Velocity

May 17, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
370999 said:
Sandytimeman said:
I'm like...really mad at elliot here. He seriously just told someone he knows has mental problems to grow up.

LIKE GROWING UP CURES MENTAL PROBLEMS!!!!
Indeed. However there is an issue when someone doesn't take their medication. And to a certain degree, it's not his problem, it's Erin's. However storming his house, stripping down to her panties, wrestling with a girl and throwing a console at someone's face is well an issue...
Right but he is also the one responsible for the accident that gave Erin that mental condition. Apparently if I were to lame someone and then ***** about them having to sit in a wheel chair. Finally culminating in me yelling at them "STOP BEING LAZY AND WALK!"
He crashed yeah but I can't remember him forcing her to not wear a seat belt.

Your wheel chair example would make sense if someone could take exercises to be able to walk and refused to do so

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Blunderboy said:
After she threw a games console at someone's face? Not really.
Aye but he also knows shes not quite well in the head. I think if I had been in that situation I may have grabbed her by the arm and shoved her out the house, but I just think actually picking her up and flinging her out is a bit extreme!

Then again, as you say... game saves were at stake of course....

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
... This is the same guy responsible for Erin's head trauma right? Man, I know you should always side with your GF... but god damn that guy just came across as a prick!

Also, anti-psychotics, if you have a problem but that problem doesn't cause you to want to cause harm to your self and others I don't think you should have to take them... they make you feel like you're not you.

...NOT that I have personal experience or anything... ((Fuck, now everyone thinks I'm a loon)) I did 2 years of Nursing and have a strong medical predisposition in my family.

"Hey mum, I don't want to be a nurse OK, I want to kill people" - Not what I said, but what she heard

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Wow, this just took an incredibly depressing turn. That Erin's hallucinations because of her brain damage has caused an insanely large rift between her room mate and her friend, the one who caused the brain damage in the first place. That Elliot is less mad, but rather just pities Erin for acting to her hallucination's demands and just asks her to just grow up. Meanwhile, Erin is still convinced she's not crazy to the point of launching an X-Box 360 (which to a game reviewer must be pretty valuable) at her room-mate who calls her crazy's head (not at her, but directly at her face, which is slightly different in feelings of malice).

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the rift and her proclamation of not being crazy despite everyone yelling at her that she is and she should take the meds which make her feel like a half-vegetable state will cause her to go into a deep depression. God damn it Grey, just god damn it.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Veterinari said:
InTheEnd said:
Veterinari said:
Sandytimeman said:
Snip
Snip
So then the grown-up thing is to go to your doctor and fix the dosage or get some other meds. Or at least wait for her doctor to say it's okay to stop taking them. For all she knows that's something that passes. You don't stop taking your medication on your own volition.
1. Seeing hallucinations this specific is a very unusual thing, as far as anyone knows these are the only meds there are. Changing the dosage doesn't alter the effect, just the strenght of the effect.

2. At least as far as i know mental illnesse like hallucinations can't be cured, just supressed, so it can't just pass. So if that's true any doctor would tell her that.

3. Asking the doctor for anything besides the meds she already has would be pointless because they pretty much told her that they have no idea what she has and are just flinging shit against the wall here.

4. If the one thing that she has doesn't help with anything (the meds in this case)would a cynic like her really keep taking them? It's hard to stop old habits, especially if they are so old that you don't notice them anymore.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
There is a point where the insanity excuse and the "you were responsible for the accident" excuse don't serve as an excuse anymore. That is when you start acting like a violent idiot. Treating her like an adult will be the best in this situation.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
Fragmented_Faith said:
Sandytimeman said:
Dude...that was a dick move. I'm...like not even able to express my hate towards characters I previously liked. Mol and Mr.Geeky there need to go take a drive asap so they can run into another poll.

Seriously he is pretty much responsible for her brain damage, he doesn't know what its like to try and deal with the meds, and he doesn't care because hes hooking up with her roomate anyway. Why should he take any responsibility. Grrr >.>
And sneaking into somebody elses house in the middle of the night for no sane reason, seemingly stealing there property and then reacting with a violent outburst for what honestly sounded like a good point (why doesn't she take her meds?) is the proper way to act? Accident or not she has very little ground to stand on considering the all clear she got from the hospitable, the fact that she's not taking steps to fix her problem and cant seem to explain just why she attempted to inflict pretty severe harm on a friend- no ***** deserved to get bounced
Except you've probably never been on those meds. Sometimes they put you into a semi veg state, sometimes your filled with extreme bursts of emotion, sometimes you are suicidal and try and harm yourself. It takes years to properly dose and tweak meds so they work and arn't worse then the problem they are fixing.

It is hard to stay on your meds, growing up I loved to draw and write. After going on my meds I would just sleep all day, a couple of times I tried throwing myself down the stairs, I only ever had the inspiration and motivation to draw when I wasn't on meds. So I kept not taking my meds when I could get away with it.
Big difference between "I'm sleepy" and "I think I'll try to smash someone's skull with a 360."

This has turned into one of those situations that, if I heard about it on the news, my reaction would be "And you haven't called 911 why?" Frankly, in the same situation, there's a good chance that I would have restrained her and called the police.

And, as for being responsible:
1) She refuses to wear a seat belt.
2) She refuses to take her meds.
3) She just attempted to inflict the same sort of head trauma on Mol.

