Valve Counters EA's Shots at Steam

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
'm with Valve, I hate spending money and normally play games a couple of years behind the loop to save money, but I've both bought more games through Valve and been convinced to spend more in general than I would, through sales and the habit of buying games and with some series I've paid the higher price and bought them more new anyway through brand loyalty etc.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The one reason EA's idea never held water is simply that games depreciate in value over time, regardless of the use of sales. But I have on more than one occasions bought a game on sale that I had forgotten had even existed.

Ympulse said:
Eric the Orange said:
EA: Kicking puppies is bad
Valve: We like kicking puppies
The Public: Valve has a point
My opinion on this as well. EA's people are correct in a vast majority of their statements, but hating EA is cool.

Valve, on the other hand, can sodomize your mother, and the gaming public would give them money for it.
I guess irrational hate goes both ways. I know of very few issues with Valve that I have ever had. But EA does make a habit of making blanket statements about things that are not correct. Or at least giving their opinions and then acting as if they are fact. All of the hate towards EA is mostly irrational though.

The main difference is that Valve goes out of it's way to earn customer good will, while EA says fuck off to it's customers who aren't falling in line. Both companies have their ups and downs though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Valve and their successful business rebuts claims by EA.
It's the obvious countering the obvious.

There isn't really anything new to comment on here, because EA's actions already betrayed their claims. I can only hope that their flip-flopping nature is their mindless thrashing about trying to get some sort of traction as they continue to slide further downward..

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Valve is making a shitload of money
the end

and I still want EA to just bomb

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
EA

"WHY CAN'T I HAVE CALL OF DUTY?!"

"WHY CAN'T I HAVE STEAM???!!"

"WHY CAN'T I HAVE WOW??!"

ITS NOT FAAAAAAIIIRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
"We will never have sales below 75%." Okay, if EA wants to improve their image, maybe they should make sure that none of their higher ups can even talk to the media.

Sep 13, 2009
Ympulse said:
Eric the Orange said:
EA: Kicking puppies is bad
Valve: We like kicking puppies
The Public: Valve has a point
My opinion on this as well. EA's people are correct in a vast majority of their statements, but hating EA is cool.

Valve, on the other hand, can sodomize your mother, and the gaming public would give them money for it.
Valve DID sodomize my mother and I still think they're pretty great.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
keep up the good work valve. you proof to me every time that my money is spend wisely on you guys :D

?A, i think you are really proud to be called the worst company of america. i think you would be even prouder to be called the worst company in the world.

no wonder they are hated by the community. just read the forum in the BF3 premium thread and you see how many people are pissed about ?A milking everyone dry. ?A asking for another 50$ for up coming DLC no one knows how they will be or if they will even work.
i still enjoy BF3 though.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Article in a nutshell:

Valve: "STFU EA."

Good to see Valve firing back, even though none of us really bought EA's nonsense regarding sales anyway.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Ea tries to Inflate demand through high budget trip AAA'a and marketing that tells you these are the best games so you have to own them , then leverage it all back in high retail prices dlc passes clubs and whatever

Valve take the other method of raising the amount of your budget you want to spend on games by increasing the utility per currency unit return.

Honestly i think even valve have been surprised just how well it works.

i just cant believe the stupidity of EA , look at dead space 3. its an ok franchise thats being turned into a triple A , EA have said they need to sell 5 million copies for it to be viable so they are "widening its appeal" the obvious flaw in that doesnt even need pointing out its like watching a train derail and not being able to look away,

SayHelloToMrBullet

Sep 6, 2011
"As for the increase in pre-orders and early sales, Holtman theorized that gamers who buy games on sale will fall in love with titles they would never have otherwise played, then eagerly purchase the next title in that franchise or from that developer."

This is very true for me. Had the original Stalker not been lowered to $2 during the summer steam sale, I would've never bought it, Clear Sky, or Call of Pripyat.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
The shit EA says was hardly newsworthy to begin with and has now turned into absolutely idiotic announcements. The only thing newsworthy when it comes to EA is shit like this - the smart and true retorts from companies the gaming community doesn't hate.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
EA's marketing tactic - Insult the competition

GENIUS!!!

Really, I'm seeing them do this all the time. Why make money based on your own merits when you can just point a finger at the more successful guy in front of you.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
larew2012 said:
Origin may have "11 million users", but how many actually signed up for it as opposed to just having their EA accounts "upgraded". I imagine I am amongst the quoted 11 million, despite never installing it or having any intention if using it.
already having an account with bioware makes you have automatically an account with ?A. origin on your pc or not, you still can use your account on any ?A related sites.
i personally dint want origin of course, but i just love mass effect to much that i just gave in because i wanted to see how it ends and therefor installed origin. which led me later on to buy BF3. which i still dont regret.....yet. despite ?A trying to force people to get premium.
i have to admit, i dont have any problems with origin so far and downloads are actually faster then steam.
?A of course will never ever go down with the price on there products, which this article clearly proofs. thats actually the only bad thing i can say about it.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Metalrocks said:
larew2012 said:
Origin may have "11 million users", but how many actually signed up for it as opposed to just having their EA accounts "upgraded". I imagine I am amongst the quoted 11 million, despite never installing it or having any intention if using it.
already having an account with bioware makes you have automatically an account with ?A. origin on your pc or not, you still can use your account on any ?A related sites.
i personally dint want origin of course, but i just love mass effect to much that i just gave in because i wanted to see how it ends and therefor installed origin. which led me later on to buy BF3. which i still dont regret.....yet. despite ?A trying to force people to get premium.
i have to admit, i dont have any problems with origin so far and downloads are actually faster then steam.
?A of course will never ever go down with the price on there products, which this article clearly proofs. thats actually the only bad thing i can say about it.
Is your E button bugged or something? It looks like theres this thick line in the middle.

Clearing the Eye said:
Oh it's still cool to pretend you hate EA in this forum? Neat.
Judging by the crashing sales of EA and winning worst company of the year, and having every project they run out the door bomb. . . I dont think its pretend-dislike as much as just dislike. That being said, you are welcome to be really smug and pretend your smugnes is better than the smugness you accuse others of.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
i dunno, when i hear "we shall not be like the others, we shall not lower our prices!".... well.... it just makes me want to do business with "the others"......
also, EA, so you know - they dont know what they are doing...... dont make fun of them, they are just mere children among elders......

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Nikolaz72 said:
Metalrocks said:
Is your E button bugged or something? It looks like theres this thick line in the middle.
The joke being that it's the symbol for a Euro. Like when Activision were still the most greedy and evil company in most people's perception everyone would spell it as "Activi$ion".

OT: I'm not surprised Valve are defending something that people love them for. I am surprised that they decided to even try and talk to EA, though I guess they actually do want to help - competition is good, I hear, but competition that just sucks doesn't get anyone anywhere. And no, having a more reliable offline mode does not on its own make Origin better than Steam. That's pretty much the only point I ever hear in its favour.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Seriously, needs to invest into a smarter PR management, someone like me.
I'm cheap (200k a year should be enough) but still very good. My first suggestion would be to forbid anyone from EA to talk into a microphone or otherwise answer questions.
Win, love and pussy for everyone around.