Valve: "Valve Time" is a Compliment

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
Bioware: Three Mass Effect games in five years, and despite the ending of ME3 being hotly debated, some of the best games if not the best games of their respective years. In the same amount of time, two Dragon Age games, one of which was very well received, the other polarising but with a dedicated fanbase and Star Wars the Old Republic, an MMO which at least did get well received, even if it was crushed by WoW pretty quickly.
Bioware is a bit of a strech there, Dragon Age 2 was rushed through and it showed up in the final product and the Mass Effect series kinda craped itself in the end.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
Bioware: Three Mass Effect games in five years, and despite the ending of ME3 being hotly debated, some of the best games if not the best games of their respective years. In the same amount of time, two Dragon Age games, one of which was very well received, the other polarising but with a dedicated fanbase and Star Wars the Old Republic, an MMO which at least did get well received, even if it was crushed by WoW pretty quickly.

Bethesda: Two Elder Scrolls games in six years, both incredibly well received and Skyrim looking set to become an early contender for game of the decade judging by the nerd response to it. Also, two Fallout games, one of which, while badly received by fans of old Fallout, basically revived what was a near dead franchise, created a great game which accoridng to the Escapists very own competition is one of the eight best games ever, and could go on to win or be in the top four.
You know Bethesda didn't make Fallout:NV, and Bioware has a team of over 800 people right now, don't you? Just saying.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Ragsnstitches said:
monkeymo4d said:
Jove said:
You... you both realise that Valve have released 1 massively successful game each year since 2004, right?

But lets look at this in detail.

2004: Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source
2005: Day of Defeat: Source
2006: Half Life Episode 1
2007: Half Life Episode 2, TF2, Portal
2008: Left 4 Dead
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2010: Aline Swarm (Free game)
2011: Portal 2
2012: Counter Strike Global Offensive (August), Dota 2 (TBA)

Yeah... thats a real shitty release schedule.

EDIT: That's not including everything they have done with TF2 since release.
Well thats the thing I (we) never really said that they had a shitty release schedule but rather they are one of the few devs/publishers who can afford to do it. For examples if you compare Half Life2 and portal 2 to their other game projects such as dead Day of defeat and to some extent TF2 then you can see that there is a vast difference in production time,cost and speed between their community based games and their AAA games. Most publishers wouldnt risk their dev teems working on community based games and even if they did most would be half assed and wouldn't get the community support most valve games and mods do.

Hell during the development of half life Gabe and Harrington(at this point pretty rich because of their work at Microsoft) the founders of Valve had to dig deep into their own cash to fund it because they kept extending the production time, something most developers wouldn't even attempt lest they go bankrupt.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Ed130 said:
MelasZepheos said:
Bioware is a bit of a strech there, Dragon Age 2 was rushed through and it showed up in the final product and the Mass Effect series kinda craped itself in the end.
Agreeing that DA2 was rushed for the publisher, the crappy ending of ME3 was due to the megalomania of one man: Casey Hudson, who single handedly re-wrote the entire ending into the crapfest of "Pick your favourite colour" due to the orginal ending designs being leaked.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Jove said:
CardinalPiggles said:
MelasZepheos said:

