Warner Bros. is Looking to Bring Back The Matrix - Updated

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Marter said:
Keanu Reeves [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/keanu+reeves] has, in the past, claimed that he would be open to doing further Matrix movies - but only if the Wachowskis continued to write and direct. If they're not involved, the best fans could hope for would be a cameo from the star.
How do you figure that, if he literally said himself that his involvement depends on the Wachowskis being in charge?

Anyway for me, the Matrix was never the kung-fu. It was the guns. Lots of guns. The lobby is still the best scene in the series, and the moment Neo learns to stop bullets, that's where you end the story. Y'know- just like the first movie did.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Ezekiel said:
Because that would require for the person writing to have a deeper understanding of the lore and make a cohesive story around that, one that doesn't contradict the rules of the original and estabilish characters within that environment, a remake involves them just using a script they already know it's good, only under a different vision. And the clash of that vision with the old movie is why remakes made people wary.

They COULD do a Mad Max: Fury Road and set the action up to eleven, but Reloaded had the best action scenes and in Revolutions the stakes couldn't get higher than that, the person who gets the job of writing anything Matrix without rebooting the one we already have has already cornered him/herself.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
They could try making Matrix 2 and 3 again. Maybe this time it will work.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
LysanderNemoinis said:
I'm not entirely opposed to more Matrix, especially given that the Wachowski brothers aren't involved. Ever since they went off the deep end, their writing ability disappeared.
Wachowski brothers? Who are they?

Don't you mean the Wachowski sisters?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I think The Matrix is overrated. Looking back I have a hard time believing it's rated R. Aside from its own sequels (which I decided not to watch) it had a lot of other movies that looked like clones. I now feel even worse for seeing Underworld: Blood Wars after reading this news.

I think me watching another sequel, reboot, or clone might as well be that torture scene from A Clockwork Orange.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Eh... I feel like the franchise told as much of the story as it had to tell, and then kept going for a while after that still. I certainly agree it doesn't need a reboot either.

This gives new meaning to the term "zombie movie".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
The Matrix Rebooted?

The Matrix Relaunched?

The Matrix Revisited?

The Matrix Recollections?

Stuff that begins with "R" aside, I'm kind of "meh" about this. I think there's lots of stories that you can tell within the Matrix universe (as stuff like the Animatrix and comics proved), but I figure this is going to be either a reboot, or a continuation of the trilogy that isn't needed, and something that was already done in The Matrix Online.

Oh, and apparently being "red pilled" is now a meme for having 'woken up' from media control or something, so there is that. 0_0
Those are some funny names. As far as I am concerned, there are only two Matrix movies: the original and Animatrix. So WB can fuck off on either doing an unnecessary reboot or doing another sequel. Besides, everything the Matrix did is old hat. What else can they bring to the table if the Wachowskis are not involved?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ehhhhh...while I'm personally not all that interested, I wouldn't call foul on this one like I've done for a lot of these remakes/reboots/etc. So long as they tell new stories within the Matrix (which is little more than a universe to set stories within) then I see no harm in it.

If they just want to tell the exact same story with a new writer, then fuck that shit. :p

Darth Rosenberg said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Honestly I didn't think it was that great a film series the first time around (I'm a complete weirdo who thinks the second one is actually the best), though it obviously made that dollar y'all so I can se why they want it back
I do, generally speaking, think the first's the best in terms of at least having the most focus, but I personally reject the 'the sequels were shite' assessment, and see all three as necessary parts to tell Neo's and Smith's stories. To me it's like some sprawling three act narrative, and the original would feel so lackluster, simplistic, and anticlimactic on its lonesome.
While I don't count myself as part of the population that considers the 2nd and 3rd movies to be trainwrecks that completely ruined all the good things the 1st movie setup, I'm also not going to sugarcoat it and say that they were good movies.

The 2nd movie is basically just filler, which isn't even necessarily a bad thing if they had worked with all the things they had setup and established in it. As it is, the entire movie is basically just Chekhov's Gun. "Any time you here a story about vampires or werewolves or other kinds of monsters, it's really just a program that's gone rogue."

Alright...so where's all the vampires and werewolves? They gave us the ghost twins, but so what? They should have gone full-ham with it and had Neo fighting actual monsters! :D

Then there was all the pseudo-philosophical bullshit in the TV room, but I won't bother getting into that because it's all a buncha bullshit. As for the 3rd movie, it was a DBZ fight and a "Yes, Neo truly is Jesus. Just look at his Jesus pose!" shot.

