Villains you intentionally (or unintentionally) root for.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
laststandman said:
David Bowie (AKA Jareth the goblin king) in "Labyrinth"

Mostly because I love David Bowie as an actor.
I love it when he started singing. Its all like a regular movie (if you can call that kind of movie "regular") then its just like "SHUTUP EVERYONE, DAVID BOWIE IS SINGING!"

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
The Soviets from Red Dawn. Seriously, during the movie it gets mentioned that the Latin Americans have taken Texas and much of the Gulf Coast while the Russians took much of the Eastern and Western Seaboards plus Alaska. So, I ask you, where the hell is America getting oil from at that point? No Texas, No Gulf, No California, No Alaska, not even a port out east to ship foreign oil into. Hell, even if we could get it shipped in, we've lost all of our refineries. I don't care how stalwart the heroes are portrayed, if Russia has already gotten that far, then it's over. Either the Russians didn't get as far as the Colonel said they did, or the movie lied when they said the good guys won in the end. I'm not buying both.

In other news, I hope the remake doesn't suck.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
AngelicSven said:
Aizen from Bleach, I find Ichigo a brainless cookie-cutter protagonist.
I loathe Aizen. But I loathe Ichigo too. So in the Bleach series I root for the hollow side of Ichigo to take over, destroy Ichigo and then destroy Aizen in an epic showdown.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Agayek said:
Mikeyfell said:
but they get results
What good are results if they go counter to what you're trying to accomplish in the first place?

Let's take your crime analogy.

Say someone, let's call them Bob, rapes and murders a young girl and desecrates her body before leaving it somewhere her family is guaranteed to find. In your search for this guy, you discover that he's hiding out in Chakkalakkistan in the basement of a hostel. Also in this hostel are a handful of civilians who have no idea who Bob is or what he's done.

And you've tried to get the government of Chakkalakkistan to arrest him for you, but they refuse to extradite him for whatever reason.

Your philosophy dictates that it is worthwhile, just, and all but necessary to engage in an act of war to find and kill this man. You would have two options: 1) send armed forces into a foreign country, likely starting a war, not to mention any deaths caused by the in-/ex-filtration of these forces or 2) drop a bomb on the hostel, killing an unknown number of completely innocent civilians.

The problem so many people forget about "The Ends justify the Means" is that, when all is said and done, the means are part of the end. You cannot kill a murderer for great justice, and at the same time murder an innocent person. It makes you a hypocrite and an idiot.
one of my comments said 90% makes it worth it, so that's not "all" costs
you left out the, 3) I could hire a skilled assassin to take him out with minimal collateral damage option.
anyone can make their point sound more appealing by leaving out happy middle ground options, that doesn't make you a criminal, and I'm sure anyone with a deathnote would know that.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
Death note is probably the hardest thing to separate into a good pile and bad pile
it's all a matter of your personal philosophy
I don't think Light was ever a bad person, I think he went crazy at the end from all the pressure of trying to create his perfect crime free world.
and I think worthy goals can excuse bad choices
It's very easy to separate into a "good" group and an "evil" group.

One group believes it justified to kill on a whim, the other does not.

And I shall leave you with a quote:

Adolf Hitler: Mein Kampf said:
I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.
In case you're wondering, Hitler was convinced his goals were worthy, even (so far as we know) when he killed himself.

J. MB

Nov 20, 2009
Revolver Ocelot. Of course, he always did win in his own way. The others just didn't realize it.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
My villain to root for is Welstiel from the Noble Dead saga of books. throughout the whole series everything he has done was ultimately so he wouldn't have to kill people anymore.
but this uninformed band of "heroes" decides they have nothing better to do than stop him.
I sympathized with him all the way through the series, but he was dubbed Villain because they never put his picture on any of the book jackets

Noble Dead saga, by Barb and J.C. Hendee.
read it... ReAd It....
then tell all those Twilight fans to read it, it'll let them know what vampires are supposed to be

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Initially I didn't like him but in the last few months suddenly I have grown to quite like Ripa Moramee from Halo Wars and considering his opposition was the loathsome John Forge I really wanted to see him pummel that Forge's head into mush and for the Elites charging at the Spartans to suddenly stop and just barrage them with plasma fire, reducing them all to charred carcasses.
And then they can take their fleet of Dreadnaughts and finish off the feeble human race.

So yes, Moramee was still a dick and deserved a dishonorable death but when compared to the unbearable douche that the game considered the 'hero' I decided to root for him.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Agayek said:
Mikeyfell said:
Death note is probably the hardest thing to separate into a good pile and bad pile
it's all a matter of your personal philosophy
I don't think Light was ever a bad person, I think he went crazy at the end from all the pressure of trying to create his perfect crime free world.
and I think worthy goals can excuse bad choices
It's very easy to separate into a "good" group and an "evil" group.

One group believes it justified to kill on a whim, the other does not.

