Video Games can be art? PROVE IT!

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
READ THIS RIGHT NOW: I THINK VIDEO GAMES CAN BE ART!

Ok, let's say your at work or school and some person runs up to you and says "Hey nerd, I heard you like stupid video games. THEY CAN'T BE ART LOSER!"

Now instead of beating this person's face to the ground, you say in a calm voice "I disagree. Video games can be art, they can have great stories, and can have great meaning."

The person scoffs, and says "Ok nerd, show me one game, ONE GAME, that can change my mind."

So, what game would you pick and why?

Apr 28, 2008
I would pick none, tell him I don't care, then laugh at him for trying to get me angry over such a petty and pointless argument that neither side will ever win.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I wouldn't, because someone that ignorant can't be conviced by any type of logic.

However, if pressed, I would say BioShock. The depth, the story, the plot twist...but mostly because of the emotional response the game invokes.

And isn't emotion what art is about in the first place??

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
When I think of art I don't think of stories I think of my past art class.
I then think of all of the s**t I made 'cause it was damn ugly.
This means good art must look good.
And in that repect I would say the game Flower is art.

Then again art is subjective is it not so lot's of things could be art to a person and nothing to another.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Anything can be art, a broken toilet with a turd in it was sold for £150 as modern art (Most likely titled "the struggle of man" or somthing?). If thats art then something that actually takes time and effort to create can surly be art as well.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Metroid Prime.

Really, it mixes Beautiful Environments, Awesome Creatures, Incredible Music, and an Atmosphere of being all alone and Badass and creates one of the best games iv ever played.
Then id would show him the Designs for the Environments and Creatures.
There really good.

stiborge

Sep 23, 2009
Well it seems pretty futile to argue the point with whoever this is by I think I would have to go Shadow of the Colossus as tipical as that may be. It's not only a really good game (one of my favorites) but it also has beautiful set pieces and the design of the colossi is amazing. It's also something that could only work as a game. If you tried to recreate that story as anything besides a game it would fail horribly. Possibly also take in Okami, just the astetics of the game and the feel of that game and it's not even one of my favorites (I liked the game but by not one of my favorites I mean like it's not top 10 or 20).

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
well, does it matter whether they are art?
Games are to be enjoy, not stared at.

But if hes going up my arse about it, I show him
a)Bioshock (although pray he never heard of the second)
b)Portal (its a hard one to explain, though)

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
Shadow of the Colossus? im kinda tired of typing those words over and over again, so instead. Okami its art design is arty and the everything else is well programmed to be a fun game.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Iffat Nur said:
well, does it matter whether they are art?
Games are to be enjoy, not stared at.

But if hes going up my arse about it, I show him
a)Bioshock (although pray he never heard of the second)
b)Portal (its a hard one to explain, though)
I liked the 2nd bioshock, true it dident need to be made, but it was still a blast and the story was sweet.

OT: How many times to i have to say it? OKAMI!

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
I wouldn't, because someone that ignorant can't be conviced by any type of logic.

However, if pressed, I would say BioShock. The depth, the story, the plot twist...but mostly because of the emotional response the game invokes.

And isn't emotion what art is about in the first place??
That is the game I was thinking myself. The game itself is like a housing for more art, what with the period music and various takes on culture fit to Rapture.

Really though, I would simply be inclined to calmly slap the person ("No, no, no. With the back of the hand!") and explain to them that art is subjective and therefore it would be a waste of time for myself and said twat to discuss personal opinions on what constitutes as art.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Red Dead Redemption.

It has a theme, the concept of death, and symbolism.

I just broke all three of Roger Ebert's main "video games can't be art" points.