So where is Erin's responsibility?

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
thepyrethatburns said:
Sandytimeman said:
Fragmented_Faith said:
Sandytimeman said:
Dude...that was a dick move. I'm...like not even able to express my hate towards characters I previously liked. Mol and Mr.Geeky there need to go take a drive asap so they can run into another poll.

Seriously he is pretty much responsible for her brain damage, he doesn't know what its like to try and deal with the meds, and he doesn't care because hes hooking up with her roomate anyway. Why should he take any responsibility. Grrr >.>
And sneaking into somebody elses house in the middle of the night for no sane reason, seemingly stealing there property and then reacting with a violent outburst for what honestly sounded like a good point (why doesn't she take her meds?) is the proper way to act? Accident or not she has very little ground to stand on considering the all clear she got from the hospitable, the fact that she's not taking steps to fix her problem and cant seem to explain just why she attempted to inflict pretty severe harm on a friend- no ***** deserved to get bounced
Except you've probably never been on those meds. Sometimes they put you into a semi veg state, sometimes your filled with extreme bursts of emotion, sometimes you are suicidal and try and harm yourself. It takes years to properly dose and tweak meds so they work and arn't worse then the problem they are fixing.

It is hard to stay on your meds, growing up I loved to draw and write. After going on my meds I would just sleep all day, a couple of times I tried throwing myself down the stairs, I only ever had the inspiration and motivation to draw when I wasn't on meds. So I kept not taking my meds when I could get away with it.
Big difference between "I'm sleepy" and "I think I'll try to smash someone's skull with a 360."

This has turned into one of those situations that, if I heard about it on the news, my reaction would be "And you haven't called 911 why?" Frankly, in the same situation, there's a good chance that I would have restrained her and called the police.

You just ignored the "extreme bursts of emotion" part of my post so you could strawman me.

Also I never claimed she was responsible but I don't think Mol or Elliot are being responsible either.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
thepyrethatburns said:
Sandytimeman said:
Fragmented_Faith said:
Sandytimeman said:

You just ignored the "extreme bursts of emotion" part of my post so you could strawman me.

Also I never claimed she was responsible but I don't think Mol or Elliot are being responsible either.
No, I didn't but you also never claimed to be prone to violence against others.

Even if I did, you also seem bound and determined to defend her and her actions even though her current condition is largely a result of her actions and she has just jumped the line from "amusingly quirky" to "danger to people around her". Given that you seem to be largely ignoring a lot of the situation, I think I can be granted an omission or two.

Mooly

Jan 24, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
Fragmented_Faith said:
Sandytimeman said:

Uuuuuh, I feel like you are reading too far into this and its tinged with personal experience. That said, I have friends on meds like this. I tolerate whatever emotional state they happen to be in, but attempting physical violence is crossing a line. She threw a fucking xbox at her friend, I think she deserved to be thrown out of doorway. And even if you dont grow out of mental problems, maybe she does need to grow up a little and learn keep her problems from affecting the people she loves. (and now im reading to far into this)

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
I'm like...really mad at elliot here. He seriously just told someone he knows has mental problems to grow up.

It often does. You grow up, you learn to cope with problems - all kinds of problems, including mental ones.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Don Reba said:
Sandytimeman said:

It often does. You grow up, you learn to cope with problems - all kinds of problems, including mental ones.
Weird how my dad still has schizophrenia then at nearly 50. Guess he is just not very grown up.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ahhhh Kratos, your sagely wisdom and perspective is something that we all need in our life.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
Don Reba said:
Sandytimeman said:

Weird how my dad still has schizophrenia then at nearly 50. Guess he is just not very grown up.
Unlike you, I did not make a general statement, like "all mental problems are cured by growing up". I said "often". Erin's problem, specifically, does not seem like the degenerative kind.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
thepyrethatburns said:
Sandytimeman said:
thepyrethatburns said:
Sandytimeman said:
Fragmented_Faith said:
Sandytimeman said:

No, I didn't but you also never claimed to be prone to violence against others.

Even if I did, you also seem bound and determined to defend her and her actions even though her current condition is largely a result of her actions and she has just jumped the line from "amusingly quirky" to "danger to people around her". Given that you seem to be largely ignoring a lot of the situation, I think I can be granted an omission or two.
I could see Sandytimeman's argument that Mol and Elliot are not being responsible. If they were, they would have called 911 to have Erin locked away, potentially permanently, because she has now become a danger, not only to herself but to others as well (speaking as someone, who during childhood, had to often deal with a close relative having violent nervous break-downs and schizophrenic episodes that required just such a response on my part).

Mooly

Jan 24, 2010
Sargent Hoofbeat said:
... This is the same guy responsible for Erin's head trauma right? Man, I know you should always side with your GF... but god damn that guy just came across as a prick!

Also, anti-psychotics, if you have a problem but that problem doesn't cause you to want to cause harm to your self and others I don't think you should have to take them... they make you feel like you're not you.

...NOT that I have personal experience or anything... ((Fuck, now everyone thinks I'm a loon)) I did 2 years of Nursing and have a strong medical predisposition in my family.

"Hey mum, I don't want to be a nurse OK, I want to kill people" - Not what I said, but what she heard
I feel like he was justified. Once you start throwing stuff at your friends hard enough to crack walls you've forfeited your right to excuses, and when you cant control yourself you dont deserve to be treated like an adult