?

"No I didn't see them because they're shit"

The guy has made some bad movies but he is at least passionate about a few of his movies, namely postal. Yes he phoned in a lot of his other ones but it was obvious he cared about Postal because it was actually pretty good.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Ed130 said:
So basically a Kickstarter to help Germans dodge tax.

Yeah, I'm just going to skip this one.
This! And the bloody thing has some 5 grand on it already. THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE? Why are you helping this asshat? He doesn't need it, he's got money from his flop write offs. Instead, we need someone to challenge him to a boxing match and beat him till he can't even pronounce his own name(then again I can't do that fully functioning but I digress).

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I think if this actually gets funded someone needs to shut down Kickstarter. And possibly all human life.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
That's a pretty measly ammount to ask for for a movie. But it wouldn't surprise me if he still didn't get it;D

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Carpenter said:
Yes how dare I not take internet consensus as my own opinion!

Did you see postal or rampage before deciding they were shit?

"No I didn't see them because they're shit"

The guy has made some bad movies but he is at least passionate about a few of his movies, namely postal. Yes he phoned in a lot of his other ones but it was obvious he cared about Postal because it was actually pretty good.
Ultraviolet

That's all I'm going to say

I was able to choke down the Dungeon Siege movie, but that's the only one I've been able to stand. The rest are just .. *shudder*

And I -like- bad movies..

Edit:
My Bad, It wasn't Ultraviolet I was thinking of, it's the Bloodraynes..

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
I don't get it.

Ewe Boll *already* made a film based on Postal 2. The film was titled, "Postal," and it was quite worthwhile (for what it was). Dave Foley was an excellent choice being cast in that film because he's able to play the disturbing bits in a straight manner.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
FireAza said:
Er, Boll is aware of how much the internet hates him right? As in, the same internet that Kickstarter is on. Unless he's hoping to get it funded by ironic donations, in which case GENIUS!
Which is, in it's own way, admirable. Most self-proclaimed "edgy" people crumple when the internet comes for them. Whether it's Roland Emmerich, Mike Krahulik (Gabe, Penny Arcade), Yahtzee, or other self-proclaimed edgy "I don't care who I offend" creator, as soon as the right demographic gets offended, they crumple like a wet newspaper.

Uwe Boll does not isolate himself from the criticism but keeps going anyway. In anyone else, people would call that an admirable trait.

For those of you who are wondering who would donate, here I am. As for why I donated $5.00, I made two posts on the subject that pretty much sum it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In honesty, I'm thinking of tossing $5 towards this.

1) It probably won't succeed and, even if it does, $5 is kinda hedging bets.

2) Much like name withheld and the Enders Game movie, this Kickstarter succeeding will piss off a whole SWATH of people.

3) I've never actually seen a Uwe Boll movie. Sure, I have Bloodrayne on my list (I think) but I've never seen one. There is a mild curiousity about seeing a movie from a guy who can produce such dissimilar movies as Bloodrayne and Darfur. While, admittedly, it is a curiousity on the level of "maybe I'll attend my 20-year reunion" (and we know how that ultimately ended), there is the curiousity. This multiplies with the subject matter which moves toward:

3.5) "This movie is important and nobody besides Uwe Boll got the balls to make it. " Pazazu, the balls on this dude... He is making the claim that "there is no difference between our democracy and the prison camps in Russia or China. " and he expects us to fund it. Say what you will about his technique but name another director with this much brass. This makes me want to either see this movie be made and succeed or see it be made and hilariously fall on it's face.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, yes, I did decide to put $5.00 towards it.

Putting his ego aside, in a sense, he is correct.

Who else would make this film in today's Hollywood?

I did some light googling and, up to 2008, movies involving government surveillance were fair game and were often critical of government surveillance. Criticism of such was non-partisan. If we had Minority Report in 2004 during the Bush Jr. era, we had Enemy of the State in 1998 during the Clinton era.

Since 2008, we've had Zero Dark Thirty, a movie that arguably is for government surveillance, and that's been it. Nobody else seems to want to touch the subject during a period when it has never been more relevant. Maybe there are projects in the works that I didn't find but, from what I saw, Hollywood seems to have lost it's stomach for the subject.

Uwe Boll might not have been my choice for this but it doesn't look like anyone else is going to step up to the plate in Hollywood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Oh god, I read that title as "Uwe Boll starts Portal 2 Kickstarter" and that horrified me more than it should.

OT: HOW IS HE STILL MAKING ANYTHING?!