Vote Now for Film Fest's Viewer's Choice

Annexis

Nov 18, 2009
I can't wait until we actually know what First Cut means. Ambiguity will be the death of me.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
Aw man... Mine didn't make it first cut. Now i feel stupid. Ok, I was feeling stupid before, now I feel REALLY stupid.

It'd be good to know about this first cut thing before I spammed all my friends to vote for my video, though.

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
fully watched first page.
many good entries..unlike last year which there was about what 2 or 3 good ones..
anyhow..
here is my favs so far (of which i will vote for the viewers choice)..
Creature caster masters-Love it..good art,fun jokes... like the way they handled the yu gi and pokemon references

Game Science - Good idea and was implemented good too

Pro Gamer Gauntlet - love it ..specially the acting..hats off to the retro master

Tales from the tables - Soo much better from 'i hit it with my axe' nuff said

Carmen 1.0 - good premise acting and implementation was good though the postman was bit off

Radio game theatre - "We Got PILLS" nuff said /best of the bunch/ though the actual video needs some action

Show about Games show - pretty fun with non-sensical humor.

I sincerely hope that one of you guys will win :)

ryansmith1285

Oct 29, 2010
Wa wa waaaaaa.
I added the firstcut div tag to my entry in google Chrome's inspect elements.
Made the first cut ribbon appear on mine. On my computer only.
Sad panda is... well kinda pathetic.

Jimtopia

Slaving away over a hot laptop.
Oct 3, 2008
Callate said:
First impressions:

"Creature Capture Masters" has very nice production values and is the only one so far to actually make me laugh aloud.
Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it.

Oh, and that's really awesome that you guys thought my video was good enough to make first cut! I am really excited to have my video be judged by that list.

Only suggestion I have about the film festival is link to the thread for the video on the video page, I had to go hunting in the forums just to find mine.

JoshTheater

LRR Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
I'm very grateful for the First Cut thing. Seems that the idea there was, they know most people voting aren't going to be able to watch every single video submitted. So if they just put all the videos up in no order, people would watch a few of them, and then just vote for the best one out of the ones they saw, which considering the amount of entries would probably be nowhere near the best.

So to make a good video more likely to be chosen, the judging panel, which HAS watched every single video that was submitted, did us the favor of putting the videos they think are most worth watching on the first page.

And I have to say, good riddance. I watched all of the videos on the first page and there are some truly decent videos, and some subpar ones, and maybe a couple that weren't very good at all. But dear lord, venturing away from the first page of entries was a mistake. I watched a few from other pages and GOOD LORD it is a wasteland of pointless and horrible submissions. That's not to say all of them are, there are a good deal of okay ones in there, even one or two that I personally would have put on the first page over some that the judges chose...and of course I haven't yet seen all of them. But most of the videos that didn't make the first page that I saw were a complete waste of time.

In any case, from the first page my favorites are: Tales From The Table, Carmen 1.0, Breaking Blizzard, and Show About Games Show. Have voted for all four of them today, and will probably continue to vote for all four in the coming days. I may get more picky as we near the 8th though.

Edit: By the way, word of advice for everybody who submitted a video: the number one thing that can break a video is the audio. If it's difficult to hear what the people in your video are saying, your video is just about done for.

APSunder

Filmmaker
May 25, 2010
JoshTheater said:
I'm very grateful for the First Cut thing. Seems that the idea there was, they know most people voting aren't going to be able to watch every single video submitted. So if they just put all the videos up in no order, people would watch a few of them, and then just vote for the best one out of the ones they saw, which considering the amount of entries would probably be nowhere near the best.

So to make a good video more likely to be chosen, the judging panel, which HAS watched every single video that was submitted, did us the favor of putting the videos they think are most worth watching on the first page.

And I have to say, good riddance. I watched all of the videos on the first page and there are some truly decent videos, and some subpar ones, and maybe a couple that weren't very good at all. But dear lord, venturing away from the first page of entries was a mistake. I watched a few from other pages and GOOD LORD it is a wasteland of pointless and horrible submissions. That's not to say all of them are, there are a few okay ones in there, and of course I haven't yet seen all of them so there might be a few gems. But by far, most of the videos that didn't make the first page that I saw were a waste of time.

In any case, from the first page my favorites are: Tales From The Table, Carmen 1.0, Breaking Blizzard, and Show About Games Show. Have voted for all four of them today, and will probably continue to vote for all four in the coming days. I may get more picky as we near the 8th though.
I'm mostly in agreement with you...though I implore you to check out my submission (Sunder). I don't want to promote it or make other videos sound bad...but...I think it deserved a spot on the first page based on story, acting, directing, editing, fx, writing, original music...pretty much everything except the fact that it doesn't DIRECTLY relate to video games themselves--though you could say the same for about 5 of the top 20 and 3 shows on The Escapist

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I liked zebra santa and other people to, although it was the only one I watched, there are to many!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I'm feeling like I give too many shows the vote.
Or there are just a lot of good shows.
Dammit, there's no way in hell I'll be able to watch all of them...

shadow946

Jul 22, 2009
So if the videos are supposed to be shuffled why are all the first cuts on the first page? There are some on there that don't really demonstrate the criteria (no offense) and quite a few on the later pages that do.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
JoshTheater said:

And I have to say, good riddance. I watched all of the videos on the first page and there are some truly decent videos, and some subpar ones, and maybe a couple that weren't very good at all. But dear lord, venturing away from the first page of entries was a mistake. I watched a few from other pages and GOOD LORD it is a wasteland of pointless and horrible submissions. That's not to say all of them are, there are a good deal of okay ones in there, even one or two that I personally would have put on the first page over some that the judges chose...and of course I haven't yet seen all of them. But most of the videos that didn't make the first page that I saw were a complete waste of time.

