"Videogames Cause Rape" Author Gets Amazonbombed

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
She looks like kind of a ***** in that picture...

I hate to judge someone by the way they look, but since I know she's a *****, I don't feel so bad for thinking it. Honestly though, if you didn't know who she was, wouldn't you agree that she does look kind of stuck up in that picture? When I look at that picture, all I see is "I think I'm better than you. Whatcha gonna do it about?"

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
WAIT! She made a book about how women should use their sexuality to get ahead, and meanwhile said video games cause rape? Wtf is wrong with her?!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Stilt-Man said:
This isn't Karma; it's retaliation. It's also ridiculous. We should try to be above reproach, and show Dr. Carole, FOX News, and their respective viewers WHY they are wrong, in a rational manner; not just react and try to get her book a bad rating. My mind boggles at this "Amazonbombing" (cute term), and is further boggled that it's being celebrated. WHAT? We have no right to whine and lament about video games and its community never being taken seriously when we're pulling this kind of childish crap.
Uhh have you read any of the reviews? Most of them have nothing to do with Faux news and are actually based on what she wrote in her book. I know shocking isn't it. That maybe blaming (or giving credit too) gamers for her being "amazonbombed" is wrong. Could be that her own appearance on Faux news boosted her public appearance and that is why she is getting an onslaught of negative reviews by people who actually read the book.

Though I did find it amusing to read the comments on some reviews that were not gaming based at all were getting slammed by someone claiming they were.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
The thing that makes me so angry about this whole bulletstorm thing, is not Fox news as we know they will say anything to advance their agenda, but this 'physiologist'.

I completely support free speech, but I don't support using you scientific credentials to spout outright lies as science fact. She can say whatever she wants, but not in her position of a physiologist. The American Psychological Association aught to take her psychology license away for abuse of the credential.

But I won't hold my breath.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Phyroxis said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Videogames Cause Rape" Author Gets Amazonbombed

Carole Lieberman [http://www.drcarole.com/home.htm], the author and psychologistiatrist who stirred up a whole lot of nerd rage recently when she told Fox News that videogames cause rape, is being Amazonbombed.
You've still got her name wrong. The link even says Dr. Carole. And shes a Psychiatrist, NOT a psychologist (there is a difference!).

++ On the amazonbombing. Shes incredibly arrogant and is not exactly a scientist. Way to make psychologists (which she is not, but people keep calling her) look bad.
More proof that psychiatrists give psychologists a bad name.
OP: Same thing happened with the author from the "SexBox" scandal. You can't really be surprised.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
rayen020 said:
Oh, but wouldn't it be great though. FOX brings her back on to talk about how gamers attacked her for speaking out against them? Then she'd attack us. She would, in a way, flame us. imagine flaming gamers en masse. oh the horrors that would befall her.
I would pay good, legal tender just to watch the ensuing shitstorm.

tenny20ca

Sep 18, 2008
I sent a respectful letter of protest to her. I doubt she'll read it. I would encourage everyone to do the same.

Dear Dr.Carole

My name is Tennyson. I'm 27 and married. My wife and I enjoy video games. We play them together and have a very happy and healthy relationship. We both enjoy violent (the many) and sexual(the few) games, Adult games. We have played and enjoyed games our entire life, we have played thousands of hours of games.

We are not rapists, we are not killers.

Violent crime is on a decline.
http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2010/12/20/fbi-violent-crime-continues-to-decline/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/24/AR2010052402210.html

Despite trying to link Violence to video games there is no link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversy

The average age of video game players is 40.
http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

You have recieved alot of "violent" backlash from people that enjoy video games. Keep in mind you threw the first stone.

How do you feel when you see reviews about your books contributing them to rape? Pretty mad? Really mad? That's what you did to about 50 million video game players. How did you expect them to react? I think it's really fitting that they review your book without reading it. It's like talking about video games without ever playing them.

Thanks for your time. I really hope you read this.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
tenny20ca said:
I sent a respectful letter of protest to her. I doubt she'll read it. I would encourage everyone to do the same.

Dear Dr.Carole

My name is Tennyson. I'm 27 and married. My wife and I enjoy video games. We play them together and have a very happy and healthy relationship. We both enjoy violent (the many) and sexual(the few) games, Adult games. We have played and enjoyed games our entire life, we have played thousands of hours of games.

We are not rapists, we are not killers.

Violent crime is on a decline.
http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2010/12/20/fbi-violent-crime-continues-to-decline/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/24/AR2010052402210.html

Despite trying to link Violence to video games there is no link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversy

The average age of video game players is 40.
http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

You have recieved alot of "violent" backlash from people that enjoy video games. Keep in mind you threw the first stone.

How do you feel when you see reviews about your books contributing them to rape? Pretty mad? Really mad? That's what you did to about 50 million video game players. How did you expect them to react? I think it's really fitting that they review your book without reading it. It's like talking about video games without ever playing them.

Thanks for your time. I really hope you read this.
Only problem being that if she was a rational human who believed in stats and facts she wouldn't have bullshitted on fox in the first place, me thinks you give her too much credit sir

tenny20ca

Sep 18, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
Only problem being that if she was a rational human who believed in stats and facts she wouldn't have bullshitted on fox in the first place, me thinks you give her too much credit sir
Perhaps but throwing insults at her won't do any good either. I don't like her playing the victim here. As I said above she threw the first stone. Now she's reaping what she sowed.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Treblaine said:
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:
Remember kids, psychology is more than saying "I'm a psychologist," then saying your opinion is fact because you're a psychologist.

