Videogames as Art

Woem

May 28, 2009
But how about these artisti games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100326-Art-Game-Guru-Brings-Collection-to-DSiWare]? :/

Sep 4, 2009
I've not heard of Roger Ebert before or his views on gaming, so I'm going to have to leave my torch and pitchfork in the back garden and postpone the witchhunt until I read up on this...

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
I'm in agreement here - frankly who cares what a FILM CRITIC thinks and secondly it's one of those 'if we want your opinion, we'll ask for it' scenarios. Each to their own.

I think video games can be beautiful and entertaining to look at - that could say it's art, yes. But I don't care if some Twatty McGuff says it isn't, he won't ruin my afternoon by saying that.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
ostro-whiskey said:
Uncompetative said:
ostro-whiskey said:
This is the first time Yahtzee has made himself look like a moron, I think hes ego has gotten the better of him.

Videogames are not art for one simple reason, videogames are directly participatory, as such they are entertainment. If an artist relinquishes his art to free tampering by the audeince he is no longer an artist.

When an artist creates a piece of work everything has an implication and the audience simply observe, this immutability allows us to enter the mind and world of the artist.

Videogames remove this immutability, allowing the audience to interact with the world and story, cheapening them by revealing that they are an illusion we can manipulate. As such videogames kill the connection between character and story.
Improvisation Theatre is considered art and that is interactive.
But not through the audience, please put more thought into what you say.
The artist/collaborators do not need to have a total stranglehold on the text of a performance to ensure that the 'play' conveys/explores the pre-determined theme. In many ways the work can become more persuasive by moving away from dogmatic monologue to quasi-dialogue. There is some evidence that Shakespeare's plays were 'aware' of the audience when they were originally performed, although to a lesser extent.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Good article, but fails for the same reason Ebert failed: made the mistake of trying to define what art is. Okay, so he (Yahtzee) qualified it by saying it was his "personal" definition of art, but it's still a definition.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
In agreement with what was stated in this article I point you all towards Allen Kaprow's "Happenings"
if you read about them you say WTF?
but participating in them is an entirely different experience

Eener101

Apr 29, 2010
Adding to the back of the thread so not sure if anyone will actually read this, but here goes (And if it seems to long to read, just skip to the final paragraph):

First off, saying videogames will never be art is a stupid statement. Games are an interactive audiovisual medium. When the camera was first invented, every critic said that photographs could never be art, and then movies came and pretty much the same happened. Look where we are now. Just because games have for the past 30 years been made solely as an entertainment product does not mean the medium does not have the possibillities to be art in the right hands, made with the right intent (an artist using the medium to express himself/herself artistically)And 300 years ago, Marcel Duchamps urinoir would never ever have qualified as art, so maybe its just that we are looking at this wrongly and with prejudices on what art is?

Further more, when Ebert, or anyone, wants to catagorize a game as art, how does he qualify it as such? Should you be looking at the graphical aspect? Maybe the sound and musical aspect? With the advancements in computer technologies we sure are able to produce more detailed graphics and more lifelike sounds, but is that what games as an artform should be about? Oh wait, visuals are an artform in and of itself, so is music. To me, games as art would qualify on a combination of those coupled with the interaction with and by the player, or the concept of the game itself. The thought of games as art also does not seem to be very old either and during my time in art school, pretty much none of my fellow students really played games for anything else then entertainment or even thought of using them in an artsy way or would have had the skills to do so. Sure, they used games as an inspiration, but never as a direct medium on it's own. So maybe it just has to grow still with artists finally getting out of only painting and photgraphy and seeing the potentials in this medium.

And my final word: There IS already an example for a game as art!: "You have to burn the rope" would be an art studies textbook example of a video game as art! I'm to tired to write out an analysis on why exactly, but check it out and compare it to what Marcell Duchamp's "Fountain" did in the art world. You have to burn the rope is avant garde, in videogameform.

Long write, long read, hope it was worth it. My 2 cents

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
derelix said:
oktalist said:
Good article, but fails for the same reason Ebert failed: made the mistake of trying to define what art is. Okay, so he (Yahtzee) qualified it by saying it was his "personal" definition of art, but it's still a definition.
What's wrong with explaining what it is? Do you really think "art" is some magical elusive thing that can never be defined?
Magical, no. Elusive, yes. Impossible to properly define, yes.

derelix said:
If it can't be defined, how is it even a word?
Words do not need to be well-defined in order to be words. A dictionary is just a list of words in common usage, with flawed attempts to define their meanings.

