Valve Appealing (or Editing) Left 4 Dead 2 for Aussies

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Yeah, a ton of Aussie gamers that I talk to are pissed off about the decision, but say they'd rather play the edited version then none at all.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Well at least it's Escapist Editors stealng my thunder now. I want everyone to know that I broke the news here first. I'ma go eat some worms...

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
I remember in an old anime I once watched (back in the days where anime wasn't a sin). One of the very violent story endings included a guy getting stabbed and cut up, and another girl getting stabbed. There was a lot of blood. Because of a recent murder in Japan, they changed all the blood to black to appease the censors.

I tell ya, the effect of the story wasn't lessened. You can make blood pink and we'll all still know it's blood.

In other words, I really don't think much is going to be accomplished by this 'edited' L4D2. Silly Aussies. :(

Zombie Izzard

Jul 1, 2009
AstorSapolsky said:
I can't say anything on behalf of the Australians, and maybe Valve is just trying to squeeze some money from them, but it's good to see Valve fighting for its products, even if it means loading your gun full of crayons (cookie for the reference).
Guessing Red vs Blue?

Madcat_87

Mar 20, 2009
hansari said:
So in Australia...when you watch stuff like The Sopranos...is this what you see?

Of course...that is a parody...but this might actually be "quality" Australian television...
If you haven't already check out a TV series called Underbelly, an Australian made series based on gangland killings that happened just a few years ago and were actually still on trial at the time of the series airing.

It's amazing how much of a hypocrite this country is.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
If the edited version ends up released but the appeals proves successful, the game will be updated to reflect the shiny new gore ... at least on the PC: Xbox 360 owners know that Valve is slightly less apt at updating their console games.
That's a little unfair. You and I both know that it isn't Valve who's less apt at updating the console versions, it's Microsoft's money-grubbing insistence that patches have a price tag that makes it less apt to happen. The probably should have read "Xbox 360 owners know that Valve hates jumping through Microsoft's hoops in order to get a free patch out".

If we're gonna point fingers, let's make sure we're pointing them at the right company.

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
Gawd, I agree that we should have an R18 rating, but...

I'm not 18 yet, so I'd need to get other people to buy the games for me, which is annoying.

Nevar18

Sep 4, 2009
hansari said:
So in Australia...when you watch stuff like The Sopranos...is this what you see?

Of course...that is a parody...but this might actually be "quality" Australian television...
dude, look for agro's cartoon connection on youtube (just type agro) this was a children's Saturday morning cartoon presenter in the 80's/90's... in fact, everyone look for it, it's ffffing hilarious!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Furburt said:
Ah, green blood all over again.
Ever played Alien Hominid? You turned the gore off and the bad guys bled flowers. Somehow, I want my zombies to bleed flowers, it would just be more sadistic!

Glefistus said:
I am always perplexed by the fact that the rational adults of Australia haven't violently ousted the government. Oh, right, rational adults in Australia? Bahahahah!(outside gamers of course)

Germany and Australia are interchangable.
Not quite, I think that only South Australians can vote out the guy who is most out-spoken about the issue. There are rational, non-gaming people. They're just drowned out by the sensationalised screams the the non-rational crazies. Gotta remember, we ARE a prison country...

I think Gabe mentioned something about if we couldn't get it, they'd just patch it or something. I don't think that the patches go through the board. 'Cause that would just be awesome! "Don't wanna give them the normal version? *patch* Fuck yooooou"

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Gah.

I can't believe what I'm hearing these days. I moved from Australia to England (Ironic right?)...

Between this refusing to go away. (why can one person block common sense? R18+ exists for every other entertainment medium in the country. Why not games)

And the idiotic and frightening attempt to censor the internet...

It's strange to think a country where swearing can almost be considered a national hobby by some groups, and has some incredibly violent and gory films all of it's own (not to mention a tendency towards incredibly crude humour...) can somehow still do things like this.

Hell. Ever watch parliament question time in Australia? It's less like watching a political debate and more like watching an insult flinging contest...

It's truly bizarre.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Labyrinth said:
It's times like these I wish the government would grow the fuck up and give us an R18+ rating.

It's almost like gamers either die or get magical brain transplants when they hit drinking age. Legal drinking age anyway.
Do note that the Australians do not check DLC, so they could release a free "patch" to get all the good stuff back in.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Furburt said:
Ah, green blood all over again.
I'm willing to bet money they actually have made the blood green. Or maybe the guns don't bang when you shoot them, maybe it's just an actual recording of Gabe going 'BANG'.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
But if they do make it into Austrialia...
Well, isn't this precisely what mods are for?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Glefistus said:
oppp7 said:
Wow, I think Valve just replaced Blizzard on my list of companies that care the most about their gamers.
Blizzard is owned by Activision.
Blizzard is autonomous from Activision.
Furthermore, they're owned by Vivendi. Both of them. Activision doesn't 'own' Blizzard, it was a merger, not an acquisition in the sense of either Blizz or Activision owning the other.

Superior Mind said:
Well at least it's Escapist Editors stealng my thunder now. I want everyone to know that I broke the news here first. I'ma go eat some worms...
Since the News Room is all official like, they get special rules on posting news which other forumers post first elsewhere.

owyndevaldeck

Aug 17, 2009
so does that mean they are leaving melee weapons in the game? i thought that was one of the bastards major beefs with it...

still, yay! i may get to play L4D2 after all :)

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Amnestic said:
Superior Mind said:
Since the News Room is all official like, they get special rules on posting news which other forumers post first elsewhere.
Oh I know. I'd just like it to be on the record that I claim credit for everything ever. No exceptions.