Volition: We'd "Commit Murder" for Freespace 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Volition: We'd "Commit Murder" for Freespace 3

Jim Boone of Volition [http://www.volition-inc.com/] says there are people at the studio who would happily go out and kill someone if it meant they could make Freespace 3.

Volition has done pretty well for itself over the years with the Freespace [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Faction-Guerrilla-Xbox-360/dp/B0014ULQB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297268131&sr=8-1]. There are two kinds of gamers in the world, those who've played Freespace and those who wish they had, but the space sim genre imploded right around the turn of the millennium and that was the end of that. Yet that small cadre of joystick jockeys still dreams of the day when Freespace will rise again, and so too, it turns out, do the folks at Volition.

"You have no idea," Boone, a producer at Volition, told Freescape 2 [http://pc-mmo.nowgamer.com/news/5142/volition-wed-kill-to-make-freespace-3] didn't sell as well..."

Boone has an interesting theory about the demise of the genre. He blames it on the death of the joystick, which was standard equipment for just about every gamer until the keyboard/mouse controls of the modern FPS muscled it out. "When we did Wolfenstein [http://www.amazon.com/Descent-pc/dp/B0008F6J52/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1297268493&sr=1-1] or something."

"So people just stopped getting joysticks. They were just gone," he continued. "And then you still had console, but it was all digital - so my theory has been, ever since we've got analogue as a standard controller for consoles no one has done a heavy-duty, top, top quality space sim on console."

There are still space combat sims on the market but they tend to be either fan projects or small indie efforts that lack depth and polish, or so thickly obtuse that you have to wrestle with a learning curve shaped like the Schmatterhorn before you get to actually start blowing stuff up. Could Volition one day try to fill the void it left behind? "I feel like there's an opportunity there," Boone said, "but I've got no data to support that."

For what it's worth, Jim, there are probably a few gamers out there who'd be willing to off someone for a chance to play Freespace 3, too. Just something to keep in mind.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
goddamn it id kill many, many puppies to make this happen. volition, come on. see the light! or at least make a smaller game that could could sell to a smaller audience. id buy it. still have a joystick here and everything.

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
I concur! I will happily kill people for FreeSpace 3.

Especially those Aarons out there.

(Kidding, just to mess with people called Aaron who are reading this. C.F. Yahtzee joke)

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Maybe they could take over and rename the vaporware that is the Jumpgate Evolution MMO.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Freespace 1 was THE FIRST VIDEO GAME I EVER PLAYED! It gave me something of an unusual impression of what games were like! I also played the entire thing without a joystick, which I gather is not usual. I was looking into trying to track down a copy of the game for the purpose of nostalgia just last night, so well done on both reading my mind, and really wanting to make me play it again.
aseelt said:
I concur! I will happily kill people for FreeSpace 3.

Especially those Aarons out there.

(Kidding, just to mess with people called Aaron who are reading this. C.F. Yahtzee joke)
Actually it was Adrian :p

EDIT: I actually didn't know you could still get new copies of this game. Thanks for the Amazon link!

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
I want more games like Freelancer and X2: The reunion. X2 took place far too much in your cockpit, you didn't actually do anything but work spreadsheets and kill things. Meanwhile, Freelancer kept letting it's precious, oh so important story get in the way of me just flying around doing what I wanted. Even worse, I had no real control over the story.

I want a game like Freelancer and X2 where I can get truly immersed, run around doing what I like, and control the story. Is that so wrong?

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
YES YES YES. Finally, we need a next gen space sim badly. Make it happen Volition, I'll donate my life for this.

HighVoltage900

Oct 4, 2007
Freespace had a great storyline with elegant storytelling. Freespace 2 had the best space sim combat of any game. I will buy the first run of Freespace 3 disks personally if it will help finance the production.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
RelexCryo said:
I want more games like Freelancer and X2: The reunion. X2 took place far too much in your cockpit, you didn't actually do anything but work spreadsheets and kill things. Meanwhile, Freelancer kept letting it's precious, oh so important story get in the way of me just flying around doing what I wanted. Even worse, I had no real control over the story.

I want a game like Freelancer and X2 where I can get truly immersed, run around doing what I like, and control the story. Is that so wrong?
http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/index.htm

Try that.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
TheBlackKnight said:
RelexCryo said:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/index.htm

Try that.
Thanks for the link!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Uhm, I'm a chemist. If you need some toxins that won't show up on any scans...well, just give me a hint. Or a list of people you don't like, whose houses may or may not spontaneously ignite. This is all hypothetically speaking, of course *winks*

Now, decline of joystick use being responsible for space-sim death? No, Freelancer showed how a space sim can be controlled perfectly well with just a mouse+keyboard.

Also, captcha phrase:
uprin lipophilic. This is just fucking creepy now...

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
My old, beat up logitech attack 3 (that goes constantly out of calibration, you know the one) has been waiting for a space sim for a long time. Assuming the dust comes out and that it still responds to input commands.