Valve Delivers Blizzard-esque Dota 2 Trailer

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
My hearing isn't so good - but in the trailer, one of the characters says something like "would you be wise, then come closer and I would unlock your... income?" Am I hearing that correctly?

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Korolev said:
My hearing isn't so good - but in the trailer, one of the characters says something like "would you be wise, then come closer and I would unlock your... income?" Am I hearing that correctly?
I believe he said "inner cunning" there.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Is it just called Dota 2? Like nothing else? Not Defence of the Ancients 2, but Dota 2.
Yup. Which is at least half of why I find this whole thing very, very funny.

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
Meh. The amount of stuff that they're taking directly from blizzard's games is rather disheartening.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Slick Samurai said:
If it plays as much as it looks like HoN then it will be the inferior MOBA to LoL. LoL actually improved on the MOBA formula instead of cloning it.
I recently downloaded HoN, it's a direct clone of WC3 Dota. They even borrowed the 2003 graphics. Most of the strategy comes down to push every button your champ has the fastest to win as the abilities do a lot of dmg.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Blank Kold said:
Meh. The amount of stuff that they're taking directly from blizzard's games is rather disheartening.
Are you aware of the fact that Dota originally started as a modification for a Blizzard game?

Also, I know it won't happen, but could people please stop claiming that either LoL, HoN, or Dota are better than the others?

Earnest Cavalli said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Is it just called Dota 2? Like nothing else? Not Defence of the Ancients 2, but Dota 2.
Yup. Which is at least half of why I find this whole thing very, very funny.
Well, supposedly Riot copyrighted Defense of the Ancients, preventing Valve from using the name, despite the fact that Riot is no longer affiliated with Dota.

It was purely a move made to deny Valve the title Defense of the Ancients, forcing them to say Dota2.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
So, I can either play the original, and most likely superior, DotA or I can play Valve's pathetic ripoff that they stole and are trying to profit of at the expense of hard work by other people?

Yeah, I'm going to go with the original Warcraft III version, thank you very much. Plus, the Warcraft III community is most likely more mature than the typical people you see playing Valve games.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
ZiggyE said:
So, I can either play the original, and most likely superior, DotA or I can play Valve's pathetic ripoff that they stole and are trying to profit of at the expense of hard work by other people?

Yeah, I'm going to go with the original Warcraft III version, thank you very much. Plus, the Warcraft III version is most likely more mature than the typical people you see playing Valve games.
Are you aware that Icefrog, currently the man maintaining Warcraft 3 Dota, is the head developer for Dota 2 after Valve hired him, and that Valve is very well known for hiring mod developers? And not only that, but that Icefrog says he will continue to update WC3 Dota (at least for a little while), even after Dota 2 launches?

Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress, and Alien Swarm were all started as modifications for existing games, but turned into individual games after the makers were hired by Valve.

Not to insult you, but it seems to me you hadn't done research.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ZiggyE said:

Yeah, I'm going to go with the original Warcraft III version, thank you very much. Plus, the Warcraft III community is most likely more mature than the typical people you see playing Valve games.
If I understand correctly, Valve hired the guy who made the original. So arguments about quality are debatable.

And where are you getting the idea that people who play Valve games are more childish? From personal experience, Valve players seem a lot more forgiving of new players than Blizzard gamers.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:

Yeah, I'm going to go with the original Warcraft III version, thank you very much. Plus, the Warcraft III version is most likely more mature than the typical people you see playing Valve games.
Are you aware that Icefrog, currently the man maintaining Warcraft 3 Dota, is the head developer for Dota 2 after Valve hired him, and that Valve is very well known for hiring mod developers?
I'm well aware of that. Are you aware that the people who made DotA, Eul and Guinsoo, have openly attacked DotA 2 saying charging for a game mod that they came up with is bad and that Icefrog had nothing to do with the creation of DotA and only came into the fray a whole two years after DotA had been around.

Not to insult YOU, but you seem like a blind Valve fan who fails to see that DotA was never charged for and never copyrighted because the creators and community felt that it would be wrong to charge for it and didn't copyright it so people could make their own fan versions of DotA, such as the famous Naruto DotA mod (a mod for a mod, funny huh) and Valve took advantage over that so they could make a quick buck by coming along, stealing the idea and charging for it. It's an absolutely disgusting and abhorrent move and one that should be condemned. Also, Valve should be boycotted for making this game, not praised for it.

Yes, I'M REALLY MAD about this whole situation. And I'm not even a big Blizzard fan (but I do love my DotA).

Edit: And the fact they trademarked 'DotA' makes it all the worse, stealing a vital community project that belongs to a community and making it their own simply because nobody trademarked it before because they felt the project belonged to the community.

