Volition: We'd "Commit Murder" for Freespace 3

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The X games are exactly what I was thinking of when I made the "thick and obtuse" remark. I've got a lot of miles out of them over the years (never even came close to finishing, though) but describing them as lacking the "soul" of Freespace is very apt. They feel sterile. Great games, I'll absolutely buy the next one, but it ain't Freespace.

And a mouse just doesn't do it, I'm afraid. It's functional, sure, but you ain't dogfighting unless you're yanking a stick. That's just how it is.
You don't think Freespace was sterile? I couldn't bring myself to care about much in the game when your only interaction with other characters is asking someone with a callsign like Alpha 4 or Gamma 2 to stop shooting your current target.

JoeCool385

May 10, 2010
I'd commit murder for Freespace 3. Genocide, torture, assassination, armed assault, grand theft auto, burglary, arson, larceny, perjury, shoplifting, speeding, double parking, jay-walking, and talking back to my mother for another X-Wing game.

I miss my space flight sims.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Actually, space flight games can work just fine on a standard two-analog controller.
One of the few marvels of the early PS3 titles, IMO, was Warhawk. Not for the gameplay, necessarily, but for the dogfights and the controls therein.

I can think of a few ways to get your average CoD4.3 player into a space flight game; lead that into a strong campaign ala Descent/Freespace and you might be able to break the glass ceiling in the console market.

PC markets have it even better due to having the freedom of nearly any peripheral they choose.

...Just don't start out with motion controls. Save that for later.

Grubnar

Aug 25, 2008
TIE Fighter is, and always will be my personal favorite space fighter sim.
But FREESPACE was truly great, perhapps even the best space figher sim ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-xcgBL1mY

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
So how many times would we have to purchase Freespace 2 for them to start developing a third?

uphunk114

Jun 2, 2009
I am not an old gamer. I wasn't around for the amiga days, the first consoles or any windows before 7. But the demo for this game was my first computer experience and it stuck with me for years. Until I got it recently from gog.com I kept looking for it in the ten dollar bins around my city. If there was any possibility of a sequel I would back it 100%, but only if they made a promise to maintain the standard of tight controls, excellent story and fast paced dog fights. In the mean time, killing the rakshaza destroyers will have to be enough.

derek_smart

Oct 15, 2009
It will never get made. Haeve is too busy with Fallout to care about a dead franchise in an out-of-reach genre.

I'd still make it though if I had the chance but maybe only for XBLA and/or PSN at a $15 price point or thereabouts. Or an MMO (!) even.

I did try to get in on it several years back, but changed my mind. Oh well.

To be honest, some things are better left untouched. My gut feeling is that anyone who is crazy enough to tackle Freespace3 will have some seriously irrate - and some rabidly psychotic - fans to contend with. Heck, I felt like Salman Rushdie back when I even hinted that I was considering making FS3. I was even scared to open the fridge let alone roll over to see a severed horse head instead of my wife. Good times.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
X3 is good, And they've already got the stand-alone 'expansion' X3: Terran Conflict, they've already updated X3, x2, and X, and there 'expansions', with a Superbox Collection.

Another game very similar, is Eve online.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
I wonder if the guys at HLP have heard about this?
Wouldn't surprise me...

Murder doesn't begin to cover it. FS2 was amazing - for FS3, I would glass planets.
Sadly, the newspost here is just so much fluff. It's like teasing the Duke Nukem fanbase with the Forever release date - except worse because they actually get their decade-overdue game. *sigh*

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Wow, had no idea that so many people played Freespace...

I hereby pledge allegiance to the Freespace Army.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Sounds promising. If Bobby Kotick dies in mysterious circumstances I've got $5,000 to donate towards the making of the game. Anyone else willing to join the cause? Come on people lets make this happen!

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, I reckon we're about ready for a Mass Effect/SpaceSim hybrid. That'd sell like hotcakes.

Inglonias

Aug 4, 2009
I'd kill to play Freespace 3!

Kieve said:
I wonder if the guys at HLP have heard about this?
Wouldn't surprise me...
[url = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,74431.0.html]Yes they have.[/url]

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"So people just stopped getting joysticks. They were just gone," he continued. "And then you still had console, but it was all digital - so my theory has been, ever since we've got analogue as a standard controller for consoles no one has done a heavy-duty, top, top quality space sim on console."
There aren't nearly enough buttons on a console controller. How the heck am I supposed to cycle through targeting defensive turrets on a capital ship?

hideomgskojima

Dec 1, 2008
I just started playing FS2 again, after 8 years. Damn the Sathanas was a hard bugger to beat as an 11 year old.

Freespace 3 would be an awesome thing to behold, just got to finally complete 2 and I will be able to give more of an insight to how I would like FS3 to go.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
zaphod121 said:
, ever since we've got analogue as a standard controller for consoles no one has done a heavy-duty, top, top quality space sim on console."

What about Colony Wars on PS2. Great actions, sound and some of the best space combat controls ever used in a game (using analog controls). I'd love to see a next gen sequel to this
Tiamat666 said:
Colony Wars was on PSX, not PS2. Your point stands, however. Awesome game.

TheBlackKnight said:
http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/index.htm

Try that.
Dude, that looks freakin awesome. What is that? Why have I never heard from this game?
Because it's one of the aforementioned indie games. Another great space combat/trading game which I would recommend to any fan of the genre.

OT: Why can't they just make a space combat game for console and call it something other than Freespace? I'd play it.