Bethesda: Two Elder Scrolls games in six years, both incredibly well received and Skyrim looking set to become an early contender for game of the decade judging by the nerd response to it. Also, two Fallout games, one of which, while badly received by fans of old Fallout, basically revived what was a near dead franchise, created a great game which accoridng to the Escapists very own competition is one of the eight best games ever, and could go on to win or be in the top four.
You know Bethesda didn't make Fallout:NV, and Bioware has a team of over 800 people right now, don't you? Just saying.
Valve also didn't make TF2, Left 4 Dead, Portal, etc. Yet people still count them anyway. So if your (I don't mean you, just others that put those games in their "list" as Valve games) gonna count them, I guess we should also count Fallout New Vegas on Bethesda since they did publish the game after all.
'Publishing' and 'hiring out the modders' are completely different.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
The Mass Effect team was the Central Bioware team, Dragon Age was made by the Edmonton studio and KOR was made by Bioware Vancouver. So your example doesn't tread water.
MelasZepheos said:
TES: Oblivion was started immediately after the release of Morrowind, so the actual development cycle was a lot longer than that. Fallout 3 was basically made using the same engine as Oblivion, so it had a short dev cycle. New Vegas was made by Obsidian and publish by Bethesda. So yeah, again, doesn't tread water. Valve actually does a lot of work in a lot of areas at once, its basically several game studios under one banner.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
dogstile said:
VZLANemesis said:
Jove said:
Let's be honest, if it wasn't for Steam, Valve would have gone bankrupt and shut down years ago with the kind of game development schedule they have at the moment.
Even you must admit you HAVE to be exagerating to prove a point right?
I mean, jokes aside, Orange Box (and then hat sales), L4D, L4D2, Portal 2, F2P TF2 (getting shitloads more money bc of hats), Valve has gotten quite a bit of good games out there, not to count the crazy ammount of free content they offer after every game is released, TF2 Updates, Portal 2 extras, L4D 1 & 2 Free content... Its not like they've been doing absolutely nothing over the span of years.

The longest period of time without a game release has been what? 1 year?

(also, right now, DOTA 2 and CS:GO Getting lots of work and updates done onto them)
Remove the games that Valve employees didn't make or come up with the idea for (for example, finding a cool project and buying it + staff) and that list becomes a lot shorter.

Valve is a publisher now, not a developer.
You should really look up what publisher and developer mean... just wow...
I get that technically they're different. But think of it this way:

EA: Buys a company under company name, lets them make game, puts out game.
Valve: Buys a company, doesn't let them keep company name, puts out game as valve game.

I mean, I get that there are a few tiny differences, but to me it seems they roughly do the same thing. They're basically a publisher now, I doubt valve staff have ever truly finished a product they've come up with the idea for in a while now. The people who do are the companies that they buy.

Edit: Hell, didn't they hire a completely different team to do l4d2 and leave the team that came up with it to sorta float off into nothingness?

Edit edit: To humour you, these are from google/dictionary.com when searching define: "insert thing here".

Publisher: a person or company whose business is the publishing of books, periodicals, engravings, computer software, etc.

Developer: A person or organization that develops something.

I'm still of the opinion that they develop nothing of their own recently (aside from, you know, portal and even that was an idea from somewhere else). They buy, they market, they sell.

Publisher.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Jove said:
monkeymo4d said:
Jove said:
Let's be honest, if it wasn't for Steam, Valve would have gone bankrupt and shut down years ago with the kind of game development schedule they have at the moment.

I don't really believe Valve actually believes in any of these stuff, they just know they can get away with it because of the money made from Steam. They could wait till they actually release a game of their own (that's not a mod) for another decade and people will still worship them like they were gods.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hide behind my imaginary Internet flame shield.
That's actually true infact I think at some point Bethesda almost went under because their development cycle took too long(and other things) and if it wasn't for the huge success that Morrowind then we probably wouldn't have Skyrim today.

Fact is for most game devs releasing a game in under 3 years isnt really a matter of choice but neccesity and Valves approach to game development is only plausible due to their constant fountain of revenue (Steam).
Exactly. And great point about Bethesda as well.

What some people (especially most valve fans) don't realize is that it's not exactly easy for the developers to just take their time to perfect their game. In fact, its probably impossible for most. Besides the fact that most developers are being pressured by their publishers to release their games, but they keep losing money and more money the longer they develop their game. Their have been many cases as well that I'm sure some people here have heard of where game companies have gone bankrupt before they could even finish their game, now their gone forever. Is that want you guys want?

Its a double-edged sword, and Valve and Besthesda (and a maybe another that I'm forgetting at the moment) are the only exceptions to this because of either their past success (Bethesda), they have so much money that it doesn't really matter, or they have another source of income (Steam). Otherwise, it's impossible for another developer to do what Valve does with their games. Its either take your time with your game and go bankrupt with that game never seeing the light of day, or rush the game to just get it out there at the very least and get some sort of commendations for it and hope for the best.
I agree with everything said in these three posts, and will just add: Blizzard.

