Valve Delivers Blizzard-esque Dota 2 Trailer

sobaka770

Jun 20, 2008
I'm sorry, but I cannot see how is this trailer comes even close to the Blizzard quality of movies. This kind of trailer is on par maybe with those they did for WC3, but the new ones for WoW expansions and especially SC2 are not to be compared to this soulless mess of a movie.

The narrator is not bad, but the attention to detail is nil and what happened with the color palette? It looks much too bleak!

Anyway, that's for the trailer, the game is yet to see!

eximista

Aug 7, 2011
sweet - france and denmark are not part of europe anymore.

GGnet - Europe
OK.Nircana.int - Europe
Virus - France
MYM - Denmark
nevo - Denmark

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
FeralDynasty said:
I understood that all perfectly. But i've been playing LoL for over a year now. What are lanes, pushing for what, what is a build, what is an ace, you described it all very well but only for people who have played a MOBA before and the person asking had never played one. -2 stars for helpfulness.
It was only partially an attempt to be helpful.

It was also partially a self-demonstrating article describing the community's openness to new players.

Judging by your response, I do believe I succeeded. :D

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
This trailer didn't look all that exciting. There was no impact. The archer's arrows just sort of... bleh. Didn't seem like they should be killing creeps. the fight between the melee in the middle of the trailer was... It reminded me of Neverwinter Nights' opening fight between Neverwinter and the Minotaur, but without the oomph. And the spellcasting just lacked... spark. I liked Valve's meet the team videos (hehe, outsmart a bullet) but this one was missing something.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Hear Ye, Hear Ye. In the year 2010, the Church of Dota did Schism, and from the ashes of this once single body rose 4 incredibly similar Sects:

The Sect of Hero's, who did say that HoN is the holy word and greatest of the works of the Church.

The Sect of Legends, who did say that LoL is the best of all things, and the one chosen by God.

The Reformed Church of the Ancients, who follow the great Gaben, and think that he is the one messiah and his Dota2 is his Gospel

The Traditional Church of the Ancients, who still hold the wise old ways of the original Dota, and will not speak of the heresy of its derivatives.

And each member of each church, whilst they Lane, farm, jungle/creep, buy and upgrade items, while taking down towers and waves of minions, all claim their version of the Church is correct and better, and distinct.

Go forth in the name of your religion... go forth and defeat the opposing stronghold.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Shjade said:
FeralDynasty said:
I understood that all perfectly. But i've been playing LoL for over a year now. What are lanes, pushing for what, what is a build, what is an ace, you described it all very well but only for people who have played a MOBA before and the person asking had never played one. -2 stars for helpfulness.
It was only partially an attempt to be helpful.

It was also partially a self-demonstrating article describing the community's openness to new players.

Judging by your response, I do believe I succeeded. :D
E-cookie for you. I hope no players transfer over. Course, if I start playing, I'd automatically prove myself wrong and crash mentally.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Nouw said:
Vigormortis said:
Nouw said:
fi6eka said:
Nouw said:
Food for Thought:Blizzard fanboys don't feel so good now that their game is being 'copied' do they?
[sub]Yeah I went there.[/sub]
True, true.But you have to wonder how do Dune or Laserburn fans used to feel when GW ripped their space opera off :):):).
Oh I know exactly how they feel and worse. I'm a fan of Starship Troopers, one of the most criminally under-referenced source of military science fiction right next to Lensman.
I wouldn't say that. Halo is an almost blatant copy/rip-off of Starship Troopers. Right down to the armor they wear, the weapons they use, the way they fight their battles (i.e. pelicans, orbital drop pods, etc), even the Covenant. The "bugs" the space marines fight in Starship Troopers (the book) are very much like the Covenant. Collection of bipedal, insect like beings with hyper-advanced technology.

[sorry for double post.]
I personally wouldn't say that. First off, Mobile Infantrymen 'wear' mech-like suits and aren't modified to be a 'super human.' Also, the MI only use drop-ships for retrieval, not for deployment. The arachnids are more caste-like whereas the Covenant is like a softer Imperium of man.

But yeah, I do see similarities. If you have 'Space Marine' you have some kind of inspiration from the book.
Well, maybe. I still say there's far more in common between the two stories than there is disparate. But, I guess it isn't really a "blatant ripoff".

Though, I have to say, reading the novel there was as particular scene wherein the space marines were assaulting a bug front line. As I read it, I came to realize that everything I was reading reminded me almost exactly of the scene in Halo: CE called The Silent Cartographer wherein several pelicans fly in towards a beach and drop off the player and the marine squads. Just the way both scenes played out seemed just too similar.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Find I find it really amusing that most of the characters in that trailer look almost exactly like their Blizzard roots in the original DotA. Not arguing either way about the game itself, but all that archer was lacking was the long Night Elf ears to basically BE the Night Elf archer from the original. She even had the huge balls at the end of each side of her bow. :p And then the chaos Orc character.

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
1. The original dota is created
2. The Frozen Throne is released, original creator tries to make dota 2
3. Dota 2 fails and theres a thousand regular dota copies made, original creator leaves WC3 modding
4. Several mods fight each other for victory, eventually dota allstars gets popular
5. Creator of allstars hands ownership to someone else
6. Creator of allstars sometime later gets hired by riot
7. The new guy gets hired by VALVe
8. Original creator gets no credit whatsoever
9. Dota 2 gets released and VALVe earns millions of dollars.

Thats pretty much what happened/will happen I believe.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Not at all what I would expect from a cinematic for it to be compared to Blizzard. Blizzard created the Wrathgate [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNHq-jJswuE] cinematic using largely the resources available to anyone playing the game and with a but of voice acting, and I think it was vastly superior to this.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
masterbazza said:
what a hero truly need is courage
and that is something that cannot buy
What a hero truly needs is less lag. And some proper commentators.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
masterbazza said:
what a hero truly need is courage
and that is something that cannot buy
5v1 me? Noob, you need team mates to help you, lol. Come 1v1 me ***** I RAEP u.

Sorry, don't know what came over me there :S

Well trailer didn't impress me too much for some reason, honestly feel lol season trailer is better.

At this stage it's gonna have to be something special to get me to switch from its competitors who have entrenched themselves in the market, but good luck to them.