Warner Bros. is Looking to Bring Back The Matrix - Updated

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Might be interested if they just admitted the whole "Human batteries" thing was BS instead of trying to squirm their way around it when called on it in Reloaded(or was it Revolutions?).

Especially since the Animatrix more or less lays out the Machines never wanted to fight in the first place and the whole point of the Matrix could easily be construed as "Saving our species until the earth recovers enough to support human life again". But apparently "Batteries" made more sense to someone.
Maybe that's the actual purpose of the Matrix, but not what they told the agent programs. For... reasons? Viewed in that light, the resistance really are terrorists and Zion is a cancer that threatens the future of the human race.

What would happen if Neo found that out and believed it, but nobody else did? (Okay, maybe Trinity, too.) Neo fighting for the machines (and the future of humanity) against the resistance could be fun if done correctly.

You'd need to ignore most of the sequels, but (as I said earlier) I'd be perfectly happy to do that.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The biggest reason they do not need a reboot?

In any fiction where reality is being distorted, you can easily have a new story in which the hero finds out what he thought happened never really did: including his own death.

Why did Neo have powers in the real world? (He stopped the squid things if I recall correctly). His powers should be limited to the world of the Matrix. IMHO: He only thought he was in the real world.

This allows for a heck of a lot of story fixes and mind blowing stuff. It would be like seeing Arnie woken up at the end of Total Recall: back to road work and your very much alive wife Arnie!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Squilookle said:
Marter said:
Squilookle said:
How do you figure that, if he literally said himself that his involvement depends on the Wachowskis being in charge?
Because coercing someone into a cameo is a lot easier of a process than convincing them to star.
Cameo. Starring role. They all fall under 'involvement', wouldn't you say?
Hence "coerced" and "convinced." And "the best fans could hope for."

I never said it was likely or was happening. I just think it's possible, even without the Wachowskis, that he could cameo in the thing.

You're free to disagree.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
"Possible" is a pretty safe assertion. I'd say that as long as Keanu Reeves wasn't dead, it'd still be possible, but recently Rogue One had multiple cameos from dead actors, FFS.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I could see them creating a transgender hero this time around.

Think about it. The Matrix operates on self image. Who is to say that your physical body has to match that you inhabit in the Matrix.

Be even more of a shock when you get freed and find out you aren't physically who you thought you were. Imagine the temptation the Agents could use on this new One.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Would be good to update the article that it isn't a remake/reboot.
http://movieweb.com/matrix-4-not-reboot-remake/

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I have doubts I will derive pleasure from this. Time will tell but can't we just let IPs die off in piece?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
Guess I'm just yet another 'phobe' who hates people for no reason, right?
You've decided to dismiss people's gender identity for no particular reason, and also that you understand trans issues better than trans people do. It's not particularly surprising if you are to get judged by trans people because of this, and if some people happen to decide you seem rather transphobic. Now, I'm not saying that myself (in the actively hating trans people sense), but if we are to broaden transphobia into being biased or intolerant of trans people, it's easy to read that into what you've written.

You said "they need to see therapists". Anyone who knows anything about trans people will tell you that trying to make trans people into cis people by therapy simply does not work, and tends to be exceedingly harmful. Accepting trans people as the gender they identify as does work, and has the added bonus of not affecting anyone else in any way.

As you say, it's fact vs feelings, and the facts are not on your side.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I am against the reboot but if they did, it would make total sense as in the Matrix had rebooted itself!

Still I think it is likely they will revive it since the Smiths made a cameo in the Lego Batman Movie!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LysanderNemoinis said:
Poetic Nova said:
I'll stick to the original triology. They never needed a reboot or a continuation. The Animatrix already gave more backstory to the triology, and is actually good. So what they're planning now is pretty redundant.

LysanderNemoinis said:
Wachowski brothers
Sisters. Not that hard.
No, brothers. Genetics aren't hard either. Quite straightforward, actually.
Do I need to explain the difference between gender and sex?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
LysanderNemoinis said:
And once again, we have feelings versus facts.
Says the person whose forum avatar references an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory popularised by the NSDAP.

No, no. That's a cheap shot. Let's go through and find out what a "factual" argument looks like, shall we.

LysanderNemoinis said:
Ultimately, until society is willing to face facts and try to help people rather than indulge them, you're free to do whatever you want with yourself.
"Indulging" people, as you put it, is helping them. In fact, it's the most factually effectual way of helping them, no matter what your feelings say.

LysanderNemoinis said:
But if this continues, at what point does it stop?
Wherever your personal feelings say it stops, because this is a slippery slope argument.

LysanderNemoinis said:
Fundamentally, how is that different?
Because age, ambiguities over at what point we count the beginning of life aside, is a stable and immutable property of the human subject. Gender identity is not and cannot be shown to be such by any scientific process. Your feeling that this is the same does not make it the same.

LysanderNemoinis said:
If you think this is just a slippery slope fallacy..
I don't think this is a slippery slope fallacy. It factually is.

LysanderNemoinis said:
This isn't just about this one issue, it's about a society understanding that certain things are immutable, and provably so.
And certain things are not immutable, and provably so. Gender identity is provably one of those things. If it were not, then it would be impossible for someone to not identify with their birth sex.

And if you think this argument would have been unthinkable 50 years ago, have you read Freud or the early psychoanalysts? That shit is going to blow your mind.

But then, given your avatar you probably think psychoanalysis is a conspiracy by Jews to destroy white culture from within..

ScorpionPrince

Sep 15, 2009
A matrix sequel that puts the original trilogy on its head would be nice. The original purpose of keeping humans in the matrix was not to generate power with body heat, but instead, they use their brains to mass calculate on solving a problem. What problem? maybe something that threatens the real life existence of the machines. Maybe something that threatens them both, which means that the machines conscripted the humans unknowingly, trying to save them both. The idea of using human's brain power was considered by the (then) warkowski brothers, but they thought that audiences wouldn't get it. Maybe now they do? What do you think about this general premise?