Virtual Hotties

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Oh, you're clearly missing the important part -- Cortana is a sexual fantasy directed at straight men while Larry is a power fantasy directed at straight men. Don't you know how this works?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
What was that? Civil discussion? Humor?! FUN?! Not on our watch!

*stomp stomp stomp*

Now start blaming all of the problems with gaming on one demographic, and no more of that other crazy talk!

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
JCAll said:
Wasn't that Adam's job in Metroid Fusion.
You mean General Cockblock? Like he's going to authorize any sort of female or male fanservice, let alone drop his pants for the ladies!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
To be fair, Larry looks pretty reliable. The kind of AI that'd go out his way to make sure you were sorted, and likely to refer to you as "Boss".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I am glad that we exist in such a community that we can safely partake in a joke such as this without harsh words or overreactions.

Bolo The Great said:
NOTHING else? Well i guess there are 250 pages of Nothing else in the forum :p
I believe, as that Simpsons meme goes, "that's the joke."

Yeah. probably wise after some light ribbing in WGDF caused a massive riot (seriously i still don't see the anger that comic was funny) but i guess a news story that has some actual teeth wouldn't fit with their usual flippant style.
Personally, I found the civil discourse that arose from that thread to be quite stimulating and wholly refreshing.

thaluikhain said:
Eh, again, just make everyone a physically perfect nudist in the future and be done with it.
This would certainly work, given the overall reputation of the gaming community of having a very high level of maturity. I approve.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
MegaManOfNumbers said:
JCAll said:
You mean General Cockblock? Like he's going to authorize any sort of female or male fanservice, let alone drop his pants for the ladies!
In Fusion he wasn't much of a "cockblock", he was actually a decent character, but I guess I'd say something entirely different if the GBA's cartdridges had enough space for voice acting :/

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Well in fairness as a (mostly) straight male even I think games need more male eye-candy. There's enough female eye-candy to run the whole gamut of preferences/fetishes but for guys, I hope you like muscular white dudes 'cause that's what you're getting.

Honestly, games need more Free-like designs....

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Okay, I'm confused. What is the Internet Shitstorm Machine worked up about this week that the comic's deliberately avoiding?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Revolutionary said:
I feel like the industry needs more Larry's. I think there's a place for both Cortana's and Larry's.
I don't think most people would have enough space for Larry. D:

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
That's an interesting concept. I wonder how Metroid games would be with Samus having a digital sidekick. After all the backlash from turning a silent protagonist into an annoying chatterbox in Other M, game devs could sidestep that by having Larry do all the talking.
Another possibility would be to have the two of them talk to each other. Lots of us clearly don't want to hear Samus monologue again, but perhaps harmless banter between the two of them would be an improvement.

Either way, it would be important to make sure he's not annoying. We don't need another Navi.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Bolo The Great said:
I would just like to take this space to re-iterate my love for man-buns :p If we sexualize equally i don't see a problem. Sexualized media will always exist.
Yeah, I can't see even smaller game developers doing that within the next 10 years. Alienated the teenage fanbase would be financially unwise.

Cortana evolving into basically a naked women was kind of uncomfortable.
But she was always a naked woman. She just got more detailed and curvy. Partially because of graphical improvements, partially because they wanted to make her look sexier. Personally none of that bothered me. However, Halo smart AIs aren't meant to be able to change their physical appearance, so from a lore point of view...

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
sageoftruth said:
That's an interesting concept. I wonder how Metroid games would be with Samus having a digital sidekick. After all the backlash from turning a silent protagonist into an annoying chatterbox in Other M, game devs could sidestep that by having Larry do all the talking.
Another possibility would be to have the two of them talk to each other. Lots of us clearly don't want to hear Samus monologue again, but perhaps harmless banter between the two of them would be an improvement.

Either way, it would be important to make sure he's not annoying. We don't need another Navi.
Okay, I haven't played any recent Metroid games, but I'm assuming Samus talks more than the Chief does? Because in that regard Cortana is massively important in Halo games. She is the Chief's guide/companion/smartphone and the juxtaposition of the two personalities (especially in Halo 4 where it was a main theme) has always been a rather interesting aspect of the Halo games for me.

In Halo 3, Cortana is absent for most the game, and even though she's replaced by a Human who sounds the exact same (which was annoying in Halo 2 since they were both often in the same scene), it's just not as good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
I have a serious question;

Why, during these kinds of debates, do people insist on saying/implying that the male primary sex characteristic - our twig and berries, rod and reel, I'm-out-of-euphemisms - is in anyway comparable to female secondary sex characteristics - their boobs, flotation devices, whatever-you-like-to-call-them and their hips/thighs - at all?

Because they're not. At all.
To be fair, what else have we got?

Perfect butts? Chiseled abs? Cube shape?

I don't have any of these things. ;____;

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
MegaManOfNumbers said:
JCAll said:
In Fusion he wasn't much of a "cockblock", he was actually a decent character, but I guess I'd say something entirely different if the GBA's cartdridges had enough space for voice acting :/
He still didn't strip for me. >.>

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
MegaManOfNumbers said:
JCAll said:
Eh, he was a computer program by the time of Fusion. Presumably, there's a mod for that.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Shanahanapp said:
Honestly, games need more Free-like designs....
As somebody who visits anime websites quite a bit, I sometimes ALMOST feel alienated with all the Free! posts that I see. Even /a/, 4chan's bastion of male-dominated anime arguments, has an active Free! post at almost all times.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
An Ceannaire said:
As somebody who visits anime websites quite a bit, I sometimes ALMOST feel alienated with all the Free! posts that I see. Even /a/, 4chan's bastion of male-dominated anime arguments, has an active Free! post at almost all times.
Honestly I think it's refreshing to see different types of male character designs. Really I'm just using Free as an example because it's basically the opposite of the usual male power fantasy thing. Most male characters are designed to make guys want to be them, not to be attractive. Characters in Free and stuff are designed to just straight up be attractive (usually towards women). Games could do with a bit of that diversity!

(and I'm not just saying that so there are more hot guys to ogle in games....)