Edit: By the way, word of advice for everybody who submitted a video: the number one thing that can break a video is the audio. If it's difficult to hear what the people in your video are saying, your video is just about done for.
I guess the sound thing applies to my video (not gonna say it's the only deal breaker there - I liked the result a lot, of course, but I'm too close to it to have a clear view) but I really didn't have the money to buy a better mic. When you live in a third world country, are up to your neck in debt and your dog has a skin disease, you HAVE to choose the 6 dollar* mic over the 9 dollar mic. Not asking for condescension (I'm still better off than the vast majority over here), it's just the way it is.

* We don't deal in dollars, obviously, I'm adjusting these values roughly for the exchange rate.

APSunder

Filmmaker
May 25, 2010
shadow946 said:
So if the videos are supposed to be shuffled why are all the first cuts on the first page? There are some on there that don't really demonstrate the criteria (no offense) and quite a few on the later pages that do.
I'm pretty sure that they're not in any way random. In fact, I think the entries are all ordered according to votes from the judges/critics. I'm just as surprised as you that I'm not on the leader board, though I do see where they could've marked me down for lack of relativity to video games.

Braininator

Oct 3, 2008
JoshTheater said:
It's a good theory, but I'm not immediately convinced that they watched every video. Perhaps there is room for adjustment if certain videos get a high audience reaction.

JoshTheater said:
I agree, but that said, I'd imagine audio is one of the easier things to fix for future videos, and something that could be looked over if a video shows overall promise. It's more reasonable to say to someone "Fix your audio" as opposed to "Fix your plot".

Omid Niliaram

Feb 27, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
I liked zebra santa and other people to, although it was the only one I watched, there are to many!
Thanks imnotparanoid for the praise on my video "the adventures of zebra santa and sometimes other people too". Unfortunately we couldn't show more of Solid Snake and actually show how the character would act because 5 minutes is not enough time. We only had enough time to show Zebra Santa and Zombie Genghis Kahn.

Rodaidh

Nov 2, 2010
Hey, theres a few good videos so far!

For Cooking with a psychopathic Glasgow knife man, Gaming related humour and banter consider checking out our video: Manichus TV episode 1- knifes, bread and coke. (2nd page) :p.

Numbert

May 15, 2008
I'm a little upset about the first cut feature. I don't know what criteria those choices were based on, but I feel like there were several on the latter pages that far surpassed many of those on the first page. Also being relegated to the fourth page has ensured that literally noone has seen my entry despite the amount of effort that went into it. Very disappointing for me.

APSunder

Filmmaker
May 25, 2010
Finished watching all the submissions. The amount of work in a lot of the submissions is astonishing. Still keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the competition guys.

APSunder

Filmmaker
May 25, 2010
Numbert said:
I'm a little upset about the first cut feature. I don't know what criteria those choices were based on, but I feel like there were several on the latter pages that far surpassed many of those on the first page. Also being relegated to the fourth page has ensured that literally noone has seen my entry despite the amount of effort that went into it. Very disappointing for me.
Agreed. Your video deserves a lot more recognition than at least a good 3-5 on the first page, in my opinion.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Continuing thoughts (if you care)

The Midnight Channel: Webcam footage? Seriously? Aside from the lack of audio and visual fidelity inherent to the medium, there's just nothing very interesting here. One of the participants apparently has a degree in the field, and still doesn't contribute any insights.

Q.E.D: There's sort of an interesting visual style to the backgrounds, but none of the actors speaks with an ounce of affect. I recognize that this may have been an intentional choice to emphasize the synthetic nature of the setting, but it was a poor choice, making the rest of the proceedings that much harder to engage.

Blue Sky: Well, that's an interesting way to keep your animation labor down. Not "good", mind you, but interesting. Annnd once again the audio is muffled and hard to make out.

Do It To It: I appreciate the idea of trying to do a "variety skit" format, but even at the relatively short length, many segments still take one mildly funny idea and push it past expiration. The first segment also has the audio problems that plague many pieces, compounded by the attempt at a Nazi accent. Still, some decent costumes, props, and effects, and more professional than many.

Unearthed: "Minecraft" mechinima. Not the worst idea in the world, I guess, but the video spends most of its running time forcing the viewer to stare at dark-on-dark graphics. Minecraft's flat, cartoonish sound effects also clash with the creator's apparently serious tone ambitions, and the spoken audio- almost all exposition- has noise issues.

Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: The actual "traning montage" segments are quite funny, but the framing story is uninteresting. Still, it's all very competently done, and the bits of visual video game reference (start buttons, achievements, etc.) are nicely handled.

More to come, assuming no one screams at me to stop.