Blizzard has much worse development cycles and relies more heavily on the success of their past games to carry their future games to victory. I mean, just look at the hype train that lead up to SC2: Wings of Liberty's release, and especially D3's release. I'd argue that Blizzard Time is much more wonky than Valve time, because Blizzard knows how popular they are.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Jove said:
CardinalPiggles said:
MelasZepheos said:

Valve also didn't make TF2, Left 4 Dead, Portal, etc. Yet people still count them anyway. So if your (I don't mean you, just others that put those games in their "list" as Valve games) gonna count them, I guess we should also count Fallout New Vegas on Bethesda since they did publish the game after all.
Difference is, TF2, L4D 1+2 and Portal 1+2 were at least partially developed in house, whereas, say FO:NV was developed entirely by Obsidian.

I'm not saying Valve thought up those games all by themselves, but they at least put plenty of work into them. To say that some other people made the mods for these games entirely and then sold it to Valve for Valve to publish is foolish.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Jove said:
If you take a modder, hire them, and give them a staff and a budget, they are no longer simply a modder. It takes a lot of work to turn a prototype into a polished product.

Mar 9, 2010
Jove said:
Exactly. And great point about Bethesda as well.

What some people (especially most valve fans) don't realize is that it's not exactly easy for the developers to just take their time to perfect their game. In fact, its probably impossible for most. Besides the fact that most developers are being pressured by their publishers to release their games, but they keep losing money and more money the longer they develop their game. Their have been many cases as well that I'm sure some people here have heard of where game companies have gone bankrupt before they could even finish their game, now their gone forever. Is that want you guys want?

Its a double-edged sword, and Valve and Besthesda (and a maybe another that I'm forgetting at the moment) are the only exceptions to this because of either their past success (Bethesda), they have so much money that it doesn't really matter, or they have another source of income (Steam). Otherwise, it's impossible for another developer to do what Valve does with their games. Its either take your time with your game and go bankrupt with that game never seeing the light of day, or rush the game to just get it out there at the very least and get some sort of commendations for it and hope for the best.
You say it like it's a bad thing. I say congratulations to Valve for being so bold as to create and maintain Steam, one of the largest digital distribution systems we've ever seen. Other developers can't afford to take the same amount of time, it is too risky, but I can't imagine they're going up to the very last second to put the fine detail in, I'm far more inclined it's a publisher rush. Regardless of what it is that limits them, Valve shouldn't be looked down on because they can go to the level of detail and polish that all developers want.

OT: I wish more companies followed Valve's structure but, like Jove said, they simply can't. If all developers followed Valve's methods then we'd not really see Valve as a company that stands tall both as a publisher and a developer. I'd be happy with less pressure from publishers to meet a certain release date.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Valve hire talented people, get them to their HQ, form a cabal around then and let the rest of Valve work on the game they make if they want to. That is very different from simply publishing in my opinion. A bunch of HL´s development team worked on Portal and L4D. TF2 also isn´t a mod for Half Life. TF1 was a Quake mod that Valve turned into a commercial game and TF2 was develeoped in-house by Valve itself from scratch.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Dreadman75 said:
It's okay Valve. We'll all forgive you once Half-Life 3 comes out.

But seriously, who else does this? Actually taking the time and effort to go over their games with a fine-tooth comb in order to make sure that they are up to a specific standard, instead of treating their franchises like a machine where you just pull a lever and another installment pops out.

I applaud this kind of business practice. It shows they care about their fanbase enough to risk their ire for taking so long on a much anticipated game, in order to make sure that game is something that is worth such a wait.
I just hope this doesn't end up like the next DNF. :/

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
UNHchabo said:
Jove said:
If you take a modder, hire them, and give them a staff and a budget, they are no longer simply a modder. It takes a lot of work to turn a prototype into a polished product.
I like how they think TF2 and Portal were finished products before Valve got a hold of them. I'm sure those modders made their games look that good lololol

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
ruthaford_jive said:
I wish more companies would do things the way Valve did. Quality over quantity in my opinion.
Everyone wishes they could do that, they just can't afford it.