Voice of Duke Nukem Indicates Forever Won't Go Away

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
Amnestic said:

Just give it up guys. Move on. Find a new game.
Chipperz said:
This message has just come in to the Developers of Duke Nukem Forever from everyone on the planet that doesn't work at 3DRealms...

WE DON'T CARE

That is all. Duke Nukem is dead... :(
Thats a big ditto from me.
guys seriously don't encourage these assholes anymore, they have jerked you around long enough.

DJPirtu

Nov 24, 2008
Why do I get his suspicion that Duke Nukem Forever is not a game, but a marketing stunt to every now and then remind people of the existance of Duke, so the next mediocre DN game will sell twice as much as it normaly would.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Wait, he's called John St. John? That's even more outrageous than Duke Nukem. Is Duke Nukem based on real events?

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
It's not coming. Get over it!

DJPirtu said:
Why do I get his suspicion that Duke Nukem Forever is not a game, but a marketing stunt to every now and then remind people of the existance of Duke, so the next mediocre DN game will sell twice as much as it normaly would.
Hey you might be on to something there.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I still have hope it will come out and then ill laugh, laugh when it does ha ahaha hahahahaha. God I hope it does come out.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Honestly, if I were working on Duke Nukem Forever I would make a 15 minute loading screen at the beginning of the game. Yes, just for the lolz.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Smartest thing 3D Realms or whoever is administering what's left could do, is sell the Duke IP to Gearbox. Gearbox would just use the engine to Borderlands to make DNF and have it out before Christmas 2010. And break MW2's sales record. But that ain't gonna happen. I'm better off buying powerball tickets with more hope.
I do know I woulda loved being at that panel.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
If I was St. John why not break the fourth wall and give a little "knowing" wink to the viewers? Keep whatever DN fans out there (are there still any...really?) guessing and light up the Webernet with discussions of the self-driven rumormill. Real or bullshit, I can't honestly think anyone cares anymore. I know I don't, never did. It's just a game, at best, not a cure for cancer or gingivitis; it really doesn't matter if it ever sees the light of day.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's like this, Duke Nukem is a great character, that is one of the reasons why people were willing to look at this whole "Forever" thing as a joke. He also hasn't been overused like a lot of other relatively iconic video gaming characters.

If the "Forever" thing died, I see no real reason why that means the whole IP would be dead as opposed to simply passed to someone else.

For example if somehow a Mario game was cancelled, I would not even remotely suspect it would mean that the whole Mario IP was dead never to be seen again.

I'll also mention that modern gamers are spoiled. When you used to buy games back in the day like say ohhhh... Starflight, it was not unusual to find out (if nothing else from comments on the box or folding cardboard sleeve) that the game might have taken 5 or so years in development. I think Duke Nukem had eight years it was under development. Now that's a lot when your used games being churned out in a year or two, but within my lifetime it's annoying (and surprising) but not totally unheard of. One of the reasons for long development times was in part they each new game had to have a new engine develeped for it, basically ALL the work done. It wasn't like today where you have all the hard work done a handfull of times as the "Unreal" engine or "Havoc Physics" or whatever. One thing that I thought of early on was that DNF was going to try and pioneer a new engine to keep pace with the other big ones, with DNF itself being a sort of tech demo for the framework (sort of like what the Unreal games themselves have become, intended mostly to demo the Unreal engine for other games). I imagine it was a spectacular failure, but that does not mean that we won't see someone take the Duke character and "world" and develop a new game using an established engine.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
The better question is whether or not to ever make the game? It has been rumoured/in development for so long that it would have to be better than sliced bread to make people happy. The expectations are going to be so unrealistic that no game, no matter how great, could live up to it.

This reminds me of Perfect Dark.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
If this comes out, and is everything that's promised, it will make history. If it's crap, there's going to be all sorts of new riot-related world records. That's actually probably why they keep delaying...

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Some one needs to cread a Left 4 Dead mod that turn all of the Zombies into Duke Nuke'ems.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Give it the fuck up already...
This is like that Japanese soldier who kept fighting World War 2 until the early 1970s, except worse, because they already announced the project was dead.
Seriously, 3d Realms has not released anything in the past thirteen years. The only reason they're still in business is because they're operating as a publisher as well as a developer. Cripes, it's time to branch out and do something different.