And I shall leave you with a quote:

Adolf Hitler: Mein Kampf said:
I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.
In case you're wondering, Hitler was convinced his goals were worthy, even (so far as we know) when he killed himself.
so me thinking that Light killing criminals is a good thing, even if he happens to kill some innocents along the way is the same as Hitler thinking it's okay to kill Jews.

well. I can't win that argument....unless you're comparison isn't of me to Hitler but of criminals and Jews. I can pull underhanded crap too.
Mikeyfell said:
I think worthy goals can excuse bad choices
anyone with common sense will tell you that Jews are not a problem that need to be taken care of....anyone with the same amount of common sense will tell you that crime is a problem that needs to be taken care of.

are you trying to defend crime? what's going on here.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Sean Bean.

Because he's god damn Sean Bean, and he deserves not to die as the charismatic, evil bastard he is (in film).

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
Any villain who proposes a well-reasoned argument for their cause, follows through consistently, and takes in the bigger picture when going about their decisions. Especially if they maintain their integrity in the face of idealistic youth. Most villains are written to be easily provoked or one-dimensional, but tragic figures seeking vindication (Jon Irenicus, Judge Gabranth) or masterminds that see a better world ([can't think of one!]); perhaps even the cool antihero that provides balance to the PC's (Id). Someone who stands on their own and stays true to their beliefs.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
Bowser. Because dragons are awesome, and Bowser & Peach are still married dammit.

Humans in Avatar.

Wicked Witch of the West. (Go see the musical WICKED. It is wicked)

The girl in Hard Candy. :p

L. :p

Black Prett from NatchEvil (but let's face it, there's almost only villains to root for there)

... Does Zim count?

chronolos

Apr 20, 2009
I root for Dick Dastardly in "Catch the pidgeon" and "wacky races" and whatnot. REALLY old cartoons but his cliche villain style was kind of charming, and it the shows wouldve been much more entertaining had his plans come to fruition.

Illidan Stormrage in the warcraft universe. he started off with good intentions, but let jealously and megalomania get the best of him. The longer he is loose in the world, the more badass he becomes. He deserved a lot more exposure than his little fight in Black Temple in WoW.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
so me thinking that Light killing criminals is a good thing, even if he happens to kill some innocents along the way is the same as Hitler thinking it's okay to kill Jews.

well. I can't win that argument....unless you're comparison isn't of me to Hitler but of criminals and Jews. I can pull underhanded crap too.

Mikeyfell said:
I think worthy goals can excuse bad choices
anyone with common sense will tell you that Jews are not a problem that need to be taken care of....anyone with the same amount of common sense will tell you that crime is a problem that needs to be taken care of.

are you trying to defend crime? what's going on here.
You're not getting my point, perhaps intentionally.

I was trying to convey the idea that "worthy goal" is entirely subjective. What you perceive as a worthy goal could be just as fallacious as Hitler's goal of exterminating the Jew is.

If you really want to go the Death Note route, we can point out that Light had absolutely no assurance as to the actual guilt of his victims. Were they criminals? Maybe, but he had no evidence to support the idea. Someone gets arrested for a crime and before they're even tried he kills them.

Any society that views that as an acceptable form of law is going to fail. Matter of fact, in such a society if I wished to kill you, all I'd have to do is come up with mildly convincing evidence (ie, testify that I saw you leaving the premises and maybe plant some of your hair), then let the police kill you.

You can claim it's for a worthy goal all you like, but you have to face the facts that if such a system existed it would be abused, and it would get innocent people killed.

Essentially, your whole philosophy is for the innocent to bear the weight of any mistakes in the judicial system. That is unacceptable. Humans are human. They make mistakes. As soon as that happens, everyone involved becomes an accomplice for murder.

In the end, whatever your goal is, regardless of how "just" it is, there are consequences to every decision. I am not now, nor will I ever be, in support of any philosophy that allows those consequences to affect uninvolved persons.

Kraiiit

Aug 15, 2010
The Joker from The Dark Knight.

"Their rules are a bad joke, to be dropped at the first sign of trouble. You'll see... when the chips are down, these 'civilised' people? ..will eat each other."

"I'm not a bad person. I'm just ahead of the curve."

Kirix

Aug 19, 2009
About time someone mentioned The joker! Hey guys thing of it this way if you root for america in 80 years the america army will be like the Nazis of our time! So start hating early!

I root for Hellbourn aways!

ajb924

Jun 3, 2009
Aside from my avatar... I guess Claire Springfield from Baccano. Then again, he wasn't really a villian... Everyone's evil at one point or another in Higurashi... Damn, this is hard...
OH! Greed from FMA. Not Brotherhood, the original. He was my favorite character. I hoped to god he won the fight.
And in Paranoia Agent I was happy when "Shounen Bat" got people, but only because he set them free... Well, I was until the chief's wife explained that people needed to stop running... But, for the majority of the series I was rooting for the kid.
EDIT:
Oh, and in Umineko, I hope Beatrice won. I never finished, but I fucking HATED Batler. So, I hope she won.