Valve Outgrows Its "Episodes Phase"

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
CopperBoom said:
Toasty Virus said:
HA! I was right! There won't be an episode 3!
Does being right about not getting something bring you any joy?
(This is assuming you like Half Life of course.)
It's not that, I just kept telling my friends it would be Half Life 3 rather than Ep3 :D

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
So Valve will no longer be doing what it absolutely fails at. News value: 0.

One "Episode" every few years is not episodic gaming. Only one company does it right: Telltale. And then there's the serial "sequels" like the Madden content-updates... err "games", but those aren't episodic either.

Just make Half-Life 3, mmkay?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"In general, our approach to our customers is, every day, to ask what we can do for them."
(Insert obligatory Half-Life (2 Episode) 3 request here, followed by "pretty please")

I think Valve does this on purpose now. They enjoy watching us fans scramble over every announcement, hoping it will be THE one.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
HankMan said:
I'm guessing that's not the only thing Gabe Newell has outgrown
Was that a fat joke, or did it has some deeper meaning?

Hey. Long as it is not content that I hate pay to get access I am all for it.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I really can't see how you can release extra stuff later for something like Half Life, with L4D and TF2 it's a pretty simple matter, because of the way they're set up.

TF2 can have stuff added because it's dynamic, and there's not much story, for example, if your team wins in one map, it doesn't change how you're going to be doing in the next map. L4D can have extra stuff chucked in because it's episodic, and there's stuff happening between episodes you can explore with DLC.

But, with Half Life, the idea is a single experience that can be played from start to finish without being chucked back to a menu screen. If you cut it down into several episodes like L4D, then you're basically back to episodic releasing! That's the only real way to add new content that isn't just bug fixes. It's a loose-loose situation! D=

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
luvd1 said:
.... JUST GIVE US THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF HALF LIFE BLAST YOU!!!!! What ever the fek your going to call it. I don't care, just give s it!!!!
lol what if he said no?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Using the TF2 cycle? You mean that the next half life game will be out in 10 years?

Actually that is pretty quick for valve.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I just hope that they're keeping episode three under massive wraps and are going to surprise the world big time by announcing at the last minute that they're releasing it. Either that or they've forgotten about it and I'm going to jump off a bridge.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"very short development cycles."

Ha ha, that would be funny... if it weren't so sad...

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Good, I can't stand the episodic format. I'll pay for your damn game guys, just give me the whole package so I can get on with it and I'm not left waiting on them to get around to the next one. Not to mention the worst part is if a series just never gets finished for whatever reason (*insert joke here*).

Plus usually they're downloadable, I always prefer a physical retail over dlc any day.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
"We'll have to see how much our customers want us to push in that direction" is basically Valve being the mean older brother here and dangling that sweet DLC just out of your reach and telling you to jump. Yes they're going to yank it away (Valve Time), but you might be able to get it with enough effort.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Valve is over its "episodes phase" and is now focused on creating games as platforms that can be constantly updated and evolved through Steam, with very short development cycles.
Really?

REALLY??

If my memory serves me correctly, Valve's "episodes phase" was designed to shorten development and release cycles. And if my memory serves me correctly, Valve failed spectacularly at this goal. Instead, they released a handful of smaller products on the same timeline that most games publishers release full games.

And now they're moving toward even shorter development cycles? This seems to me to be like NASA announcing "After three failed moon landings, our next mission will be a landing on Jupiter."

Don't get me wrong - I believe that Valve's games (when they do come out) are some of the best around. They optimize for product quality, not for schedule, and I appreciate that greatly. But an announcement like this one sounds like BS to me...

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
ehh, makes sense enough - the ZP orange box review showed that Valve never really quite got the grasp of episodic gaming to start with. And, let's be fair, I only remember 2 AAA games trying the episodic route - Sin Episodes, which never made it past the first "show", and this HL2 one, which never got the time thing right. Also, DLC became the huge thing, so that sort of replaced the need for episodic gaming outside of the Telltale-esque adventure crowd, which actually suits the episodic thingy more.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
"Very short development cycles."

Yeah, the exact same bullshit he said when they came out with the "Episodic content". It would be nice if they'd just keep their traps shut and work on releasing games instead of blowing hot air.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
We can all say "goodbye" to episode 3. This is Valve saying "it's never gonna happen." "Ever."