Video game genre you grew out of .

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
JRPG's.

I fought with myself for years but I am tired of fighting this simple fact, JRPG's are not for me anymore.

I started losing interest after the PS1 era but the PS1 era was where the problems began. The problems are:

- long battle animations and battle intros, these are to cover up loading but they can turn a 10 second battle into a minute long battle and that adds up over the course of 1000 battles.
- load times to get in and out of menus, in a JRPG, you will open the menu alot.
- cutscenes, it was cool in 1997 but quickly became a problem as cutscenes got longer on the PS2
- bad storytelling/translations, I am not sure why my tolerance for this has decreased over time because I didn't mind it in the SNES/PS1 eras.
- purposely making the battle system more complicated than it needs to be, the DJinn system in the Golden Sun games is just too complicated for it's own good but that's just one example. Also I should mention that in Final Fantasy VII Square didn't reveal how the Limit levels worked. Did they think this would add depth? By now you can find that information online but you won't find it in the game manuals or the strat guides written for the game.

I have just taken up an interest in FPS after wasting hundreds and hundreds of dollars on JRPG's only to find that I can't finish them because they bore me. Even the old ones that I used to love I can't complete anymore.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Racing games, I used to have a ton of those, and at some point racing games were my favourite genre. Now I only have NFS 5 Porsche Unleashed, I still play it from time to time but never more than an hour.

Matrixbeast

Sep 18, 2010
JRPGs for me as well.
-The constant need to grind
-Forced difficulty in the form of sparse items (Ex. Building a certain weapon or getting a certain spell would probably require to find a rare item that is only dropped 1% of the time from an enemy that only appears 5%)
-Long cutscenes that tends to consist of characters sitting around talking about stuff that doesn't really add much to the plot.
-Character designs ranging from horribly mismatched belts, straps and jackets to retardedly over-the-top.
-Characters themselves tend to be fairly cliche and obvious.
-Even with hour long cutscenes, the story is generally cut 'n paste.
-Excessively complicated battle/magic/leveling system in an attempt to "1-Up" competitors/their previous games that leads to increased annoyances for players
-Too much angst
-Fanservice characters, for me, have stopped being 'sexy' and have gone into the realm of 'slutty anime *****' at this point.
-Stupid hair.

The only JRPG that I even play nowadays is Pokemon.

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
Sandbox games. I loved GTA3, and Vice City, but the more I saw of the genre after that, the more I felt like I had seen all it had to offer. I'll also include Daggerfall/Morrowind as games I liked of a very similar genre, and dislike all the present-day successors due to flaws I felt they never improved on.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Sandbox games, I used to like the freedom, but nowadays I just find it boring and the emphasis on "make your own fun" rather than enjoying a well structured game just leaves me bored. Maybe its because I don't have that good an imagination for coming up with all the crazy stuff people on youtube seem to

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Turn based combat games, waiting to play the game while playing is just tedious bullshit.
I noticed it's also why I hate regen health so much, because the difference between easy and "rape you in the ass" difficulty is howmuch time you spent hiding.

Other then that racing, sports, and fighting games only hold my interest for an hour tops, and I'll never spend 60$ on one.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Platformers, and especially 2D platformers. Nowadays I have next to no interest to play retro games like Mario or Metroid, just because that just isn't good enough for me anymore.

Also, it's not a genre, but I just have no interest interest in "nostalgia" stuff. And this is why I have no interest in what Nintendo does nowadays.

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
FPS most jarringly but pretty much most modern games tbh. the only recent 3d title to spark any interest was WH40K space marine and that was mainly because fanboyism made me go a bit weak at the knees over its perfect rendition of the 40k 'verse, the actual gameplay is fun but nothing super spectacular even though its probably the best 3rd person shooter i've played. (not counting SSFIV because its not really 3D and super turbo is still better)

the game i've played most lately is metal slug 2 which to my mind is far better both in gameplay and graphics to any of yer gray/brown shooters.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
FPSs... They're just so hard to get into nowadays.. They're all the same.. I even have trouble playing the unique and good ones..

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
MMORPG's, I always tried to play whatever free ones I could find when I was a kid. Now I realize they aren't worth the time would I could be playing real RPG's. I don't think I've grown out of JRPG's though. I still play the ones I want to play. I used to love Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and Mario RPG's, I now love Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and Mario RPG's. Nothing's changed there...

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
definitly jrpgs. Im surprised to see so many people agreeing with me. It seems you cant throw a rock in this forum without hitting a massive jrpg fan. Its not that i hate the genre, i just havent wanted any of the jrpgs on offer. Maybe its just to do with me getting older and no longer identifying with teenage protagonists(or however you spell that)

kordan11

Jul 31, 2008
Sports and racing. I remember playing FIFA 98 Road to World Cup till my eyes bled, and I am actually ashamed of the time I spent playing Gran Turismo 3 and getting all golds. Now, I might be interested enough to play one match on PES11 or a couple of laps of burnout, but i never actually buy these types of games anymore.

And kinda the same for RTS games, although I still enjoy playing the good ones.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Grew out of racing games years ago, Need for Speed: Carbon was probably the last one I got. I can't see any real appeal to them besides maybe multiplayer, and even then I imagine that one needs to be at least somewhat of a racing enthusiast.

Come to think of it, a similar thing happened with sports games. Though I could probably find it entertaining to play a game of FIFA or two against a mate, I just don't see a reason to play it on my own or online anymore.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
I have grown out of JRPGs and am losing interest in turn-based games. They used to be great for me, but now I guess theres just a lot better out there.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
FPS's are starting to bore me a little. I don't think I've played a decent one since... I don't even know?!

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm also going to sound off with Jrpgs. They were like half of the titles on owned on psx era somewhere during the last generation it waned pretty dramatically. Now, I don't play them at all.