Vergil confirmed for DmC

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
I dont even.... what is this?

why do they keep using names from a series of games that i loved.
i mean surely it must be coincidence seeing as that looks nothing like a Devil May Cry game.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I... I just... fuck.
The gameplay doesn't even look that bad, but everything they're doing with it... it's just all wrong.
Plus, how do you make Vergil and not get his original voice actor?
This is what I want to know as well. They used his voice actor in one of those fighting games as well, so why not in another DMC game? His original voice actor is awesome and really makes that character who he is. I just hope they don't make a pussy out of Vergil. I hope it turns out that he's the bad guy in the game or something like that. He's a power hungry ************ and that's why we love him.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
White hair and a Katana isn't what makes Vergil so gorram awesome.
I was just making a joke about the constant references to Vergil he has. The cutscene where he says "Give me more power... to protect her" is paraphrasing Vergil, his "This may be fun" taunt and his devil trigger is a Yamato using Nelo (which, when translated by someone competant, is Nero) Angelo. There are other nods to Vergil here and there but those are the most noticeable. Apparently some tie-in bullshit says it's cause Nero is Vergil's son, I prefer thinking his devil trigger is Vergil's reincarnation or whatever you'd call it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Pearwood said:
hazabaza1 said:
White hair and a Katana isn't what makes Vergil so gorram awesome.
I was just making a joke about the constant references to Vergil he has. The cutscene where he says "Give me more power... to protect her" is paraphrasing Vergil, his "This may be fun" taunt and his devil trigger is a Yamato using Nelo (which, when translated by someone competant, is Nero) Angelo. There are other nods to Vergil here and there but those are the most noticeable. Apparently some tie-in bullshit says it's cause Nero is Vergil's son, I prefer thinking his devil trigger is Vergil's reincarnation or whatever you'd call it.
Fair enough.
It's been a while since I played DMC4 so I forgot most if not all the references and I thought you were just making a snarky joke. My mistake.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
What?!

Who the fuck is that guy?!

That isn't Vergil! Goddamn!

If they were gonna change the personality of the characters this much, they might as well have started a new IP.
Don't know if it'll help you but I find the game easier to swallow by pretending all these characters were made in the fallout "create a character" and they're playing a resident evil mod.

I've still no idea who had the bright idea to do this to the characters we all know and love... But to be totally honest I don't think the game would be getting this much flack if it were a new series, people would probably just look at it and go "Meh, it's Twilight May Cry".

What is it with "Ninja" companies ruining good games? Oh well, I think when DmC comes out I'll show up in my blue trench and buy a copy of DMC Trilogy HD. Just hope those gamestop workers don't try and tell me they have better deals than Steam again... Ha.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
TehCookie said:
anthony87 said:
TehCookie said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:
The gameplay looks the same, doesn't it?
No. [http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_may_cry/go/thread/view/7401/29169411/Movelist_and_Gameplay_BreakdownDiscussion_and_FAQs] (No hard feelings, you should just learn why people are mad that their favorite franchise is completely screw up and it's not just the new paint job.)

OT: He looks a lot better than Dante, but as soon as he opened his mouth I had to check if it was Vergil talking. I know it's a reboot, but when you take someone and do a complete 180 of there personality it's not going to make things better. Vergil, the guy who tried to sacrifice the world to prove he was as strong as papa Sparda is now lecturing Dante on doing the same to save a girl.
Look on the plus side. Maybe it shows that he's willing to sacrifice anyone for the sake of his mission, putting him at odds with Dante which leads to a sweet boss fight.
Unfortunately I have no faith in NT to make a sweet boss fight, since it would have to be at least as good as the previous games humanoid bosses. Nelo Angelo, Vergil, and Credo are been my favorite bosses, it'd be hard for another game to match that (since it's not a true DMC).
Oh Credo.....that boss fight is the only reason I fire up DMC4 every now and then. Well, that and the Dante fight.

Feb 28, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Plus, how do you make Vergil and not get his original voice actor?
When you're going out of your way to piss off a large, dedicated fan base.

Why is this even a reboot and not just a new IP? I would be alright with a demon-slaying duo of brothers who weren't an attempt to suck the life from a good, existing franchise by taking its name.

Capcom, why do you keep soiling our friendship garden?

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
lolwut?
I'm a guy who's never even touched a Devil May Cry game and I hate this already. This could be a new IP, instead they choose to ride the name familiarity all the way to the bank. Inb4 original skins are sold as DLC.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
cgentero said:
Honestly these people cant act(or maybe it just the script), still the levels look pretty at least.
Really? I dont care much about DMC (never played one and dont plan on doing) but do you really think that the acting in this one is worse then the one on the previous games? I understand people complaining about the switch of tone and the other stuff related to it but jesus... the previous DMCs acting falls under that really lame and cheesy acting category

It is arguable that the voice acting in the previous games suited the tone of those games (I know that there is a fight where one of the main characters holds a pizza) but since the tone of the game has changed it would be retarded to have that voice acting in a game that tries to be more serious.

