Valve Teases Steam Box With Countdown Timer

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
So there's three symbols on that page, a singularity, and a (Schrodinger's) cat. Half Life 3 will be announced Monday. :)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
There's also a silhouette of a cat eyeballing a controller that looks suspiciously like a sandwich. I have no idea what to make of that.
Maybe you're overthinking about it too much, it's made out of cardboard, although I kinda see the "sandwich controller".

OT: I... don't know what to think about it. Maybe it's Half-Life 3... maybe it's Steambox (my bet is on Steambox)... This won't make me sleepless, but I'm giddy to see what will Valve anounce by monday.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
It's hilarious how HL3 has become another joke of the internet. I suppose since Duke Nukem Forever came out (and sucked), we could use a similar punchline.

Anyhoo, I really hope that isn't all there is to the controller, or that there's a touchscreen in the middle. I'm just concerned how that controller would replace mouse controls. Otherwise, I'm thinking we should expect to hook up a mouse and keyboard.

If so, I envision lap desks making big sales.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Portal 3 with a special limited edition Companion Cube Steambox. My money cannot achieve enough velocity towards my screen fast enough!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Seracen said:
It's hilarious how HL3 has become another joke of the internet. I suppose since Duke Nukem Forever came out (and sucked), we could use a similar punchline.
The difference is that the joke originates with the internet. Valve has said largely nothing about HL3. Really, we were expecting Episode 3 instead for years. People secretly snap photos of Valve's computer monitors when they get into the building and draw all sorts of conclusions. Valve is hounded about it at every turn. They've told us nothing and have not spent a penny to market it.

Duke Nukem Forever, on the other hand, when it did finally drop gamestop was honoring preorders from 2001. It had release dates pushed again and again and magazine articles following it the whole way.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I for one, think it might be an announcement related to L4D3. I mean, at least there's some evidence saying that they're working on it, but damn, imagine the outcry if Gabe said "Steam Box will launch on *insert date here*, and the first game that it will be launched with is Half Life 3." Boom. Creamed pants for gamers everywhere.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Keep it mind that Newell has talked quite a bit about local streaming and it's possible that steambox is actually a streambox. Anyway, any news from valve is good news usually.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Curious. My guess is that they will be taking some kind of submissions of polls system in the near future. Or maybe starting a beta test. They seem to always try involve users somehow in the production of platforms.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Half life fan's have suffered enough. Please, please don't let us down. we neeeeed half life 3!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I knew Valve was going to be making an announcement this coming week. Gabe Newell revealed as much during the LinuxCon2013 keynote speech.

But three announcements? Guess they have more to say than I assumed.

My guess, besides something about the Steambox, would be any of the following:

- Left 4 Dead 3
- Half-Life 3
- A proprietary, customizable controller
- VR/AR input device with biometric input and feedback
- A new IP
- A new partnership with a Linux distro, as well as the launch of their new debugging and porting toolset
- New promo-hats for TF2

Of these, I'm thinking it's most likel.....oh, who am I kidding? It'll be the hats.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
THAT CAT HAS THREE WHISKERS! O__O

I wonder if it really is a Steambox announcement. It would be cool if it does use a Linux kernel.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Valve intends to break the internet. Steam Box, Portal 3, Half Life 3. In that order.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zeckt said:
Half life fan's have suffered enough. Please, please don't let us down. we neeeeed half life 3!
You'd suffer less if you stopped assuming it was coming every six weeks.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
SEE? Valve can count to 3! They're counting to 3 and counting to 3 all over the place and look how they count to 3. Lets see...

3 "C"s, Cardboard Cat looking at a Controller. Cat has 3 whiskers on one side. The controller has 3 buttons. And 3 announcements in 3 days.

HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

:p Although for once that might actually end up being true.

Jokes aside, I'm guessing it'll Steam box and probably one/several of their "3" sequels as launch titles? There's quite a few possibilities..

Half-Life 3/Episode 3
Portal 3
Left 4 Dead 3
Team Fortress 3

Hmm...which one...