Valve Reveals the Steam Controller

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This looks interesting. I want to hear more and see it in action. It might step on the toes of those Console VS PC debaters, but I think this is worth checking out, just to see how well it performs.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Strazdas said:
I dont trust those pads. when i wabnt to drive faster i press my keyboard harder (silly i know). If i did same with this, it would break apart.
False. Haptic Feedback Gen 4 (which is what this uses, I think) detects harder pushing and reacts accordingly.
so it would drive faster if i pushed it faster? well ok im sold.

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
DrOswald said:
inidu said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
An overlay is useless if my eyes are on the TV.
The overlay is on the TV, where your eyes are.

Read the fucking announcement next time.
The overlay tells you what button was pressed. After you press it. That really doesn't help things at all. You need to know what button you are going to press before you press it. That is the problem.

I mean, I don't even really agree with jeffers and I can see the terrible problem with that one.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. This new fangled feedback system that people keep bringing up can be as amazing as you like, but unless it can tell me what I'm pressing Before i press it (Which button shape does) it's a step back.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
cikame said:
I need to see the designers of the controller playing devil may cry or a fighting game using it... if that's possible.
If they ever get a SoulCalibur-like game to have attacks responding to exactly how much and at which angle you roll your thumb over the trackpad... Oh man I'm salivating.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Qvar said:
cikame said:
I need to see the designers of the controller playing devil may cry or a fighting game using it... if that's possible.
If they ever get a SoulCalibur-like game to have attacks responding to exactly how much and at which angle you roll your thumb over the trackpad... Oh man I'm salivating.
Eh.. that sort of input would work much better with something like Bushido Blade.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Gromril said:
Yeah, I was thinking that too. This new fangled feedback system that people keep bringing up can be as amazing as you like, but unless it can tell me what I'm pressing Before i press it (Which button shape does) it's a step back.
But it doesn't. It doesn't tell you after you've pressed it. I am seriously confused as to where people are getting that idea. Honestly.

What happens is: When you touch the touchscreen, a pop-up appears on screen displaying what current item/action you have selected. When you drag your finger in a direction, the selection will move to the next item; which will be displayed in the current onscreen pop-up.

Then, when you find the action/item you want, you just click the screen in. The item/action is selected for in-game use and the pop-up window goes away.

It's really simple and, if I'm honest, is a brilliant idea.