Valve Teases Steam Box With Countdown Timer

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nocturnus said:
Still seems like a one man crusade to reinvent the wheel that need not be reinvented.

In order to run the grand majority of Steam's Games (IE: Windows and MacOS), you will have to have the games installed through Steam somewhere else on the home network.

Most people who know how to get that set up, or have it set up that way, will probably just end up sticking to their current Steam Setup. Others who are just dying to have PC Games in the living room probably already have it going. Those who don't want to deal with this? Buy a Console like the PlayStation.
You horribly underestimate the drive for prettiness and convenience.

There's no room around my TV to jam my massive computer. If I decide I want to play games on my TV, why would I buy a console AND my whole library over again when I can now download a free OS with LAN streaming?

Nocturnus said:
I really wish Valve would pay attention to some things that really need paying attention to instead of these really weird projects. :( Like... how about we get a Steam Client that isn't from the Windows XP Era? Takes advantage of all the new features of Windows and MacOS? Seems like a pipe-dream at this point.
Apparently, a large chunk of users are still using XP, and they don't want to alienate them.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I hope it is:

- Steam OS
- a new Source engine
- Half-Life 3!!!

We can dream, right? Anyway I'm pretty excited about the new OS as maybe games will have better performance and we won't have to deal with Microsoft anymore.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
pilouuuu said:
I hope it is:

- Steam OS
- a new Source engine
- Half-Life 3!!!

We can dream, right? Anyway I'm pretty excited about the new OS as maybe games will have better performance and we won't have to deal with Microsoft anymore.
Source 2 as a second announcement and HL3 as third. It's logical.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Adam Jensen said:
pilouuuu said:
I hope it is:

- Steam OS
- a new Source engine
- Half-Life 3!!!

Source 2 as a second announcement and HL3 as third. It's logical.
I'm actually betting the second announcement is their concepts for the Steambox. (or whatever they're going to call it now)

The third announcement will likely be a game.

Which game is debatable. Could be Half-Life 3. Could very well be Left 4 Dead 3.

Or hell...part of me hopes it's a new IP, regardless of how much I'd love to see either of the above. Perhaps GabeN managed to get a large enough team to revive and complete Prospero [http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Prospero].

Guess we'll find out Friday.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
pilouuuu said:
I hope it is:

- Steam OS
- a new Source engine
- Half-Life 3!!!

Third one is pretty much confirmed. Valve seems fairly aware of the internet and how whenever we see the number 3 "HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED", and the announcements being over 5 days makes sense given HL3 will actually be the fifth Half life game. 3 main iterations over the course of 5 games, 3 announcements over the course of 5 days.