Video Games can be art? PROVE IT!

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
loudgeek said:
Iffat Nur said:
Games are to be enjoy, not stared at.
In a discussion about games and their role as art, this argument is strangely shifted. You make so that, in your words, staring cannot provoke some enjoyment? An art lover must indeed receive some joy of "staring" at a painting as you do in killing zombies or nazis.
Im just saying, if your idea of art is in the sense that it is a painting of some sort, it would definitely make art just a thing to stare at. You can enjoy art, otherwise your imagination really, really sucks.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/artgames.html
Some games are made and exhibited as art. The intent isn't necessarily to provide the player with a challenge or addictive mechanic, but rather to convey a message, elicit an emotion or create a memorable experience. ~ Newgrounds

I would show them this. And then go on to show them some of the games on the list.
Besides, who said the games had to be non-Flash games?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'd just hand them a book of essays of the great art critics of the past century and them to figure it out themselves.

Seriously, people who don't know the first thing about art need to shut the fuck up about it.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
zombiejoe said:
READ THIS RIGHT NOW: I THINK VIDEO GAMES CAN BE ART!

Ok, let's say your at work or school and some person runs up to you and says "Hey nerd, I heard you like stupid video games. THEY CAN'T BE ART LOSER!"

Now instead of beating this person's face to the ground, you say in a calm voice "I disagree. Video games can be art, they can have great stories, and can have great meaning."

The person scoffs, and says "Ok nerd, show me one game, ONE GAME, that can change my mind."

So, what game would you pick and why?
Echochrome. It's MC Escher, but taking it to the logical conclusion in a way that wasn't possible before video games.

reyttm4

Mar 7, 2009
I wish people would actually answer the question in this thread as apposed to saying what they'd do in the situation.

I'd go for Silent Hill.

gjendemsjo

May 11, 2010
There's alot of great examples:
Mass effect 1 & 2
Bioshock
Red dead Redemption
Portal
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Braid
Heavy Rain
Prince of persia: the sands of time
Limbo
Silent Hill 2
Those are the ones I can think of right now, though there are plenty more.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Arisato-kun said:
Okami

I believe nothing else needs to be said.
Hmm... I might've gone with that... but I think I'd probably say "Shadow of the Colossus" or "Silent Hill 2"... of course... given the kind of person the OP said we're dealing with... I think these kind of games will go over his/her head.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Tell him "Fuck off, you little tosser" and carry about my day. They're the kind of jackass that thinks art is shitty paintings in museums, and that all shitty paintings are art.

Sometimes people are so predisposed to a certain point of view that it would take effort for me to change their mind, and I don't have time for that.

Agent_Nahmen_Jayden

Jun 28, 2010
I'd ask him if movies were a form of art. If he would say yes I would hand him Heavy Rain. Not the same thing, but pretty damn close.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009

Tell me, did you ever hear of a little title by the name of Deus Ex? No? Then I don't rightly think you're an authority on the subject; and for the matter, I don't wrongly think that either.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
well after i made him know my mighty nerd rage:) id show him uncharted 2 but then the dumb ass would probly think it was a movie......ill go with mass effect 2 then:)

thatguy779

Aug 20, 2010
BIOSHOCK ALL THE WAY! Instead of just being another gritty war shooter,the game industry brought out something better.Bioshock had some real class.

thatguy779

Aug 20, 2010
gjendemsjo said:
There's alot of great examples:
Mass effect 1 & 2
Bioshock
Red dead Redemption
Portal
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Braid
Heavy Rain
Prince of persia: the sands of time
Limbo
Silent Hill 2
Those are the ones I can think of right now, though there are plenty more.
How about Alan Wake?

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
I would be a philosophical douche and ask him to define art and ask him to explain to me why a painting/movie/sculpture/piece of music can be called art. Once I had his criteria, then I would show him a game that proved that games may fulfilled said criteria.