I guess what I have a problem with is when people attempt to codify their own understanding of what art is and what it is not, and try to pass this off as universal truth or impose it on others.

Perhaps it would be more productive of me to say, instead of "art is undefinable", rather "art is undecidable". That is, it is impossible to decide whether X is or is not art, for any value of X.

I point to my previous post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.189265.5929097] in the comments thread from the News Room.

derelix said:
FoolKiller said:
If we can't define something like "ice cream", then "art" is basically out of the question.
It's a semi frozen dairy product, you can get it in different flavors.
Which also covers frozen yoghurt.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
oktalist said:
derelix said:
FoolKiller said:
If we can't define something like "ice cream", then "art" is basically out of the question.
It's a semi frozen dairy product, you can get it in different flavors.
Which also covers frozen yoghurt.
Thanks for the backup there. Also, there is such a thing as non-dairy ice cream :) I don't get flustered by being put on the spot, it's just not as easy as you think.

The point that I was trying to make is that you will never be able to objectively define art when things such as ice cream, which is a physical thing, is rather difficult to define.

Eener101

Apr 29, 2010
Despite a lot of people saying that we can't define "Art", we can to a very big degree. The problem is that it needs more indepth knowledge of art(an art study is really a study in and of itself, you can't read up on it and inform yourself in a weekend's time and have a really meaningfull opinion) and that the definition changes somewhat over time so you have to keep up. What was Art 30 years ago is still art now, but if you make the exact same thing nowadays, you aren't really being contemporary unless you do it really really wel and ad a new twist. My teachers at art school knew the heart and soul of what art is, yet at the same time they were stuck to much on what art was in their time, 20-30 years ago.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Nice article, but he shouldn't have given a definition (HIS definition) for art. If art was so easy to define there wouldn't have been a branch in philosophy called aesthetics.

There ain't no way that games can ever compare themselves to Bernini's "Rape of Proserpine" or "Apollo and Daphne". It's not the same experience.

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
The Deadpool said:
Cryofthewolf said:
or on what bugs are good to eat smart?
A human is better equipped to find out what bugs are good to eat than a frog. Frogs live limtted lifespans, in limited areas, with a limited choice of bugs to eat, and they pick which ones they want on instinct.

Humans have access to the entire world, meaning several thousand more bugs to examine than any one frog would have, and we're far more capable of determining nutrional value than a frog's instincts.

So to bring your red herring back to the original point via illustration: Your opinion is wrong.

Edit: And for the record, I didn't mention comparing frogs to HUMANS, I said comparing it to every other animal on the planet and judging them the smartest. slightly different.
No, nothing was proven by that. What I wrote was a small example not based off of any scientifical fact. It was an example to show you that perspective is everything.

If you are having a debate with somebody you need to determine that you are on the same footing with the other person. For example, with the 'I am a god' example one would have to determine that the man in question meant when he used the word 'god'. If he is saying that he is a god in the sense that Jesus or Osiris is a god he would be wrong. He doesn't fit the qualifications of what a god in that sense is. Omnipresent, all-knowing, etc. But that doesn't rule out the possibility that he was using different qualifications on what a god is. He could possibly be right.

Let's look at the example of the world being flat. Do we know what flat is to everyone? Could someone else's flat be different than how you or I concieve flat? In the sense of flat that you talk about you are right; the world isn't flat. (nor is it really completely round, for that matter.) To someone else though the world could be flat as a pancake and they would be absolutely right.

This isn't just some crazy new-age thinking going on. It isn't just thrown out there so people can say 'hey, everyone is right!' It logically makes sense.

Puregrrr

Nov 21, 2009
I must say this is one of the most thought provoking and best articles I have read in a good spell. See everyone, Yahtzee is a squishy feeling person like all of us and not just a huge gallbladder dispensing bile.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
The only thing (and i mean literally THE ONLY THING) that irked me about the article was that ebert said that no one has been able to compare a video game with the works of the great novelists, painters, sculptors, etc. Hasn't "Bioshock" been compared to Ayn Rand's works multiple times?