Valve: There Is No Half-Life 3

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Lets face it everyone, there is not going to be another Half-Life game. It has now become VALVe's Duke Nukem. It pains me to say this, since I used to be a huge Half-Life fan, but after this many years only having a couple of concept images and some ideas from 2007, I really don't think this game is going to happen.

Also, let's not forget what John Patrick Lowrie (who voices the rebels in the Half-Life 2 games) said: "Ellen McLain [his wife] and I haven?t heard anything about a new Half Life episode. Wish I had better news for you. I would love to do another episode."

So yeah, after this long, I'm calling it dead and/or irrelevant.

RIP Half-Life 2: Episode Three

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
tehweave said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sigh. I really hope HL3 doesn't go the way of Duke. After all this build up now I really doubt it can live up to my hopes.
Already has. I stopped caring after HL2 EP2 came out. Valve is making so much money with TF2 and Steam, that people need to realize that we'll probably never see another Half life game ever again. Want half life 3? Mod it! Make it yourself! We do have Gmod and the ability to make our own levels! Why hasn't someone made a fan-made HL3 mod yet?
Someone actually made a miniature Half-Life 2: Episode Three mod for Episode Two. It was several levels long and had you enter the Borealis and set off a bomb to blow it up. Not very well made, but it was nice enough. Certainly more than VALVe had done.

Here's a video of the first part.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
jakeperson44 said:
Dont you know that valve cant count to 3
Considering that the company is already planning the voice work for Half Life 4, which is set to be released in 2014 I think, that might actually be the case!

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
That is a really really misleading headline Escapist, come on, you're better than that.

As for the announcement - yeah it was pretty obvious that it was all from starved fans who wanted something to get excited about. Valve have been pretty poor towards their fans with this with a 100% close-down on any information whatsoever and it's been quite a long time now. People are losing interest and to be honest I think they're going to just abandon the thing as vaporware, put unrealistic expectations on it and ultimately be disappointed when it doesn't live up to the idealisation.

Gah what am I kidding, it's Valve, I'm sure it'll be a matter of "all is forgiven" when the first official teaser or whatever is released.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
TLS14 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sigh. I really hope HL3 doesn't go the way of Duke.
I hope you aren't hinting that HL3 will go the way of Duke as in "vaporware and shit" rather than just "vaporware".
You leave your game sitting on the cooler for half a decade and see how good it is.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
rapidoud said:
TLS14 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sigh. I really hope HL3 doesn't go the way of Duke.
I hope you aren't hinting that HL3 will go the way of Duke as in "vaporware and shit" rather than just "vaporware".
You leave your game sitting on the cooler for half a decade and see how good it is.
That's a good point, but the problem with that is Duke was still worked on over that 14 years. It was passed from dev to dev, yes, but nonetheless, each dev was still doing something to further the development of the game.

Besides, it was 6 years between the release of HL1 and HL2, so half a decade isn't really anything to fret about. It's a long time by today's standards because of all the 1 or 2 year development times for various games and their sequels being put out these days. That's just my opinion anyways; I really don't think this much time will kill Half-Life's quality, but I could be wrong.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
AvauntVanguard said:
Screw HL3. I want Episode 3.
Well, the blurb on HL2:E2's Steam store page says that it's "the second in a trilogy of new games created by Valve that extends the award-winning and best-selling Half-Life adventure". Technically, that means that any new entry in the series will be made. Whether it's an "Episode" or just "Half-Life 3" (with a new engine, considering how long it took), the blurb states that Half-Life will continue.

Or you could not believe it and be shocked once/if the ARG truly comes out.

LunaSocks

Dec 27, 2010
You know, I like how I mentioned all of this possible ARG crap about a month ago, and NOW we're making a big deal out of it when it's on the front page.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Dunkerloop said:
I think it'll just end up a full sequel instead of an episode, at this rate.
Er. Yes. They have stated so themselves. [http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=valve%20is%20done%20with%20episodic%20releases%20escapis&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.escapistmagazine.com%2Fforums%2Fread%2F7.282758-Valve-Outgrows-Its-Episodes-Phase&ei=A2oAT9_RHI3P4QTM4YXtAw&usg=AFQjCNFiIefakmn1wKATLxIoYmTkIDjvxg&cad=rja]

OT: No ARG != No HL3. Or, if you're one of the nutters that actually follows this train of thought, this is part of the ARG as well. No offense to said nutters.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
[quote="The Valet" post="7.336314.13590093OT; I hate to say "I told you so," but...oh, fuck it. Told you all it aint coming out. Its just another vaporware title. I find it amusing to see the people who hold Gabe Newell as the Jesus Christ of modern gaming desperately clutch at smoke for more updates when the trust is very obvious; the game is NOT COMING OUT, because Valve are making way too much off TF2 and Steam to give a shit about their complaints.
.[/quote]

Gabe Newell was quoted this year as saying 'Of course we're still making it' and then asking people to be patient. So it it is being made. Sorry can't remember the source (it was on here as a news item though)

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
I don't care how long it takes for the game to come out, I will still be happy even if it's just as big as one of the episodes.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Valve... Is no longer cool.

Wait, it wasn't cool before I said that. They've been uncool ever since they announced hl3 wouldn't come out just yet.

atomicmrpelly

Apr 23, 2009
Those "clues" are weak sauce, whoever thought they were genuinely hints at at new HL game is an idiot.

I mean "5+7=12 and the dates of the next E3 are 6/5/12 and 6/7/12" WTF?! That's retarded!

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Veloxe said:
If we add up the numbers in the E3 dates (6/5/12 and 6/7/12) 6+5+12=23. 2+3=5. 6+7+12=25. 2+5=7. 5+7=12. 1+2=3!! Clearly it can only mean one thing! That if you look for patterns in random data you can probably find it even if it isn't really there.

Kinda sad they came out and said everything wasn't connected. I always like watching how deep people go with ARGs. Especially when they are apparently making it all up by themselves. Although this probably won't stop them from trying.
The numbers and constellations could be entirely fake, but there ARE head crabs in that video.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
atomicmrpelly said:
Those "clues" are weak sauce, whoever thought they were genuinely hints at at new HL game is an idiot.

I mean "5+7=12 and the dates of the next E3 are 6/5/12 and 6/7/12" WTF?! That's retarded!
Watch the video.
Wait for one of the random red flashes on the screen.
Pause it.
It is a head crab.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Wheatley's speech was set in Portal 2 fiction - that is all
But Valve originally intented for HL and Portal to exist in the same universe. They dropped the idea about the same time Portal 2 came out.