Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
I'm really not a fan of this. I got some intial laughs out of it, but when I stopped to think about it, I really started to wonder what the marketing department was thinking here.
This ad is a representation of all of the stereotypes and negative portrayals of games that the mainstream media has so much of the time- that games are ultra-violent kids' toys that have little to no artistic value. Gaming as a whole should be trying to move away from this kind of thing, but this kind of advertising takes us firmly back to square one.
I don't play games cause "my mom will hate them" (an ironic statement considering my mother dislikes video games in general and has had a strict "no M rated games" policy that has only recently been lifted, somewhat)- I play them to appreciate the experience of the games and to find new ideas that gaming brings to the artistic world. Okay, and to assassinate people online sometimes too, can't be overly pretentious here. I was intrigued by Dead Space 2- the premise *possible spoiler if you really think so* of playing as a scarred man slowly going insane *spoiler ended* was a great idea that could add a deeper dimension to the horror aspects of the game. Stuff like the Rorschach trailer made me happy because it seemed like this artistic angle was the angle that the team was going for in all aspects of the game. ...And then something like this ad campaign is released that completely turns the ship around in a backwards direction headed towards an iceberg. We've run aground, Captain! I'm not going to be so mad that I won't like the game anymore or anything, but I'm deeply dissapointed in the Dead Space team, especially the marketing divison at EA. They were so close, and yet sunk at the last second.
If gaming want to be recognized as a legitimate artistic medium, stuff like this has to go, and soon. We can't just sit here and complain about being treated unfairly until the problems go away- we have to start being the better men and women and showing that we care about more than just limbs flying in random directions. Gaming can reach great heights as a medium, but we need to do our part to help it get there. I'm not saying don't buy Dead Space 2 just cause of this ad or anything- it looks great and I will probably get it in the near future- I'm just hoping that someday we won't have to have ads like this to support the medium that we love so much.

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
Is it really just me, or is this a dumb idea for an ad campaign? This medium is facing some big challenges right now, and the industry should really be making the effort to prove itself as a legitimate art. Selling games with the claim "your mom hates this", is gonna do more harm than good.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm with everyone who says this ad is offensive and a step backwards for the gaming medium. Or at least nowhere near a step forward. "Your mom doesn't want you to play it." Yeah, ha ha, cute joke despite sounding like you're trying to sell the game to 'minors'. What really burns me up, though, is adding "Blood, violence... and everything you want from a video game" to the mix. That's just immature pandering that we've been trying to get rid of for the last decade.

EDIT: Don't forget. Aside from the occasional sensationalized news piece, television commercials for upcoming video games is about the only exposure to gaming a lot of people get.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Jesus Christ, THEY'RE CALLING ALL OF YOU CHILDREN.

It's just more proof that no one has less respect for the gamers than the game publishers, though judging by the response, I'm not sure whether or not we deserve any better.

If this is clever marketing, then I'm going off to make millions hiring 9-year old models to pose for the Catholic Church.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
TiefBlau said:
Jesus Christ, THEY'RE CALLING ALL OF YOU CHILDREN.

It's just more proof that no one has less respect for the gamers than the game publishers, though judging by the response, I'm not sure whether or not we deserve any better.

If this is clever marketing, then I'm going off to make millions hiring 9-year old models to pose for the Catholic Church.
Corporations care about money, period. Every move they make is a cold logical ploy to that end. As such of-course publishers don't respect gamers anymore than wal-mart considers it's shoppers anything more than disposable resources.