In other news Karma is a *****
Shes a psychiatrist (med doctor first) not a psychologist. Shes trained in a totally different way.

That being said, your statement still holds true.
And that exactly is that difference?

My understanding is Psychologists is broader researched based and deals more with people who are mentally healthy and functional, such as why do people buy red fruit instead of green fruit or whatever.

Psychiatrists are more for people who - how would Dr Silberman put it - just plain nuts and need to be institutionalised. Or at least I think that's how it works.

But who would be more qualified to comment on how certain mass media affects rate of certain types of violent crime? Seems more epidemiological, more for Psychologist.
You got it. Psychiatrists come with the medical model, ie there is a cure and it is drugs. While psychologists focus more on therapy and more permanent treatments (ie giving tools to the client that they can use to get better).

Psychologists also focus a lot more on research and, as you suggest, are generally more credentialed to talk on issues relating to psychology. Psychiatrists are more credentialed to speak on issues of medicine and drugs.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Amazon better not touch the reviews that stay on topic and logically argue the books and their concepts. I can see deleting the uncivil troll posts, but removing anything else would be unnecessary censorship. That's what the reviews are for.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Looking at her website, she seems to be a real-life version of Umbridge. This may all be just a really weird and strangely-disguised Harry Potter fangirl troll ploy.

Anyone else notice that?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Phyroxis said:
Treblaine said:
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:
Remember kids, psychology is more than saying "I'm a psychologist," then saying your opinion is fact because you're a psychologist.

Shes a psychiatrist (med doctor first) not a psychologist. Shes trained in a totally different way.

My understanding is Psychologists is broader researched based and deals more with people who are mentally healthy and functional, such as why do people buy red fruit instead of green fruit or whatever.

Psychiatrists are more for people who - how would Dr Silberman put it - just plain nuts and need to be institutionalised. Or at least I think that's how it works.

But who would be more qualified to comment on how certain mass media affects rate of certain types of violent crime? Seems more epidemiological, more for Psychologist.
You got it. Psychiatrists come with the medical model, ie there is a cure and it is drugs. While psychologists focus more on therapy and more permanent treatments (ie giving tools to the client that they can use to get better).

Psychologists also focus a lot more on research and, as you suggest, are generally more credentialed to talk on issues relating to psychology. Psychiatrists are more credentialed to speak on issues of medicine and drugs.
So in a nutshell

Road to crazytown: Psychologist

Crazytown itself: Psychiatrists

"games turn you into rapist" sounds like the "road to" crazytown. I can also understand how someone who "works in Crazytown" dealing with psycho rapists and that sort can get a distorted perspective of the typical use of video games, like if she only sees psychos playing them.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
chewbacca1010 said:
tkioz said:
She all but called us, and me, a rapist. That can not stand, I'd punch someone who did that in real life regardless of gender. In my personal lexicon of insults rapist is the second lowest form of scum on the planet, just short of child molesters, rape is an evil that dwarfs murder, because it destroys a person, so not only did she call a large group of people I'm part of one of the most horrible things imaginable, doing so made light of one of the most disgusting crimes that can be committed.

It can not stand unchallenged.
She didn't call you or I or anyone else here specifically rapists, so simmer down. That you're taking this so personally is strange.

Besides, when someone insults you (in real life or otherwise), the mature thing to do is ignore it, not sling mud yourself. And if someone called you that in real life, you'd punch them? Where do you live, the Jersey Shore or some testosterone ridden night club? What the hell is wrong with you?

Honestly. Reasonable people don't clock others when they get called names. Grow the hell up.

[small]Also, rape doesn't dwarf murder by a wide fucking margin.[/small]
First off there is a difference between calling someone a dickhead, asshat, or moron, and calling them a rapist, or child molester, a vast difference.

Second, she said that games are responsible for a non-existent increase in rape, therefore implying that gamers are rapists, I'm a gamer, hence I'm offended at being called a rapist.

Thirdly I loath violence, it is never my first response, however unlike some people I understand that sometimes violence is the answer, it can be used to demonstrate a point, that you are not to be fucked with. The modern idea that violence never solves anything is stupid, it works fine, it shows people there is repercussions to actions, i.e be a jerk and get a sore jaw.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Treblaine said:
Phyroxis said:
Treblaine said:
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:

So in a nutshell

Road to crazytown: Psychologist

Crazytown itself: Psychiatrists

"games turn you into rapist" sounds like the "road to" crazytown. I can also understand how someone who "works in Crazytown" dealing with psycho rapists and that sort can get a distorted perspective of the typical use of video games, like if she only sees psychos playing them.
I doubt it. The only time a psychiatrist would see a client playing a video game is... well.. never.

This is just a case of someone being called as an "expert" but giving their personal opinion. She doesn't have empirical backing, therefore its just her opinion. Unfortunately the M.D. after her name makes some (undiscerning) people assume that what she's saying is fact.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Who honestly didn't see this one coming? I knew this was going to happen ^^

Now if you excuse me I've got a review to write...

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
HA.

Even funnier is that some idiot PR woman named Fiona Volpe carpet bombed the bad reviews with a form letter about the story, saying it caused "Emotional Turmoil". All of her posts were deleted by Amazon, sadly, so you can't read the form letter anymore.

Also, her book does sound like utter bs. One of the reviews said that the title should be "How to be a Prostitute". and after reading an excerpt online, I can't really disagree.