Video Games can be art? PROVE IT!

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Anything creative is art.

But since the guy probably thinks that only paintings are art, i'll show him Okami or something.

gjendemsjo

May 11, 2010
thatguy779 said:
gjendemsjo said:
There's alot of great examples:
Mass effect 1 & 2
Bioshock
Red dead Redemption
Portal
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Braid
Heavy Rain
Prince of persia: the sands of time
Limbo
Silent Hill 2
Those are the ones I can think of right now, though there are plenty more.
How about Alan Wake?
Sorry, forgot about that one ;D(which is retarded, considering that I completed that game today actually)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I think The Path wins this thread. It's visuals are great, and it really makes you think both during and after the game, not to mention the emotional aspect when playing as each, entirely different, Red Riding Hood in turn. Definitely art in games (take THAT, Roger Ebert!).

Oh, and just as a quick plug here (not something I've done, but something I found), for the same sort of idea but in a Flash-based, 1-bit colour (almost) setting, I highly recommend you all try out Kongregate's 'Looming'... :D

Jun 26, 2009
FFX, loved every moment of that game. Mirrors edge, that whole game was a art style. Oh yeahand portal.mainly for still alive.
Either way art is subjective so whatever I say I would be correct.

Ultra_Caboose

Aug 25, 2008
AnOriginalConcept said:
I would say, "Give me a definition of art that does not involve subjectivity."
I'd have to agree with this. Whether or not something is art relies solely on who is looking at it.

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd have to go with Little Big Planet.

piratesas

Jan 28, 2009
AnOriginalConcept said:
I would say, "Give me a definition of art that does not involve subjectivity."
I doubt such a thing exists. I myself go by the rule: anything that challenges me to think about my views and position in todays culture/society can be classified as art. As opposed to things that are merely made for the sole purpose of entertaining me/invoking emotion. I seem to be a loner on this point in this thread though (every seems to be of the opinion that invoking emotion is art) but to clarify:
A pretty picture is not necessarily art, nor does art have to be pretty.

So yes, there's plenty of games out there I would classify as art. Shadow of the Colossus is the best example I can think of atm.

Also, someone in this thread mentioned the infamous toilet-art. Honestly, if you don't know the circumstances of the time it was made in, it's rather strange to be making judgement about it's status as (non-)art. It wasn't so much the toilet that was the art, it was the fact it was placed in a museum (unheard of before), making the museum the framing and posing the question whether or not this was true of all art. It's probably one of the most well-known examples of modern art challenging the established rules and conventions (it's still a toilet though, pretty it will never be).

/highbrow

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
There are tons of games with beautiful graphics, and tons of games with moving storylines. People who seriously make the "games aren't art" argument tend to dismiss these as games simply coopting other forms of media, and therefore have no artistic meaning on their own.

Therefore I'd look to games where the gameplay mechanics themselves are designed to evoke emotion and thought within the player. There are also plenty of games like this but <a href=http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/one-step-back>this one i just discovered the other day. The game is about reflecting on your past mistakes, and learning to avoid them, and that's exactly how you play the game. <a href=http://www.kongregate.com/games/2DArray/the-company-of-myself>The Company of Myself does something similar.

Again there's plenty of other games that do similar things. Personally, when I played The World Ends With You, I found my feelings towards Neku's partners reflected the difficulty of the game for me:
When i first started playing, Shiki was really annoying and I had a tough time adjusting to the dual-screen combat. As her character developed she grew on me, and while this was happening I was getting the hang of the game. Then she got replaced by Joshua, who was a huge dick and SUCKS when you first meet him. Then all of sudden he busts out god powers and turns awesome, in terms of both story and gameplay. Finally Beat seems really badass when he first joins, but you learn he has weaknesses and vulnerabilities, and the game gets much harder as you approach the end of the game.

Obviously that's just my own subjective experience, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to feel the way I did about it. (Even if it is the greatest DS game of all time.) It illustrates the kind of point i'm trying to make about games, though.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
Right, because the opinion of some random and clearly malicious idiot trying to put down my hobby is someone I want to take seriously and even engage in a conversation with.

besides, we all know that in the end, the whole debate on whether or not game is art is often a matter of semantics. Said theoretical dissenter's assertion that games can't be art says more about his perception of art than about the quality that videogames possess.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Either way art is subjective so whatever I say I would be correct.
I'm not bashing the whole "games are art" argument, and I'm not singling you out. I'm just using what you said to go on a side tangent.

"Subjective" does not mean one can call anything art and have it be true. There are rules to art, just like everything else. I don't care what monstrosity someone sold on eBay as their "masterpiece" and what nut bought it; you can't just bend some wire around a birdhouse and say, "yeah, it's art, because art is subjective."

Well, you can say that. You can say whatever you want, but it won't make it true.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Portal.

Although my response would be "Who gives a shit if they're art or not anyway? And why should I give a shit what you think?"

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
I think games are not art. The game itself is not one big work of art, but the components within are definitely art.

You have the graphics. Games like Okami and Yoshi's Island are works of art visually.
you have the music. I don't need to tell you of all the great music in video games.

Games themselves are not works of art but they are made of art... hope that makes sense.

Bananahs

Nov 18, 2009
Art has become slang to the gaming industry, there's no metric for it. Yes, art doesn't have a metric, but the reaction to it does. Crying from happiness/sadness are polar opposites for instance.

I believe games are serious entertainment, which can exhibit artistic expression or elements whenever they put their mind to it. Much in the way film is.

Games can be art, the full industry can never be one of artistic merit, neither can any output of creative industry. I wouldn't call the actual art 'arts' an industry.