While I'll agree that the first movie needed more and that the two movies to follow it weren't complete dumpster fires, I still say that they could have been much better.

LysanderNemoinis said:
I'm not entirely opposed to more Matrix, especially given that the Wachowski brothers aren't involved.
C'mon, whilst you're technically correct, you really should at least just say 'siblings'.
I just get the sneaking suspicion that Nemoinis really doesn't care. :p

Kahani

May 25, 2011
altnameJag said:
Man, I can't wait for a rehash made without the involvement of the creators to completely miss the point of the original.
Eh, there are plenty of rehashes that do have the involvement of the creators, but still manage to completely miss the point of the original. Hell, the second two Matrix films are arguably examples of exactly that. If anything, getting a fresh perspective from someone who wasn't involved with the original is exactly what a reboot needs, especially when the creator/s have had rather less success recently as in this case.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
The Matrix does not need a reboot. Other stories focusing on other characters in the same universe could be entertaining though.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'll stick to the original triology. They never needed a reboot or a continuation. The Animatrix already gave more backstory to the triology, and is actually good. So what they're planning now is pretty redundant.

LysanderNemoinis said:
Wachowski brothers
Sisters. Not that hard.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, the first had some special effects that everyone ripped off afterwards, the second and third had Hugo Weaving.

The actual story and philosophy and all was dreadful. To be as successful the same way, you either need great special effects that people will rip off, or the right actor playing the villain. Can't guarantee either. Leave it alone.

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
I am not all that thrilled about a "reboot" or "retcon" or whatnot. The movies and anime were very good of telling the story of The Matrix. And I can already hear the diehards raging about no Keanu involved since the Bros are not involved. If anything, I would be for a kind of prequel(s) of what happened the first time, explained during the scene between Neo and The Architect. Even if the opening scene was that and then bounces back to when it all happened. The machines taking over and everything.

Again, I am not for a "reboot" or "retcon" or whatnot, but some prequel(s) I would hop on board a bit.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Squilookle said:
How do you figure that, if he literally said himself that his involvement depends on the Wachowskis being in charge?
Because coercing someone into a cameo is a lot easier of a process than convincing them to star.

Oct 22, 2011
Oh right, because the followups of the original movie were sooo good...

Whatever, i'm hope that Keanu, now that he hit the jackpot with John Wick, won't be coming back to this.

Hawki said:
The Matrix Rebooted?

The Matrix Relaunched?

The Matrix Revisited?

The Matrix Recollections?
The Matrix Remade
The Matrix Restarted
The Matrix RedPilled(this one would guarantee a viral marketing success)

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Ezekiel said:
Why does everybody think it will be a remake whenever this question comes up?
Seen any movies in the past ten years? Lol, I exaggerate, of course, but... Let's just say there's been an awful lot of remakes recently.

Personally, I think there was only ever room for one Matrix movie. I wouldn't mind being wrong about that, but it already spent its big ideas, so what's left but sillier and sillier action scenes and maybe some mumbo jumbo?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Poetic Nova said:
I'll stick to the original triology. They never needed a reboot or a continuation. The Animatrix already gave more backstory to the triology, and is actually good. So what they're planning now is pretty redundant.

LysanderNemoinis said:
Wachowski brothers
Sisters. Not that hard.
No, brothers. Genetics aren't hard either. Quite straightforward, actually.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
Poetic Nova said:

LysanderNemoinis said:
Wachowski brothers
Sisters. Not that hard.
No, brothers. Genetics aren't hard either. Quite straightforward, actually.
Ah, so you're not misinformed. You're just a dick. Gotcha
How am I being a dick? If the sky is blue and you believe the sky is orange, how am I being an asshole for pointing out a fact? Anyone can hold whatever thoughts and feelings they want, but those things cannot change scientific facts. If they were able to change themselves genetically and internally, then I would believe them. Similarly, Shaun King and Rachel Dolezal can claim to be black all they want, but it doesn't change the fact they're white, no matter how many times they get fake tans. I'm sorry if you probably don't believe the Earth is round or that the planet is heating up, but those are facts too. And by the way, nice how quickly you went for a personal attack. Stay classy.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
The Matrix Revelations
The Matrix Renaissance
The Matrix Revival
The Matrix [Repost]
The Fantabulous Contraption of Professor A.I. Overlord

I mean, it's the reboot that fans have been begging for since... well, since before even the first Matrix movie came out, over 200 years ago.