Soviet Heavy said:
ZiggyE said:

If I understand correctly, Valve hired the guy who made the original. So arguments about quality are debatable.
Nope, the creators have openly spoken against it.

And where are you getting the idea that people who play Valve games are more childish? From personal experience, Valve players seem a lot more forgiving of new players than Blizzard gamers.
I find the Warcraft III community to be nice and more helpful than the sort of people who play TF2 and CS: Source.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Do I buy this or do I stay loyal to a playerbase that I've been part of for a lot of years now? I think I'll stick with Warcraft 3.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Alar said:
Riot Games, no doubt, finds this ridiculous.
Well compared to their trailer of LoL, DoTA2's trailer looks slow and I'm getting a crazy Ashe vibe from the archer.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:

Are you aware that Icefrog, currently the man maintaining Warcraft 3 Dota, is the head developer for Dota 2 after Valve hired him, and that Valve is very well known for hiring mod developers?
I'm well aware of that. Are you aware that the people who made DotA, Eul and Guinsoo, have openly attacked DotA 2 saying charging for a game mod that they came up with is bad and that Icefrog had nothing to do with the creation of DotA and only came into the fray a whole two years after DotA had been around.

Not to insult YOU, but you seem like a blind Valve fan who fails to see that DotA was never charged for and never copyrighted because the creators and community felt that it would be wrong to charge for it and didn't copyright it so people could make their own fan versions of DotA, such as the famous Naruto DotA mod (a mod for a mod, funny huh) and Valve took advantage over that so they could make a quick buck by coming along, stealing the idea and charging for it. It's an absolutely disgusting and abhorrent move and one that should be condemned. Also, Valve should be boycotted for making this game, not praised for it.

Yes, I'M REALLY MAD about this whole situation. And I'm not even a big Blizzard fan (but I do love my DotA).
My apologies for invoking your ire. But you see, gaming is (at its heart), an industry. And if it is profitable for a company, such as Valve, to capitalize on a fan made mod that proved to be very popular competitively around the world, then why shouldn't they?

Guinsoo and Eul, as integral as they were to Dota's life (what with creating it and all), have moved on. Yes, they have their reservations on Dota 2, but the fact of the matter is that they are no longer involved. As heinous as anyone thinks Valve is for hiring Icefrog, remember that Guinsoo and Eul left it in Icefrog's hands. Believe me, I too am somewhat taken aback by the decision to charge for what was once a community game. It is unfortunate, but people must forgive and carry on.

In the end, I loved the gameplay of Dota so much, that I embrace the idea of paying money to continue it. A new engine, with new aesthetic design, still headed by Icefrog who has kept Dota afloat, is definitely worth paying for in my mind.

And I am sorry that you are angry about the situation.

Genixma said:
Alar said:
Riot Games, no doubt, finds this ridiculous.
Well compared to their trailer of LoL, DoTA2's trailer looks slow and I'm getting a crazy Ashe vibe from the archer.
Just keep in mind that Ashe is based off of Traxex from Dota.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:
Twilight.falls said:
ZiggyE said:

My apologies for invoking your ire. But you see, gaming is (at its heart), an industry. And if it is profitable for a company, such as Valve, to capitalize on a fan made mod that proved to be very popular competitively around the world, then why shouldn't they?
I dunno, because of the "We are gamers too" marketing scheme they have going on? It'd be a NICE thing to do for the gaming community. By comparison, stealing an idea and charging for it seems disgusting and immoral?

I don't see Atlas, EA Games, hell, we don't even see Activision doing this kind of scummy, evil thing and I have very little faith in the future of gaming where this thing is not only acceptable, it's ENCOURAGED. And quite frankly, I'm disgusted in the gaming community for not making a bigger outroar about this. Valve are STEALING from the community, changing the IP, giving it a new engine and a makeover and charging full price for it. It's horrible. I have a lot of respect for Blizzard, who for seven years, could have done the exact same thing and didn't.

Valve hardly seem like gamers if they're going to steal from gamers in such a way. I am one gamer, at least, who still has morals and one gamer who Valve won't be seeing money from ever again.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
Blank Kold said:
Are you aware of the fact that Dota originally started as a modification for a Blizzard game?
Are you aware... Take a look at some the concept art, and the character design. Hell, look at this video. They've got PANDAREN in there.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i find it odd that the game is simply being called DOTA as if it isnt even an abbreviation anymore. not once have i heard it referred to as "Defense of the Ancients 2". although that takes a lot longer to say, not everyone knows wtf DOTA stands for.