Videogames Become Smellier Through New Accessory

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
*thinks about the games he plays*

Mass Effect... death, gun powder(maybe?) Chared flesh.. massive BO from body armor.. krogen farts... ah.. ehm. no thanks.

Batman, Arkuam Ass. alot of the same as above... a massive sewer levels... no thanks..

Pokemon, the wilderness could be nice i guess... maybe. But that's why we have glade plugins..

So, no... i think i'll pass. I'd be quicker to ware them stupid 3D glasses then i'd be willing to plug this thing in...

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Awesome! This seems really cool. Sure, things may smell bad, but it´ll still raise immersion!

I just hope it works for other games as opposed to only MMO;s. That´d be bad.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
Joshimodo said:
Daemascus said:
Remeber, if you s can smell the good, you can smell the bad... Do you really want to smell, say, zombies?
Exactly my question.
Idem. Though, if you can SMELL a zombie before he jumps out, you can be prepared. Then again, zombie levels will most definitely be completely swathed in zombie smell.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
This isn't really as stupid as everyone seems to think it is. Smell is a very powerful sense and can trigger emotional reactions and memories very well. Adding smell to the visuals and sounds of an environment in a game will make it many times more immersive.

What it is (for now at least) is impractical.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Worse, though: Conker's Bad Fur Day. I believe there's an entire mountain made of leavings.
Not only that, but one of the very first levels forces you to make cows have diarrhea... You wanna play?

OT: Neat concept, but like everyone has said, certain things will wreak.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Jesus! Is it just me or is this the stupidest fucking "innovation" ever seen?

Imagine how expensive they'd be, not to mention the cost of the cartridges of scents. It's like a printer that has no practical application... and smells like shit.

silverhawk100

Dec 17, 2009
Actually, my first reaction was: wow, we're now actually one step closer to Futurama being accurate. I never saw it/smelled it coming.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
is this really gonna happen? are people really that into a game that they want the artificial sent aswell to feel they are in a "GAME" this is ....

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
SomeBritishDude said:
So, what would happen in Mass Effect 2 if you probed Uranus?
You win the internet!

I dont think bieng able to smell games would work to well, dont grunts smell of vomit?

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
"Wow, I can't wait to smell my favorite games, like WoW, CoD, and Amnesia: The Dark Desce- WAIT NO NOT THAT ONE".

While I can kind of get why they would look into making this, I have to question how it's going to work. Because you will either have to buy a LOT of different cartridges, making it prohibitively expensive, or the machine will have to synthesize the smells itself. And if it's the latter, how good are the smells actually going to be? I've made a few fragrances in the lab before, and let me tell you, it's only "Strawberry" if you're in the right mindset.

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
Game technology is just becoming more and more immersive.

Maybe in the future we'll be playing COD 10- The Future Invasion and every time we get hit an arm appears out of the console and shots you in the foot with a 9mm.....

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I just watched the Bulletstorm review... So all I could think of was all those people getting blown apart, and electrocuted, and shot, and voiding their bowels... Don't want to smell that.
Ok, in all seriousness, it could be cool technology, it might even one day lead to super immersion! Right now, I doubt it will be that impressive. But hey, it's a start.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
This system failed for movies because it had several Problems. The Smells will give you a strong "artificial" feel, partly because you know they are and party because they mix with the scents of the room you're in.
Also, the smell will not just go away. You enter another area and the scent of the new area mixes with the new one. This could create an awful stench in games with fast travel systems.

In Movies, you could have slow moving scenes. Absolutely no "meanwhile at this completely different place:", no cuts to another location at all, unless the location smelled the same.

In Games, this would be even more restricting. "Please wait until the pinetree smell has cleared up before zoning so you can experience the Ashlands!".

Fans of certain games wouldn't buy this thing, not many people like the smell of sewers.
However, if this thing sells really well for some reason, maybe there will be less sewerlevels in games.

I doubt it. This technology has failed in the fifties and is now sold to accompany an interactive medium. So the weaknesses of the system can be even more jarring.

Unless someone finds a magical way to change the scent of a room in seconds without making it feel artificial, this wil be a niche product at best.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
You people have a really short memory!! Doesn't anyone remember the "CyberSniff 2000" from Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail!?!? Those were the days!... When you could smell anything from gardenias to beany farts, as well as mold and Venezuelan beaver cheese... ^_^

tehannihalator

Apr 6, 2010
Captain Booyah said:
It's fine and good advertising Pine Fresh and Salty Beach Air, but good Lord, imagine playing Silent Hill. 'Bring the smells of Decay, Rotting Flesh and Monster Rape straight to your home!' DO NOT WANT.

Then there's AssCreed, being historical, thus meaning 'Everything smells of shit and is covered with lice', and GTA, that industrial city smell...I could go on all day.
Imagine playing rapelay