Valve: "Valve Time" is a Compliment

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Ragsnstitches said:
You... you both realise that Valve have released 1 massively successful game each year since 2004, right?

But lets look at this in detail.

2004: Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source
2005: Day of Defeat: Source
2006: Half Life Episode 1
2007: Half Life Episode 2, TF2, Portal
2008: Left 4 Dead
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2010: Aline Swarm (Free game)
2011: Portal 2
2012: Counter Strike Global Offensive (August), Dota 2 (TBA)

Yeah... thats a real shitty release schedule.

EDIT: That's not including everything they have done with TF2 since release.
It fascinates and depresses me, that there is not a single 3 in the entirety of this post. Not in any of the titles, not even in the years. Either 2013 will have HL3, TF3, Portal 3, DOTA3 and L4D3 ?...or Gabe Newell has some weird number phobia, and will shut down Steam and not release a single game for that whole year.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
Ragsnstitches said:
You... you both realise that Valve have released 1 massively successful game each year since 2004, right?

But lets look at this in detail.

2004: Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source
2005: Day of Defeat: Source
2006: Half Life Episode 1
2007: Half Life Episode 2, TF2, Portal
2008: Left 4 Dead
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2010: Aline Swarm (Free game)
2011: Portal 2
2012: Counter Strike Global Offensive (August), Dota 2 (TBA)

Yeah... thats a real shitty release schedule.

EDIT: That's not including everything they have done with TF2 since release.
It fascinates and depresses me, that there is not a single 3 in the entirety of this post. Not in any of the titles, not even in the years. Either 2013 will have HL3, TF3, Portal 3, DOTA3 and L4D3 ?...or Gabe Newell has some weird number phobia, and will shut down Steam and not release a single game for that whole year.
Its generally accepted that the 3rd entry in a trilogy is always the worst (except for star wars prequels, where the last one was the best, but thats still not saying much).

Maybe gabe is investing millions to figure out how to beat the fate?

News Just in, Half-Life 3 has been announced, but its called Full-Life... and its better then anyone expected!

Millions spent on a name change... was it worth it?

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
Yes, taking your time to get things right is a good thing, But not 5 years for something that's supposed to be episodic. I love Valve. Steam is fantastic, and most of their games are fabulous. But they should never try to justify Valve Time, because it's just not right. It's really all about Half-Life 2 Episode 3. No matter what you do, if you release 70 great games in six months, it won't matter, because you still haven't released that game.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
I just bought Portal 2 for £3.92, right now I can't see anything to dislike about Valve.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
banksy122 said:
irishda said:
That's been Blizzard's motto for a long time, and look how people felt about Diablo 3. Honestly, I'll laugh my ass off if the same situation happens with Half-life 3.
Except Blizzard is owned by Activision now. A publisher who demands their devs to force games out.
Except they still took 12 years to make D3. Plus, the money they earn from WoW probably has earned them leeway from Activision; not that I'm sold on the whole "this is what Activision demands" idea. I'll believe Activision is exercising control over the Blizzard team if we get Diablo 4 pushed out in 2 years.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
That's the problem Valve, it's not a compliment. Don't get me wrong, I fully support quality over quantity and Devs pushing unfinished games out to meet deadlines. That being said, as others have pointed out, you guys are merely a publisher at this point. If it weren't for Steam you would have gone out of business long ago although that may be partly the reason you feel content to sit back and do nothing. I love Steam and all the great deal on games OTHER people made, but at this point there is nothing even remotely on the radar from YOU.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
samaugsch said:
Dreadman75 said:
It's okay Valve. We'll all forgive you once Half-Life 3 comes out.

But seriously, who else does this? Actually taking the time and effort to go over their games with a fine-tooth comb in order to make sure that they are up to a specific standard, instead of treating their franchises like a machine where you just pull a lever and another installment pops out.

I applaud this kind of business practice. It shows they care about their fanbase enough to risk their ire for taking so long on a much anticipated game, in order to make sure that game is something that is worth such a wait.
I just hope this doesn't end up like the next DNF. :/
The problem with comparing HL3 to DNF is that HL3 hasn't even been announced yet, hell, they haven't even confirmed if they've started making it. Meanwhile, DNF had set a launch date and had even taken preorders, then took 10 or so years after they first said it was due to launch to actually release it. So it's silly to say it's even a similar situation, or that HL3 could be "the next DNF."

Edit: I'm also not sure why people are saying "If Valve didn't have steam they couldn't do this stupidly long prodiction cycle and quality control thing.", because they DO have Steam. So they can do it. If they don't rely on their games to make them money anymore, why bother trying to make money game development, why not just focus on making great games instead and stick to Steam for income?

Ian Mantell

Mar 2, 2012
Sacrifice a headcrab each 13th friday it might help ;-)
Well honestly, I am getting too old to play FPS. My elbows hurt like I'm 80 yrs old from gaming since D00M and my doc says stop using the keyboard like that. Valve, do you read me? My time is running out and i wanted to see them whack that suitcase wielding time agent for good before I'm dead.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Vigormortis said:
major_chaos said:
Don't worry. I use Scotch-Guard. I'm good. ;)

Also, I just wanted to complement you on your earlier post. Within the span of two sentences you managed to insult Valve, Valve fans, Steam, the Steam store, "DRM", and (in a "by proxy" sort of way) Gabe Newell.