For what it seems to be it sounds very natural voice acting to me

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I feel physically sick after that. Christ, if you're going to reboot an awesome character (A really really really awesome character), the general consensus is to make him MORE awesome.

What the fuck is this!? It's like they're splurging everything they know about Devil May Cry (which seems to consist of the names of characters and nothing else) into this abomination. A more tactful approach would be to have him hidden until the very end, then a secret ending involving the unmasking, then boom, sequel material.

But nope, we get this shit. I'm half-expecting Trish as Dante's pet cat or something. Seriously, I know Capcom are at war with logic, but come on!

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Speaking of DMC - holy fucking shit I'd forgotten how soon the boss rush comes after you regain control of Nero. One fight with 4 Biancos and an Alto then that's it, all bosses.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Pearwood said:
Speaking of DMC - holy fucking shit I'd forgotten how soon the boss rush comes after you regain control of Nero. One fight with 4 Biancos and an Alto then that's it, all bosses.
I feel they kinda fucked up by not letting us fight against Credo again during that boss rush part.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
anthony87 said:
I feel they kinda fucked up by not letting us fight against Credo again during that boss rush part.
I think the bigger fuckup is not having a nice easy mission beforehand to let you get the hang of playing Nero again. Might not be as big a problem for some people but my Nero and my Dante have completely different control setups :(

But yes. More Credo would be very welcome. I have not beheld the power of an angel in a very long time.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ugh... I try to give this game a chance... maybe Dante will have a character arc over the game, maybe the combat will still keep the fluid controllable chaos of the old games, maybe not all the dialogue will be as bad as the boss fight preview, maybe Vergil will have a good character arc now too...

There's far too many things that will need to come together for this to be good and I don't think they have all of it in mind.

Jan 13, 2012
Jesus people! It's a re-imagining not a bloody sequel. They can change characters and do what they want.

Okay the, on topic, I've never played a DMC game before but this is keeping me interested. Vergil's design looks cool but I still think Dante looks like a douche.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Wait, what happened to the man driven to acquire power to compensate for his inability to protect his mother as a child? I'm onto you! Who are you and what did you do to Vergil? I'm not fooled by your white slick backed hair and katana, you're not Vergil!

Where did the cool, collected and bad ass but ultimately broken man we all know and love go? Probably the same place his sarcastic, snarky, confident demon ass kicking brother went.

Ah well, this might be interesting, and pretending it's a new IP and not a Devil May Cry game (even a reboot) may even make it bearable.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Joining in with the anti-new Vergil crowd. So, that brings Ninja Theory DmC screw ups now to:

• 1 - Flip-flopping over the actual status of DmC. It has been confirmed, so far, as a reboot, an origin story and/or some sort of parallel dimension canon thing.

2 - Poor, cliched story with standard shit dropped in as and when needed. Shadowy Illuminati-esque organization (with a bonus of the most generic name possible), a so far seemingly shoe-horned love interest sub-plot, yadda yadda.

3 - Characters who share enough bits to be called Dante and Vergil but have none of the good qualities of either.

4 - Removal of the fun, cheesey and narm-worthy dialogue that made the Devil May Cry series have that B-Movie charm.

5 - Well and truly terrible voice acting.

6 - Slower, choppy, easily-abused and broken combat system; nice to see we're stepping away from stylish and imaginative combos for a SS rank, guys.

Oh, wait, it does have pretty levels though. Well geez, thank you ever so much. What a consolation.

I really, really want Ninja Theory to do well; I honestly do. I want DmC to be wonderful, to prove me completely wrong and to be a brilliant and shining addition to the series. So far, nothing looks set to do this. Sadface-ing so hard right now :(

Here's the thing. Ninja Theory, get back the proper voice actors, especially for Vergil. A tiny bit of tweaking (like, enough to stop being able to spam the same attack for a high rank sort of tweak) can sort the combat. A little bit more imagination with regards to the story would be perfect, and a taking the game a tad less seriously could do a whole lot to helping to ease the transition from the old series to the new. I'm not saying turn the game into what the series has already done - really, by all means, explore new possibilities with the games. That's good. That's what innovation is all about. But sometimes, you do need to listen to your fanbase. Make tiny changes that give a slightly better connection to the originals and it'll be accepted a whole lot better than it is now, seriously. Fans like to be acknowledged, and just because there's a whole lot of whining doesn't mean that it's not all legitimate complaints.