"Wait... its 3 am!?"

Baldur Moon

Aug 4, 2012
I've been uttering this way more than I care to admit after finally discovering Minecraft a month ago.(Better late than never indeed!) There's just something about the aesthetics and the fact that it's basically virtual legos in a sandbox that makes me forget clocks exist.

Anyone else have one of those games they spend an ungodly amount of time playing but don't even notice?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Ya Kerbal Space Program ... its been taking a serious toll on my sleep.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Skyrim, Oblivion, Minecraft, Fallout 3 (previously), Mass effect 1, 2, and 3 (previously), and even Limbo once. I have to get up for work everyday now and force myself to watch the clock, so it doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
What do you think HAPPENS when I play an RPG?

I originally got Final Fantasy Anthologies and spent the next few weeks playing from night until 6AM.

I obtained Persona 3, played for a long-ass time all night and informed the girl who was later to become my girlfriend "Jack cannot come to the computer today, as he has been lost in the Dark Hour after playing Persona 3". Persona 4 had a similar effect.

The time I spent on Dark Cloud, Fallout games, Skies of Arcadia, Shadow Madness, SMT games, Discworld games...

Good times.

targren

May 13, 2009
I've had the same problem, with the same game. The only difference is that it's usually the sun coming in through the window that tells me I need to turn off the game and get in the shower to head to work.

Thankfully, I beat the EnderDragon today so there's not much left for me to do, unless I roll a superflat creative world to make my replica of Babylon 5...

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Well it actually is almost 3 AM where I am and I'm on Escapist, so...

I'll do this with a lot of games though, most recently Skyrim and Tales of Vesperia. I think I normally get a decent sleep on Pokemon White, probably 'cause of the clock on the touch screen.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
That happens to me every night, though with anything (a night out, Netflix, reading, studying, hanging out with friends) and not just video games. And I end up going to sleep at 4AM and getting about 3-5 hours of sleep every night. I basically run on black coffee. I should really feel physically worse than I do. It'll catch up to me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Any RPG really for me since I easily loose track of time since I always think, 'Oh one more mission won't kill me!' And then several hours have passed and the next thing I know I'm seeing light from my window....

Skyrim and Diablo II were the biggest offenders for me, and I used to play those games when I couldn't sleep and I wanted to do something mindless until I'm tired. NEVER AGAIN!

Also, every single new Assassin's Creed game since I play it the minute I get it at midnight, and then I stop around 3 AM-ish.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Just Cause 2 sucked up almost all of my free time when I first got it.

Other than that, I right now have nothing better to do than play my video games so whichever one I become obsessed with takes up a lot of time. Currently it's Soul Calibur 2.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
I mostly do it when I want to power through a whole walkthrough of games I replay or revisit. I'm still one of the few gamers who want the replayability to be mostly single player.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I play way too much League of Legends... As in playing into the waking hours of the night. Gotta keep buying random Champions for no reason!

Leona looks cool? Sold!

Completely hyped for the new Katarina, she is still my favourite character in the game after all. She looks a lot more... sinister this way.

[sub]Cu-cuz her subtitle's "The Sinister Blade?" Ha, that's a good one.[/sub]

I'm probably going to miss the old Shunpo animation though. I liked the simplicity of her disappearing into purple smoke and reappearing behind an enemy instantly with no idea how she pulled that off with zero magic powers. She must have infinite smoke bombs hidden in that outfit as well as infinite blades...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Currently it's Warlock Master of the Arcane. In civ games I'm usually a peaceful builder, so my endgame always ends up with me giving the exact same build orders to dozens of cities every single turn and nothing else. Warlock forces you to be aggressive, so there is always something to do, and just one more turn of fighting you want to do.

Baldur Moon

Aug 4, 2012
targren said:
I've had the same problem, with the same game. The only difference is that it's usually the sun coming in through the window that tells me I need to turn off the game and get in the shower to head to work.

Thankfully, I beat the EnderDragon today so there's not much left for me to do, unless I roll a superflat creative world to make my replica of Babylon 5...
If your planning on going life size... God help you and your employment :p

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Games, TV series, James May, Movies, Chatting and online shopping are all things that cause me to, almost every night, go to bed way later than I should have =p. And dont get me started on the induvidual ones, because that list would be far too long!

Bestival

May 5, 2012
It's 3am in the morning
Put my key in the door 'n' bodies laying all over the floor 'n'
I don't remember how they got there, but I guess I must've killed them,
killed them

--------

Me and my best friend had this problem a LOT when we just got Dungeon Defenders... Thank god I was unemployed at the time, and that he is doomed to fail his course sooner or later anyway.

"Aw fuck, we failed on wave 27 again!"
'Lolz dude, its 5 AM... ok, lets try 1 more, then I really need some sleep'

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Most RPGs to be honest.

But recently, the main contender has definitely been Minecraft. Time just...goes. Miracle of Sound summed it up aptly in his song, to be honest.

It also happens with reading, if I have a particularly good book. Currently reading A Song of Ice and Fire. Looked at the clock last night and it was 2:30am....had no idea.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Antari said:
Ya Kerbal Space Program ... its been taking a serious toll on my sleep.
I've seen this game. Good God does it look fun.

OT: Recently I've started playing Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. It cheats by hiding the clock from me though.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Galactic Civilizations 2: Endless Universe

STILL the best 4X game out there.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
3 or 4 AM tends to be my normal bedtime, so.

FalloutJack said:
What do you think HAPPENS when I play an RPG?
This is one of the strangest questions I've seen asked on a message board. No one here knows anything about you; how the crap would they have any supposition about what would happen if you came across an RPG, or anything?