Valve Appealing (or Editing) Left 4 Dead 2 for Aussies

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Appealing (or Editing) Left 4 Dead 2 for Aussies

Valve boss Gabe Newell has confirmed that the company has appealed the decision to deny Left 4 Dead 2 classification in Australia - if it doesn't work, though, there's an Aussie-friendly edited version ready to go.

As we reports Kotaku Australia. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95151-Gabe-Newell-Goes-Down-Under-Thanks-to-Internet]

"I thought Left 4 Dead 2 would get the same treatment as Left 4 Dead 1," said Newell. "So I was a little surprised [by the Review Board's decision]." It certainly isn't out of the question for the Review Board to change their minds, after all - F.E.A.R. 2 was successfully appealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88176-Australia-Gets-F-E-A-R-2-After-All] last December.

However, Newell also confirmed that Valve had prepared an edited version of L4D2, which is "fully compliant with the guidelines" for an MA15+ rating, and submitted it to the Review Board as a backup plan. "We think Left 4 Dead 2 is a lot of fun," explained Newell. "It's a game for adults. But we're aware that different countries have different restrictions, and we want to make the choices that make the game the most fun for that country."

I'm not sure an edited L4D2 is going to be the "most fun" version, but I suppose that getting to play the game at all is more fun than not playing it.

The Review Board is expected to make a decision on the edited L4D2 by the end of the day, but Newell was adamant that this was only a "Plan B" meant to ensure that the game would stick to its planned November 17th release date worldwide - the Review Board won't release a verdict on the unedited L4D2 until October 22nd. If the edited version ends up released but the appeals proves successful, the game will be updated to reflect the shiny new gore ... at least on the PC: Xbox 360 owners know that Valve is slightly less apt at updating their console games.

So one way or another, Aussies, you'll get to play L4D2 Down Under after all. Your zombies might bleed strawberry jam and your guns might shoot rainbow pellets, but you'll be playing the game anyway. That's good enough, right?

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
It's times like these I wish the government would grow the fuck up and give us an R18+ rating.

It's almost like gamers either die or get magical brain transplants when they hit drinking age. Legal drinking age anyway.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Labyrinth said:
It's almost like gamers either die or get magical brain transplants when they hit drinking age. Legal drinking age anyway.
Wait. You mean they don't? My fragile ideal of the young Aussie growing up has been shattered.

Apr 28, 2008
You forgot to mention that all the zombies would be replaced by Teletubbies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.144586?page=1]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
So they're making a kids version of an adult game... you know you can see worse in R rated movies?

Arcanz

Jun 25, 2009
I feel bad for you guys. You get to play the game though, but it's the gore and blood that makes it that more awesome. If I was living in Australia I would probably try to import the game if I had it for my Xbox, or just get someone with the other more gory version to send me their files if I had it for my PC.

Pacman_69_42

Jun 13, 2009
im not gonna pussy out with some edited version .... its things like this thats gonna drive thousands of gamers to download games so they dont get some boring kiddy version

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Amnestic said:
Wait. You mean they don't? My fragile ideal of the young Aussie growing up has been shattered.
Sorry to be the one to break it to you man, but.. I just couldn't keep quiet any more.

Jerich0

Aug 11, 2009
dear valve: thank you very much for being so wicked awesome. gabe, these are the kinds of actions that show the world that gamers are not idiotic mindless gorehounds. thank you, from all of us.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
"slightly" less apt at updating consoles? Yeah, and the sun is a "slighty" warmer than the earth...

Well they at least worked around the circumstances to even release a copy of it in Australia at all. That's a heck of a lot more than most companies would do.

Feb 13, 2008
Irridium said:
You forgot to mention that all the zombies would be replaced by Teletubbies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.144586?page=1]
Hehehe. I thought it was that the zombie warning music had to be done on the wobble board.

Do ya know what it is yet? :)

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
I'm still surprised those retardes running the Australian government that have this out of date view about video games and censorship are still in office, i thought the village people would have run them off with pitchforks and torches, chanting, "burn the heathens, burn the monsters."

Joking aside, the fact that Gabe did this is a testament to how much he cares about his customers, but the fact that he had to do it at all is a teatament to the retardation of australian government.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Ah poor ikle oz...

Soon after release I bet there will be some clever person who just sticks all the blood and guts back into the game. Using the almighty power of mods!

WildManBill

Sep 26, 2009
How in the world do they expect to make a free for all zombie killfest less bloody and more child friendly. I mean COME ON!!! HOW!?

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I blame Australia for watering down the drug use in Fallout 3. When I take some "Med-x", I wan't to see it being jabbed into my arm, dammit!

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
WildManBill said:
How in the world do they expect to make a free for all zombie killfest less bloody and more child friendly. I mean COME ON!!! HOW!?
I could see them removing the blood and making it so you can't shoot limbs off for starters, censoring any foul language... the list goes on and on. You may get to play the game in Aussie land, but that isn't much of a victory because I fear that L4D2 won't be L4D2 when it's released.

hansari

May 31, 2009
So in Australia...when you watch stuff like The Sopranos...is this what you see?

Of course...that is a parody...but this might actually be "quality" Australian television...