That's impressive. Well played sir.
Hey I aim to impress, and if I can do it with one short rant I guess I'm doing it right. :)

you managed to insult ... and (in a "by proxy" sort of way) Gabe Newell.
I'm sure he is devastated, but a quick soak in his money bath and a nap his bed full of money in his room made of money should have him back on his feet in no time.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
SuperNova221 said:
samaugsch said:
Dreadman75 said:

But seriously, who else does this? Actually taking the time and effort to go over their games with a fine-tooth comb in order to make sure that they are up to a specific standard, instead of treating their franchises like a machine where you just pull a lever and another installment pops out.

I applaud this kind of business practice. It shows they care about their fanbase enough to risk their ire for taking so long on a much anticipated game, in order to make sure that game is something that is worth such a wait.
I just hope this doesn't end up like the next DNF. :/
The problem with comparing HL3 to DNF is that HL3 hasn't even been announced yet, hell, they haven't even confirmed if they've started making it. Meanwhile, DNF had set a launch date and had even taken preorders, then took 10 or so years after they first said it was due to launch to actually release it. So it's silly to say it's even a similar situation, or that HL3 could be "the next DNF."

Edit: I'm also not sure why people are saying "If Valve didn't have steam they couldn't do this stupidly long prodiction cycle and quality control thing.", because they DO have Steam. So they can do it. If they don't rely on their games to make them money anymore, why bother trying to make money game development, why not just focus on making great games instead and stick to Steam for income?
Seriously, at this point, I think people are just looking for things to complain about. Either that, or they have ridiculously high standards. :/

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Thorsten Schocke said:
Sacrifice a headcrab each 13th friday it might help ;-)
Well honestly, I am getting too old to play FPS. My elbows hurt like I'm 80 yrs old from gaming since D00M and my doc says stop using the keyboard like that. Valve, do you read me? My time is running out and i wanted to see them whack that suitcase wielding time agent for good before I'm dead.
I hope you are not waiting for a boss fight with G-man since it would be so...ametaurish considering their take on the character. I know it would piss me off.

Welcome to the escapist BTW

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Dreadman75 said:

One must not forget the fact that such a development style is expensive to maintain. Valve and Blizzard (the only other company I can think of ATM) can get away with it because they have constant income from Steam and Wow, respectivly. If any other developer tries this without such a safety net, they'll hit the ground hard.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
JezWilkinson said:
"We would infinitely rather have happy customers for decades, rather than a happy batch of customers at one Christmas," he stated.
That's all fine man, just sayin that sounds like a guarantee you guys are handing out legendary games every pop.

I'm sure you guys can't wait for the insurmountable hype and expectations.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I want to give them flack, but they do make great games, and they're not addicted to sequels, or throw out sequels each year just because we want more of it, which makes us want it more, in fairness. I used to really look forward to each Assassin's Creed, but now that they come around as often as my mailman, I'm quickly running out of enthusiasm for each new iteration. And while I do love Steam, and it's many wonderous deals, it would be nice to see a new Half Life in that list.

Also, if they do put out a new IP soon, I'm going to seriously start believing they have a fear of the number three.

Aug 1, 2010
Valve, I get it. I really do. And I agree! Quality is more important than speed!

But this..... This is just ridiculous.

Other companies have made games just as good if not better than the Half-Life games in FAR shorter time.

At this point, Half-Life 2: Episode 3 has nearly become vaporware like Duke Nukem Forever. I know that a craftsman can always add new things to his work, but at this rate, you will NEVER be done.

At the very least, give us some damn details!

Think about it Valve...

Captcha: teh inter webs

Ian Mantell

Mar 2, 2012
bafrali said:
I hope you are not waiting for a boss fight with G-man since it would be so...ametaurish considering their take on the character. I know it would piss me off.

Welcome to the escapist BTW
Oh thank you very much! I normally just watch those funny Ben Croshaw game reviews in zero punctuation.

G-man - no, not an end fight, just a cutscene where alyx gives him some in return for pushing the player through all those happy times. You know, he'll still be needed to hire the crew of that tempest class battleship named clear skies. -chuckles-

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
major_chaos said:
Vigormortis said:
major_chaos said:
Don't worry. I use Scotch-Guard. I'm good. ;)

Also, I just wanted to complement you on your earlier post. Within the span of two sentences you managed to insult Valve, Valve fans, Steam, the Steam store, "DRM", and (in a "by proxy" sort of way) Gabe Newell.

That's impressive. Well played sir.
Hey I aim to impress, and if I can do it with one short rant I guess I'm doing it right. :)

you managed to insult ... and (in a "by proxy" sort of way) Gabe Newell.
I'm sure he is devastated, but a quick soak in his money bath and a nap his bed full of money in his room made of money should have him back on his feet in no time.
Only his tub is filled with money. The rest; bed, room, etc; are made entirely of gold-pressed latinum. [sub][sub]Oh look! A Star Trek reference! How witty.[/sub][/sub]

Though I imagine sleeping on a solid gold bed would be incredibly uncomfortable.

He probably had some of the in-house Valve engineers figure out a way to make it comfy. Probably cost millions too. 'Course, nothing a new round of TF2 hats won't cover.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
You can say that quality beats quantity, but Valve is providing neither with how they seem to not be doing jack shit with the game.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Yes it's true that I only want Episode 3 because everything else in the series was fucking excellent, but that doesn't make it okay to just stop giving a fuck about me.