Vacation tips for England

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Hi guys. My girlfriend and I are planning our summer vacation, and we're going to be touring England and Scotland. The plan is to land in London, be there for a while, then travel north to Scotland (not sure how far north), and then back south, ending at the Isle of Wight or something. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Things to do and see, places to visit, places to stay, travel methods etc. We're thinking 2,5 - 3 weeks in summer.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Land in England, immediately catch a flight to Ireland, have a much better holiday.

Fly from Ireland to Scotland, go to Edinburgh and back again.

Disregard England. XD

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
There are 1000s of things to see and do in London alone so a few pointers to what you like would be helpful. Err well, here goes any way, the best way to get to Scotland from London is by train. Its quicker to fly but you get to see less of the country and you cant stop off on the way. What I would do is stop off at York and spend a day there. If you are a Harry Potter Fan, you stop off at Alnwick and visit the Castle( it was used as Hogwarts exterior) and then go on North to Edinburgh. Spend the day in Edinburgh and then think about where you want to go next, the train up to Fort William is spectacular. Bath in Somerset is another popular destination for a day trip and you should be able to get a coach trip from London that will take in Bath and Stonehenge in the same day. Oxford and Stratford upon Avon is doable in single day from London.

Ignore any chipy celts. Sitting in their damp bogs they are just jealous of Scunthorpe, the New Jersey of the North. The only place guaranteed to make Detroit look good

Toejam

Mar 21, 2014
Cornwall/Devon for beautiful beaches and countryside, water sports (stop it.) So much to do in that area alone...which is good because it's quite far out of the way.

London - Harry Potter studio tour (you will need to book far in advance), Natural History Museum (this you could spend a few days in alone)

Theme park wise the biggest we have is probably Alton Towers, you might be able to get a good deal on the hotel, but otherwise google some vouchers for 2 for 1 entry. A good day out.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Colour Scientist said:
Land in England, immediately catch a flight to Ireland, have a much better holiday.

Fly from Ireland to Scotland, go to Edinburgh and back again.

Disregard England. XD
Disregard England, travel across Wales instead. Pembrokeshire has some dramatic cliffsides and cosy beaches.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I am disappointed with the lack of tips regarding queuing. OP when you arrive in England and find yourself in a line or queue just use common sense. The most important piece of advice I can give you is get an umbrella.

Toejam said:
London - Harry Potter studio tour (you will need to book far in advance), Natural History Museum (this you could spend a few days in alone)

Theme park wise the biggest we have is probably Alton Towers, you might be able to get a good deal on the hotel, but otherwise google some vouchers for 2 for 1 entry. A good day out.
Can I also add Drayton Manor and Thorpe Park to the list of possible theme parks to visit?

Toejam

Mar 21, 2014
tm96 said:
I am disappointed with the lack of tips regarding queuing. OP when you arrive in England and find yourself in a line or queue just use common sense. The most important piece of advice I can give you is get an umbrella.

Toejam said:

Can I also add Drayton Manor and Thorpe Park to the list of possible theme parks to visit?
But of course! I've never been to Thorpe Park myself, but it's on my to do list (i'm a bit bored of Alton Towers). Drayton Manor I've not been for 30 years or so, i'd imagine it's changed alot over that time, but I loved it when I went. Theres also Flamingo Land which is supposed to be a good 1 too. Again i've not been but the OP can google them

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Well TripAdvisor has a good guide to the top destinations in the UK:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/TravelersChoice-Destinations-cTop-g186216

Other than that definitely consider visiting the Lake District. Its beautiful around there.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Bath is pretty beautiful. They film most of Pride and Prejudice stuff in that area and about, plus you know... Stonehenge. There is an awesome cinema where you drink wine and sit on bean bags, and the Roman Baths.

Plus, Paris is pretty close as well

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It might help to give a bit more information about the kind of thing you're looking for. What's your budget, for example? Also, what kind of things do you both enjoy? What's your image of an "ideal" holiday in the UK? What would you like to find?

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Sure thing, OP.

Firstly, when it comes to London - it has good shopping, but it's prices are absolutely extortionate.
Secondly, consider other towns and cities. The Welsh countryside is dirt cheap compared to the cities of England if you're into nature.

Edinburgh is really nice. (In Scotland.) I've never heard anyone say a bad word about it.

Another thing you might want to beware of is culture shock - I know we British have a reputation for being erudite, good mannered and otherwise refined - but as a people, we're not. The British people are a varied bunch, but most of us are really quite well, common.

For the most part, we're quite a liberal people. But mentioning Europe or immigration will bring out a very ugly and xenophobic side to us. (Very odd considering that we are delightfully mongrel people by culture and bloodline for the most part.)

But for all that's holy, don't disparage the National Health Service, as a people - we're very, very proud of it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm not English, but I've been there a few times.
You have one thing you need to do, go watch a.... *reads OP again*... football match, damn summer travelers! You'll miss the best part of the whole country -.- Unless you can catch a pre-season match of course :/

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
I'm English and I feel I should give one piece of advice on what to look for in this thread, watch out for bias. The UK and Ireland are both an active warzone, and this is a war for resources. The resource in question? Tourists.

It is a really odd thing you see, but people will generally always try and pull you in their direction which is often Ireland, Yorkshire and Wales. I will point out that all 3 places are fabulous to visit anyway.

My personal advice, travelling from London to Scotland, pick a few things you want to do on the way then find cities that will cater to this and you should stop off in at least one historic walled city or some equivalent (York is always a good bet in that department, and I'm a sucker for York Armoury) maybe a nice seaside town (Whitby is small but awesome) but other than that, why not tell us the types of thing you enjoy?

p.s. I live in Sunderland... I wouldn't advise many people to visit.

p.p.s Learn your fanny from your fanny.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
Oxford is wonderful to visit in the summer. You can get a coach or train from London. The Pitt Rivers Museum [http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/], Museum of Natural History [http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/] and The Ashmolean [http://www.ashmolean.org/]. See if you can have a tour around the colleges - Worcester College is lovely. And go punting up the Cherwell river to the pub - sink a few pints and then drift back.

London is vast and has attractions, history and expense in equal measure. I recommend the British Museum, The Tate Gallery, The National Portrait Gallery. Take a 'trip' on the London Eye - perhaps catch a show at the West End? The Tower of London is expensive - but worthwhile.

On your way North - , sample the Viking-flavoured attractions of York - the Hadrian's Wall experience - perhaps taking in Housesteads Roman Fort near Haydon Bridge. There are many castles you could look in at Warwick Castle is good (expensive) - and the aforementioned Alnwick Castle.

Edinburgh is a lovely city to visit - but in Scotland try and visit Loch Ness (beautiful) and, of course, a Whiskey Distillery.

The Isle of Wight is lovely, but small and the roads can be terribly packed. If you decide to go - then a ferry is the only way to travel. Carisbrooke Castle is a fine visit and central to the island. There are plenty of fossil walks around the coast. Osborne House [http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/osborne/] was Queen Victoria's favourite residence by all accounts and is an unforgettable visit with private beach area, gardens and royal collection.

Have a nice time.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
If you're coming down to the Isle of Wight, why not stop off in Dorset [http://www.visit-dorset.com/] on the way? We're right next to Wight and have have some of the best classic English countryside in the country here and a coastline so spectacular the UN designated it a world heritage site [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Coast]. Plus all the cider you can drink! I swear we're not all bumpkins... okay, most of us are..