Valve Tightens Its Early Access Rules

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
If they can enforce these guidelines it'll be a step in the right direction. The question is, will they monitor all the Early Access titles themselves, or will they delegate it to the community (as usual)?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, it's a pretty mixed bucket IMO. It's nice to see they are tightening the rules, but the only ones that actually mean anything is the need to not sell games as they are now and a product must be playable. Developers can always start their own funds drive. I do like that they say development must be able to continue with little or no sales. That makes sense. No one should be betting on doing well on Steam to fund their game, that is some bullshit.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Aye, there's a few games that LOOK good but I tend to visit the user reviews and end up seeing a bunch of down arrows with things like "Man there's nothing to DO" and "Do not waste 30$ on this".

Silvershock

Jul 12, 2013
Metadigital said:
Oh, is Steam reacting to the fact that only 25% of early access games have ever seen full release?
Wow, that's even lower than I expected. Do you have sauce for those stats?

I have a general policy against buying into early access or pre-ordering. I've been burned most times. My only real exceptions were Star Citizen, which is clearly producing content, and Prison Architect, which is by Introversion and can't enter my library quickly enough.

Now the Mordheim game has gone early access. My initial instinct is "buy buy buy", especially as the first playable race is Skaven (rat furry likes his rats), but it's from Games Sodding Workshop. Why the hell does it need to be early access?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
BigTuk said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Do not ask your customers to bet on the future of your game.
Isn't that more or less contrary to, well....everything? I mean, Steam even advertises these games by saying you can follow their development and such.
i think they meant

"your game must already be worth money"

personally, i think its not enough, guaranteed refunds would truthly force devs to work on their games, theyll think twice before abandoning development
And where'd the refunds come from after the devs have already spent hmm?
The problem with EA has always been the consumer not so much the dev. I mean ... seriously How hard is it to you know.. not spend money and wait for the actual release.

This is just Steam doing their best to prevent idjits with too much time, and money( and not enough braincells) from themselves.

The concept of a a EA is admirable gbut really what you've got is a Kickstarter.. you're not paying to get the game a month or two before everyone else... no you're making a donation. The reward of which is instant access to the incomplete game and the complete game when it's finished.

If those terms do not agree with you... then 'wait'.
make the customer entitles to a refund 1 week after purchasing an early access game

that way devs would truthly be forced to work on their game

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
I have always wondered why there was not a "trial period" for EA games.

Simply put, you get to try the game out for 7 days no cost. If you like it, then you can pay in at the end of the seven day stretch and maintain EA access.

Steam already gives 1-2 week trials of games they are trying to push, how difficult would it be to convert this program over into the EA side is the real question.

I believe this would solve a fair amount of the "scam" issues. That being said, it does nothing to address long term failures in development cycles, or "over promise/under deliver" situations that plague the EA pool.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
BigTuk said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
BigTuk said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Do not ask your customers to bet on the future of your game.
Isn't that more or less contrary to, well....everything? I mean, Steam even advertises these games by saying you can follow their development and such.
i think they meant

"your game must already be worth money"

personally, i think its not enough, guaranteed refunds would truthly force devs to work on their games, theyll think twice before abandoning development
And where'd the refunds come from after the devs have already spent hmm?
The problem with EA has always been the consumer not so much the dev. I mean ... seriously How hard is it to you know.. not spend money and wait for the actual release.

This is just Steam doing their best to prevent idjits with too much time, and money( and not enough braincells) from themselves.

The concept of a a EA is admirable gbut really what you've got is a Kickstarter.. you're not paying to get the game a month or two before everyone else... no you're making a donation. The reward of which is instant access to the incomplete game and the complete game when it's finished.

If those terms do not agree with you... then 'wait'.
make the customer entitles to a refund 1 week after purchasing an early access game

And what do you expect devs to do in a week?.

See this is the sort of thiong that EA has to put up with customers who have no clue. and base expectations on said cluelessness

that way devs would truthly be forced to work on their game
devs will me forced to keep their game updated and playable to avoid new players from getting refunds and counter negative word of mouth

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
BigTuk said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
devs will me forced to keep their game updated and playable to avoid new players from getting refunds and counter negative word of mouth
And here's where your lack of software engineering shows ... 90% of changes to code will never be visible to the end user... that can basically change one function for another in the code and call it an update...

Or just add a superfluous line of code.. and call it a tweak.
SO in short it'd be the consumer getting doubly shafted... you'd more or less wid up dounloading weekly updates that change bugger all.
And here's where your lack of software engineering shows
PFFFFF HAHAHAHA

alright let me give you this little bit of news pal, i AM a software engineer, we are talking about games that have not been updated in MONTHS, no bug fixes, no nothing

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
so Valve finally recognizes early access has problems and are actually doing something about it.
If this is enforced then I this is a good start but more should be done to make early access better.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Gizmo1990 said:
I am glad they are trying to do something about this (finaly) but I would be happy if they simply had a filter on the main page that would allow me to remove early access and indi games from appearing. You can already do it with dlc so I don't imagine it would be difficult.
But you can.

Just click the [customize] button at the top right of the marquee you want to edit and you can select which types of games and software appear.

Hope that helps.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
My Reaction:

Though I fear that this won't actually fix anything in practice. We'll see Jim ripping a ton of Early Access games to shreds yet.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
That's simply too extreme to be feasible. They wouldn't be able to afford giving a refund to every customer, so all it would do is kick the people on the development out of the video game industry forever, put debt on the people on the development team, and give a partial refund for in-store credit to the people who bought and played an incomplete game.

And besides that, devs not finishing EA projects isn't much of an issue, imo. Unless your game gets mega-popular, most players will get the soul of the game when it first goes up on the store. When you make a game, you're presenting its soul to people, and all you can do once you've captured that soul is improve the way you present it. There's no point on working on the presentation if most of the people who will play the game have already come to understand it.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
So this does what? As far as I got it stops them from making promises, which doesn't really stop any kind of abandonment or infinite early access alpha time.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I think the deal people make over early access is silly. People seem to want a way to support their own judgement whether it was good or bad so it has no consequences. It's really simple, any early access game is a risk. Realize it may be a total loss. That's on the buyer and it is easy.

Now more guidelines are fine, but not necessary in my mind.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
These guidelines sound reasonable enough, heck, some of them should be common sense for every dev, but sadly, Valve truly needed to write and specify these guidelines, worst part is that they took their sweet time to post this (Valve Time).

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
So Steam's Early Access program has had some success stories [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130679-DayZ-Alpha-Sells-172K-in-Its-First-Day]
You're counting DayZ as a success story? Because their hacker friendly, terminally delayed, worse-than-ARMA-mod version doesn't seem like a particularly successful version of how to do early access. It just had better marketing than the other cynical cash-grabs that never intend to complete their game.

If you want to see the right way to do early access, check out Space Engineers. Weekly updates, constant dialogue with the community, constantly improving game that even from the start was fun. Best example I've seen.

OT: glad to see Steam finally doing something. "Better late than never" seems to be Valve's motto.